No announcement yet.

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, in a actual 2 player heated battle...its not easy to try and get a parry to connect. There are a whole host of mind games, fakes, dummies the other player can do to catch the person who is attempting to parry an attack.

"I'm saying that as parrying technically gives you the advantage in a situation it should cost you something for doing it."

Well, messing up a parry is the cost. In SFZ and KOF the counters were relativley safer as you had to be blocking before executing the counter. If someone is jumping towards you...its not a sure thing he will attack so you can get the parry. Even if he does attack and you manage to parry you still need to attack (an adequate move, depends on situation) after to make the most of it, which in the heat of the moment is hard to do. Also even if you parry someones attack, they can still quickly try and recover\evade or try and hit you back with an attack, or it could be a multiple hit attack like a hurricane kick which will just end up twatting you the next hit. Parrying a Super Art for example and not doing anything to follow after it is just as dumb as not blocking it in the first place.

I feel the SF3 TS parry system to be the best innovation in a 2d fighter since the Super Move. Simply because no move is invinceable from it, everything can be stopped...the trick is learning to using it effectively and wisely. Mix in the unpredictablity of a human opponent, and the balance of using a parry has more risk than benefits.

No more can Ken, Ryu and Gouki and Remy's\Guile anti air moves be invinceable. For example waiting for a fireball to come towards you, only to jump over it and get hit with a dragon punch over and over again. Parry the fireball, or parry the dragon punch and PWN ken\ryu\gouki player. Best example of this is that non projectile characters like the grapplers have the opportunity to finnally stop the hadoken abusers by walking straight towards them and get in their face. (Hugo can absolutely OWN a Shoto player)

With the parry, it has added an extra dimension to Street Fighter imo. It is a skilled technique which is not easy to do, it takes off NO damage, and if miss-timed or not capitalised on....you will be punished. I think you should actually play the game before slagging it off completley from what it seems from a few random goes.

Oh and for Necro's story...finish arcade mode

EDIT: DOH Saurian and Firsty beat me to it...im not bitter :P

/me curses crappy typing speed
    Last edited by jassi singh; 04-08-2004, 10:51.

Comment

The more examples the better! You both highlighted stuff I cba to type . I'll just keep resurrecting the thread

Comment

Parrying is not all that and is better in moderation than constantly using it. Why parry Chun-Li's kick super when you can block it then parry the last hit? Sure you suffer some block damage but you still can get a counter in at the end. Being solid and consistent is more important than show boating as eventually you'll fluff up one of the hits and look a right dick. Parrying from a jump in, judging high or low parry when corner trapped and parrying EX fireballs are useful skills as you can create chances from these or close down the other fighter. Parrying a super is pointless and adds nothing to your game. It's something you put time into once you're tournament standard but it's not important and will never win you a match. Likewise why parry a low forward against Chun-Li? The move is fast, recovers quickly and if you time your parry wrongly you lose 50% of your life bar. If you're trying to parry everything then you're not playing the game properly.

Comment

Ok i've finally got my copy.

1. The original arcade music is way better, thank you Capcom for putting it back in.

2. Gameplay wise this seems spot on from the arcade, the DC version was about 80% accurate if that.

3. I like having the filter on for now, looks fine. Filter off makes it look like the Dreamcast version visually but without the glitches and sprite break ups.

4. It's Third Strike!! Woo!

5. The AI is 100 times better in this than the original arcade and Dreamcast versions. Now the CPU actually parries, doesn't randomly use super arts for no reason and uses keep away tactics :O

Overall just like Hyper SF2 before it, this is the port to own. Good stuff.

Comment

I don't think anyone said you should parry as much as possible. It's just handy when you can use it and certainly not overused.

This version sounds great, I really like the arcade music. And it'll be nice to play with Yun and his proper genei-jin.

Comment

Got mine today with a Ken keyring

Still waiting on my bloody PS2 though

Comment

This is how you parry

Comment

Fancy. But that's not the hardest one to parry

Comment

Anyone see the 6min, best of 5, match between Hugo and Gouki? It's over at karathrow.com.

Comment

Yep, i've seen it (albeit very poor quality, but you get the jist of it)

For sure i thought the Gouki player had it in the bag in the final round...
                      There's another vid on karathrow.com in one of the casual Austin TX matches, where yet again Hugo looked like losing in the final round, until he pulls of his Gigas megatonz!!1 to save the day.

Comment

What cracked me up was the complete cheapness that was the gouki player, i'm glad he lost.

The gigaton press from a parry against ken was wrong, so wrong.

Comment

Wow I've never seen such cheapness. Great vids.

Comment

One good vid from Evo2K4

All bow to Daigo ;p

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
                              One good vid from Evo2K4

All bow to Daigo ;p
                              It brought tears to me eyes, amazing, it sent me, sent me.

Comment

Did you hear about how even Daigo's mum is absolutely f00kin SICK aswell?

Down that Absolution tournament she was taking names!

That vid was beautiful man! T_T
                                Last edited by Saurian; 05-08-2004, 09:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X