Neo geo battle coliseum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neo geo battle coliseum

Got this yesterday played for a few hours last night.

Not really sure what to make of it yet.Plays well but the feeling of familiarity is nagging me with many kof characters (apart from robert) pretty much looking and playing as they always have though there are a few moves added.

Of course i got stuck into the newer characters additions including marco from metal slug who is quite a good character.Cyber woo (from king of monsters) who looks like to be 3d rendered and seems out of place

Here is the list of characters that i have so far
    Athena (snk vs capcom)
    Yuki (new character?)
    Ai (new character)
    kyo (KOF)
    Iori (kof)
    k' (kof)
    shermie (kof)
    Terry (garou mark of the wolves)
    Mai (kof)
    Kim (kof)
    geese (snk vs capcom)
    tung fu rue (fatal fury)
    Chon rei (fatal fury rebout)
    chonshu (fatal fury rebout)
    Rock (mark of the wolves)
    hotaru (mark of the wolves)
    Mr karate (actually ryo from kof /art of fighting)
    Robert garcia (kof though he has been redrawn and reanimated now looks very different)
    Mr big (art of fighting)
    lee (art of figting)
    haohmaru (samurai shodown)
    nakoruru (samurai shodown)
    genjyuro (samurai shodown)
    shiki (snk vs capcom)
    Asura (samurai shodown)
    kaede (last blade)
    moriya (last blade)
    akari (last blade)
    washizuka (last blade)
    hanzo ( i think world heroes)
    fuma(also i think world heroes)
    mudman (world heroes)
    kisarah (aggressors of dark kombat)
    cyber woo (from the king of monsters game)
    marco (metal slug...yes he is drawn to fit in with the kof characters)
    mars people (snk vs capcom)

Yuki/ai/lee after quick play they seem to stand out as being very good.

Anyway to the basics of the game its a 2 on 2 tag based game.The tagging system i thought was a bit underused there is the basic tag the double assault and a tag counter.The double assault is the same for all the characters.The main character will do a quick combo launch them into the air the partner will come in do a quick combo and send them back and quickly leap out again.It does very little damage its real use it decreases the enemys health that it can regain if they tag out.

There are a few character specific tag moves they usually involve doing a certain move then doing a motion afterwards (like with kyo and iori for example).

There also seems to be a cancel button (R2) bit like in the game rumble fish you do a normal move press it and it removes the delay unlike rumble fish it does not send you forward.

Graphics wise there not to bad the characters are a bit pixelally which are highlighted more by the hires backgrounds.Animation is not to bad terry who is in his mark of the wolves guise is far better animated then he was in kof 2003.And some of the new characters are pretty good.

Backgrounds i like while i think there is only a few 3d ones (one of the boss stages being one) the rest are 2d.There is not much moving in the backgrounds but some are very well done.The one with a full sized rusted cyber woo and the skeleton of that dragon like creature from king of monsters being a fav.

Arcade mode is done differently you have a set time limit and the health you start with is all you get and after every battle you have a choice of giving some health back increasing the time add to the power gauge or nothing.I assume depending how you do you fight different bosses.

Boss i fought i think is the orochi from kof 97 (the one that chris turns into)

As usual he is cheesy beyond belief takes very little damage but can dish it out.Dont know how snk does it but every boss they make seems to have moves designed to frustrate.He has a giant multi hit fire ball move that he can launch one after the other with almost no delay.I have jumped and he fired them one after the other and killed me before i touched the ground.

Anyway so far i have enjoyed it but i really wish snk-playmore had done more with the two character teams a striker system i would have liked

Originally posted by eastyy
    Here is the list of characters that i have so far
    Athena - is a legend amongst SNK games, even had her own game and was in kof 94 onwards
    Terry (fatal fury series)
    Mai (fatal fury series)
    Kim (fatal fury series)
    geese (fatal fury series)
    Chon rei (fatal fury 3)
    chonshu (fatal fury 3)
    Mr karate (actually ryo's dad takuma from kof /art of fighting)
    Robert garcia (art of fighting)
    hanzo (world heroes series)
    fuuma(world heroes series)
    mudman (world heroes 2)
    mars people (metal slug 2)
    have corrected the list of characters from their original source

lovely game - great when Marco calls on the metal slug to ram another character - specials are lovely

