Biohazard Deadly Silence - Nintendo DS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biohazard Deadly Silence - Nintendo DS

Title: Biohazard Deadly Silence (Japan) / Resident Evil Deadly Silence (North America and Europe)
    Format: Nintendo DS
    Release Date Japan: January 2006
    Release Date North America: Feb 2006

I just got this today, so I thought I should post some impressions from the game so far..

I am currently playing through in "Classic Mode" which is identical to the original PlayStation version that we saw in 1996. The game even has the original FMV intro sequence with Joesph being attacked by a dog (albeit the cut version) and the cast introduction.

In game voices are all there, including of course Barry's famous "You the master of unlocking" lines. Voice quality is good too, especially through a set of headphones.

The games controls are just like PlayStation and I fell into it instantly. 'B' is run, R is to aim, and L is to swipe your knife, like in Biohazard/RE 4. The quick turn mode has been put into the game too like in Biohazard Nemesis which is a nice touch.

The lower screen has all the action, with the top screen being used for the map. A nice touch shows you exactly where in the room/corridor you are via a yellow dot. The inventory uses the bottom screen, and you can manage it with the touch screen which is handy.

Basically if you love Biohazard/RE you'll love this. It's fantastic being back in the house again, even if I have done it a thousand times before. Enemies are in the same place, the dogs jump through the same windows and typewriters save your game. Its portable sweetness. I still think the controls are great, and they work well on the handheld. You can skip the door loading sequences if you want to, but they have been kept in for the effect But just press 'A' and they go away

The game looks good too, with the characters being well detailed for DS, and the backgrounds looking suitably high standard for the hardware. No complaints there.

On top of this is the wifi mode and Rebirth mode which uses the DS's hardware for puzzles such as blowing and touching, and there is the new attack system. I have yet to try that mode out.

So far I am loving this; its exactly what I expected it to be, and I am very pleased.

EDIT: As for importability, front end menu is in English, with the options being in Japanese. Voice acting is of course English, with Japanese subtitles and in-game text. But it's Biohazard, you know where you are, it ain't rocket science.

DC.
    Last edited by charlesr; 31-01-2006, 06:13.

Had to be posted!

Chris(NSFW) gets it too!
    Last edited by Akira; 24-01-2006, 11:01.

Comment

I have just reached the outhouse part with the big friendly spiders and Plant 42. I am so pleased with the port to Nintendo DS, Capcom have done a wonderful job. I have such fantastic memories of the original game, mainly because I was a poor student 10 years ago and could only afford one game every lightyear, so they had to last. This game lasted me for many, many playthroughs, and it's just as exciting now.

The snake boss is ace, and you can still evade him completley by running around behind him and grabbing the crest.

I'll give the Rebirth mode a go later, but I am totally hooked on this at the moment, its Biohazard bliss! I wonder if Capcom will do the honors and release Biohazard 2 like this too? That would be mint.

Comment

Thank **** someones posted a firstplay for this at last!

I'd had about as much as I could take reading all the bitching about this in the general forum!

Good to hear your impressions dc-arena. I knew it couldn't be as bad as some of the morons I've read have been saying.

What new sections have you come across so far?

Comment

Well I am just playing the Classic Mode at the moment, so its all identical to the PlayStation version. I am sure a couple of the music samples are slightly different from what I remember, but its been a while and the GCN remake might be shaking my brain a little.

I am firing up the new mode now so will report back shortly

Comment

Originally posted by gizmo1990
            I knew it couldn't be as bad as some of the morons I've read have been saying.
            'Morons' because they don't agree with how you desperately want it to be? Have they shattered your dreams?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
              'Morons' because they don't agree with how you desperately want it to be? Have they shattered your dreams?
              Yes, I'm crushed.

Comment

OK Rebirth Mode is basically identical to the Classic Mode in regards to the story (so far at least). However, there are many, many more zombies, dogs and crows to attack, and you kill them either by playing in the standard 3rd person fixed camera viewpoint, or - where the game controls it - in the new touchscreen controlled 1st person mode.

The game will switch to 1st person, and you swipe your finger or stylus across the screen to attack with your knife. It works really well too; much better than knife attacks from the original game. After enemies die they will drop an item, such as ammo or herbs. The game is much more geared towards combat in this mode, with Jill at least starting with more ammo, and more health etc. I have also been able to open doors which were previously locked requiring specific keys in the Classic Mode.

There are new puzzles to complete too, and so far they have consisted of using the touch screen to match up colours on a device which unlocks a chest which in turn gives you typically a red herb.

Enjoyable stuff so far for sure. If the game supports single cart play, I will try out wifi tomorrow at work and report back.

Comment

Gah, hurry up Play Asia, I need this now!!

Comment

Just be thankful you didn't pre-order it through yesasia. The release date came and went and my order is still in the dreaded "Searching from Suppliers" status.

Comment

Originally posted by dc-arena

The snake boss is ace, and you can still evade him completley by running around behind him and grabbing the crest.
                      In all the times I played Resident Evil, I don't think I ever once tried to kill the snake boss. Is he tough to kill? I always just run round him to grab the crest. Coward!
                      Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira
                        Had to be posted!

Chris gets it too!

FFS, that link is not exactly safe for work. Damn......... please be a bit more careful in future.

Comment

Originally posted by figflair
                          In all the times I played Resident Evil, I don't think I ever once tried to kill the snake boss. Is he tough to kill? I always just run round him to grab the crest. Coward!
                          Pretty straightforward with the shotgun although you don?t actually kill it. After a certain amount of damage it slithers back into its hole only to reappear later on as usual where you finish the job.

Comment

Into the

science labs now, and the memories continue to flood back. The passwords, the UV writing on the painting to unlock doors, and the messed up zombies are all present. What a fantastic game still

Comment

Originally posted by 112
                              FFS, that link is not exactly safe for work. Damn......... please be a bit more careful in future.

Lighten up! it's hardly as bad as the stuff in the off topic forum.

Does this game have any of the other enhancements present in REbirth,apart from the 180 turn?

Comment

Working...
                              X