No announcement yet.

Castlevania DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to say that after all my pre-release fanboy excitement I've been disappointed with this. Although the graphics, atmos. and sound are fine, it seems to me that the gameplay is a bit thin. I know it's not the point, but fluke one good 'soul' (like Chimaera) and you can breeze through. Likewise, many of the most beautiful backdrops are flipped/duplicated endlessly and are practically empty of enemies - amazing in a game that has well over 100 different ones!

Comment

I'm really enjoying it myself. I don't play for long stretches at a time though. Half an hour here and there. This is my first Castlevania, so everything feels new to me. Really like the soul collecting aspect and most of all I enjoy exploring the castle. That's what I look forward to most, checking out new areas or going back to previous areas with new abilities. Some of the boss fights have been pretty enjoyable as well. I think I'll have to track down Symphony of the Night and maybe Aria of Sorrow as well.

Comment

Wow, a Castlevania virgin. In this day and age. Who'd a thunk it? Well you picked a great one to start with - the downside is that going back and picking up the others is likely to feel like a huge step backwards. Although, yeah, SotN and AoS should still have much to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
          Wow, a Castlevania virgin. In this day and age. Who'd a thunk it? Well you picked a great one to start with - the downside is that going back and picking up the others is likely to feel like a huge step backwards. Although, yeah, SotN and AoS should still have much to offer.
          I don't really want to sound too negative, but considering that Zapp$ter isn't familiar with the 2D SuperMetroid-esque Castlevanias I'd recommend he skip the lot and go for MetroidFusion on GBA. (Which would also save a lot of money).

IMHO it's the best 2D action-adventurer of recent years: tough, varied, superb bosses and an easy shoe-in against SOTN. It also has a real sense of horror and lurking dread (like 'Alien') rather than the camp 'Hammer House' atmos. of the Castlevanias - although admittedly this is a large part of their charm.
          Last edited by Golgo; 18-10-2005, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo
            I don't really want to sound too negative, but considering that Zapp$ter isn't familiar with the 2D SuperMetroid-esque Castlevanias I'd recommend he skip the lot and go for MetroidFusion on GBA. (Which would also save a lot of money).

IMHO it's the best 2D action-adventurer of recent years: tough, varied, superb bosses and an easy shoe-in against SOTN. It also has a real sense of horror and lurking dread (like 'Alien') rather than the camp 'Hammer House' atmos. of the Castlevanias - although admittedly this is a large part of their charm.
            I've already got it . I don't know the genre that well but I have both Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, which is why I took a look at the DS version of castlevania as "metroidy" or "metroidesque" would be words I'd hear a lot when people talked about it. That's also why I'd possibly be looking at getting other castlevanias, such as SOTN. Couldn't hurt to try them, surely?

Comment

It will hurt your wallet mate. SotN PAL can fetch upwards of ?100 on fleabay sometimes, although the average price is about ?60. AoS on the GBA is now worth well over ?50, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                It will hurt your wallet mate. SotN PAL can fetch upwards of ?100 on fleabay sometimes, although the average price is about ?60. AoS on the GBA is now worth well over ?50, too.
                Ouch. Didn't realise they were going for that much, although for AoS I might pick up the JAP bargain version which is out soon I think.

Comment

You can get the US version of SOTN a fair bit cheaper, as it got a Greatest Hits rerelease over there. The PAL conversion is pretty ropey anyway, so you're probably better of with the US one (though it did come with a nice booklet and audio CD).

Comment

Originally posted by Duddyroar
                    And to think i traded this in at my local Game (or EB as it was then) for ?10.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS
                      You can get the US version of SOTN a fair bit cheaper, as it got a Greatest Hits rerelease over there. The PAL conversion is pretty ropey anyway, so you're probably better of with the US one (though it did come with a nice booklet and audio CD).
                      Even the US greatest hits release is hitting the $50 mark on the 'bay at the moment.

Comment

i'm stuck

i'm about 51% in and every way that i can go its blocked by some sort of door and the latch is on the other side

how do i open them

Comment

You'll open them by jumping on the switch on the other side later. What was the last boss you did?

Comment

Originally posted by Paleface
                            You'll open them by jumping on the switch on the other side later. What was the last boss you did?
                            managed to find a door i missed - now completed the game with 81%

but there are still areas i havent been too

just defeated the mirror boss and now i can go in and out of mirrors - found 2 so far, is there anything else i can do

still got 3 abilities i need to find and after looking at the monsters i've defeated so far i've still got about 4 bosses

going into rooms with iron golems and huge knights and i seem to only knock about 5 with each hit

i do remember playing aria of sorrow and the iron golem would be defeated with 1 hit but i cant remember how to do it
                            Last edited by buster_broon; 26-11-2005, 18:10.

Comment

I am (finally) going to buy this tomorrow.

I knew this already and I doubt any of you fine people care(d), so do I win the hotly-contested "worst ntsc-uk post of 2005 award"?

Well do I?
                              Last edited by Il Postino; 26-11-2005, 19:58.

Comment

Working...
                              X