Graphics are on a par with sam spirits 4 - kinda drawn that way but they loook a wee bit better

the final boss is the cheapest mother****er i've even came across, he constantly hits you with specials and crappy lightning bolts that come up from the ground - which also turns into a guard breaker, because your guard meter slowly disappears

played his twice (got athena the first time) - 1st time i beat him only because the clock ran out with haohmaru

2nd time i lost my temper and threw my controller out of my bedroom window and it smashed in my back garden

if you want photos please ask

so i'm selling it as i dont have the right temprement for it and i'm a silver dual shock 2 down

fekkers

Comment

Thought mr karate looked like ryo to me (takuma i thought was much older and had dark hair) anyway

Have you got the arcade version buster? if so notice any differences

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
        Thought mr karate looked like ryo to me (takuma i thought was much older and had dark hair) anyway

Have you got the arcade version buster? if so notice any differences
        get the rom of Art of fighting and he gets unmasked at the end and its also during the intro to art of fighting 2 - he was working for Mr Big

no got the PS2 Version which i have just sold to Seany1979

Comment

This was dying on it's arse in the arcades when I was in Japan in November. Looked terrible, but that's a nice character line-up.

Comment

Well to be honest its not a game thats got me excited.

Fist of the north star is the one thats got me excited....Wish they got arc systems to do a snk game

Comment

No need to correct him, it isn't Takuma wearing the Mr.Karate Mask, it is indeed Ryo for the 1st time(or so i believe from the Madcafe forums).

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal
                No need to correct him, it isn't Takuma wearing the Mr.Karate Mask, it is indeed Ryo for the 1st time(or so i believe from the Madcafe forums).
                oh well - there isnt a mask anymore btw - just the name

sorry to correct you and i agree it looks like ryo with messy hair - obviously not keeping up with the story

Weird thing is - in game he looks like Takuma - same white jump suit and black hair (ryo's is orange/red) and all the moves are Takuma's except teh 100 hand slap - Takuma had the knee in the face thingy

so ryo is now an evil guy in the story of things

or is he a new and improved Mr Karate
                Last edited by buster_broon; 06-01-2006, 14:49.

Comment

I played the PS2 version the other day and thought it was dreadful, The loading times are far too long and graphically the PS2 seems to have problems replicating the movement and their is a particularly evident tearing problem with the backgrounds when a player takes a fall.

Its certainly put me off any ideas of even remotely buying the PS2 version for myself, Looks like I'll wait for a cheaper Atomiswave cart.

Comment

Oh yeh the loading times did seem quite long.Did not notice the tearing thing though

Comment

had another wee go before i sent it and the 2 redeeming features are:

1/Kim - fantastic character, great combo's and easy to use

2/ the backgrounds are outstanding, 2 that spring to mind are:
                      i. cool cool toon - smashing
                      ii. last resort museam - glorious

but i fought another boss who isnt so cheap his name was shishioh or something similar - but he looks like king lion/king leo from the savage reign/kizuna encounter games

also AI is a new character but she has heritage from an old game - the way she enters the area is something from ROBO ARMY

misuguchi is the cheap ass fecker but he doesnt like mr karate's super fireball

also:
                      neo-dio from world heroes is a boss
                      mars people is a boss
                      goodman from Garou is a boss
                      Last edited by buster_broon; 06-01-2006, 15:43.

Comment

I really hope kof 2004 is a step up from this game

Comment

I can't remember Goodman from Garou MOTW. Do you mean Freeman!!

Also are loading times more longer than Samurai Shodown Zero for ps2!

Thanks for the info about it.
                          Last edited by Billyx7; 06-01-2006, 16:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyx7
                            I can't remember Goodman from Garou MOTW. Do you mean Freeman!!

Also are loading times more longer than Samurai Shodown Zero for ps2!

Thanks for the info about it.
                            the boss - i think its him, they are very similiar in nature

played thru the survival mode and got 46

once it finished i got:
                            Neo-dio
                            shishioh
                            misuguchi

added to the selection screen - they are selectable just outside the screen (same as garou)

Misuguchi is from KOF as he has the orochi symbol on his chest (i think) and Shishioh is indeed from Savage reign/kizuna encounter

1 new level i managed to see was a stone statue of Hyper-woo in a grapple clinch with the godzilla type character

Comment

character roster

goodman is a new character - my apologies

Shin Shishioh is the same as Shishioh apart from having a shadow that follows him around - evil type thingy

Comment

Working...
                              X