No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't get me wrong, I LOVE RE4, but on subsequent play throughs I saw a lot of other games in there. especially harking to the metal gear solid series.

Comment

the wii classic controller does not work on any GC games unfortunately

Comment

Originally posted by Alastair View Post
        Very timely bump considering the newly uploaded feature today
        I know!
        I just polished it off (yet again) last night and today I see it lauded as Game Of The Generation(tm)!
        I'm obviously On The Pulse. Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Destrukticor View Post
          the wii classic controller does not work on any GC games unfortunately
          Thanks for the heads up, real shame that!

Comment

Originally posted by Magnakai View Post
            Maybe not the Citizen Kane or Godfather of games, but maybe more like a Lord Of The Rings, or more accurately an epic Die Hard with zombies. Everything's so loved, polished and refined. It'll pump you full of every kind of adrenaline. Throw you into dread, then panic, then elation, then determination...
            Absolutely. For me RE4 is the videogaming Terminator 2 (the vibe around that movie of the time of its release and what it meant to the American/blockbuster part of the industry is comparable). Both made superb use of technology and both offered a greater sense of adventure and excitment compared to their predecessors.

RE4 is a genre changing/defining game and probably the best linear action game ever made.
            Last edited by Concept; 20-02-2007, 16:24.

Comment

I should really finish this. I got a little way into the second disc and then just stopped...

Comment

You were right near the end. The second disc is only about 4-5 hours long (in a similar way to MGS spilling over).

Comment

Just got hold of this for the Pc and im using a joypad with the same layout as a ps2 pad, but finding it rather hard to control!

Really need to read the manual again methinks.

Comment

If you're a PC gamer don't be expecting a strafe option sir.
                    The game doesn't have one, nor does it need it, as it'd be too easy.
                    And try to master the quick turn, once you've got that down you've cracked it.

Comment

Dying a lot, probably due to me being a spacker and not being used to playing games on the pc via a joypad, although a strafe option would be rather nice..............

Enjoying it so far, just finding it a little fiddly

Comment

It will click, and when it does you'll have an amazing time. If you struggle with the PC version, try to pick up a copy for the Gamecube or PS2, you may find it plays a little better on them.
                        I love this thread, listening to peoples first experience of the game is brilliant, that's why the first play forum is arguably the best part of the whole site.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmie2k View Post
                          It will click,
                          Not necessarily, I gave this game about 8 hours of waiting for it to click before giving up. I just couldn't get on with the controls.
                          Although I've never liked any RE game.

Comment

Resi controls are certainly marmite - I love 'em, and would go on a murderous rampage if they ever changed.

Comment

I finished this finally, last night. I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

It's definitely greater than the sum of its parts for me. I have all sorts of issues with the control scheme - it's functional, sure, but I get the distinct impression that it's the way it is to add a layer of difficulty to the game. If you were to play through this with a 'normal' control system - something along the lines of Gears - then it would be ridiculously easy. I just can't see a sane reason why you wouldn't be allowed to sidestep or why there's not the ability to shoot from the hip - other than to mask the difficulty of the game.

It's also almost completely devoid of anything remotely scary. I can count parts that made me tense/jump on the fingers of my victory salute (Both involved the dogs) and I assure you I am a total pussy with scary video games.

I also felt it was too long. Certain areas are stretched out far more than is necessary which, if it added to the atmosphere of the game, I'd accept but I just found myself wanting the next bit of action or, once I reached the end of the castle, the end of the game.

The switch to sci-fi (In terms of environment) towards the end of the game ruined the style for me - and the enemies in the sewers made no sense.

On the positive side, I really enjoyed the bosses (Though they were very easy) and set pieces (I'd say more than 90% of my deaths in the game came at the hands of the QTE sections).

I deliberately didn't post impressions last night after finishing it because I thought the very end was awesome and I didn't want it to cloud my impressions of the game.

Despite those many criticisms, as I said it's greater than the sum of its parts. It took me 20 hours to complete and I'm not a patient man so I wouldn't have done that if it hadn't compelled me to do so - I think some of the characters in the game willed me on (Ada and Luis particularly).

If I had an Edge scoring hat (In terms of how I rate the game) I'd be giving it a nine. If I had an analytical scoring hat on (Think Gamespot) then I'd say it deserves a seven.

But it is the only Resi game I've not utterly detested.

EDIT: And yes I realise the tone of these impressions are very mixed - they reflect my views on the game!

Comment

Originally posted by Big N Veiny View Post
                                Although I've never liked any RE game.
                                Lol, perhaps you should consider not buying them anymore. If you don't like them after 6 traditional adventures have been released, I don't think you ever will.

Comment

Working...
                                X