No announcement yet.

Earth Defense Forces 3 - Chikyuu Boueigun 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the difficulty level between easy and normal is nothing like the difficulty between hardest and inferno. The other difficulties do have a more gentle progression between them if you do them in order, but inferno proper rags you compared to hardest.

Comment

Spiders are unquestionably the hardest enemy in the game as far as I'm concerned - get hit point blank by a group of them on Hardest or Inferno and without 5 or 6,000 health you're dead in a couple of seconds.

And yes, the increase in speed is a big part of the increase in difficulty. Inferno is absolutely nuts. Plus I have Juno Reactor's Labyrinth as my custom soundtrack - the music is one of the only utterly worthless parts of the game, IMO - and the pace of tracks like Giant or Mona Lisa Overdrive feels as if they were made for no other purpose than to score large numbers of poorly-rendered giant insects frantically scuttling everywhere.

Comment

I agree, the music in EDF barely registers. I nearly always connect my mp3 player...I occasionally choose an overly cheery/sunny track to contradict the intense action, playing 'Spanish Flea' over the top really made me chuckle!

Still really enjoying this game...one of my favourites on 360. Despite hitting a boring patch of levels where you have to descend the bugs underground nest, I really enjoy having a quick blast on it after a day of uni work.

There's a lot of fun in choosing weapons when you're selection's pretty limited. I chose a sniper rifle that only holds one shot but is massively powerful, and ended up creating this super tense situation against a horde of those giant robots where every shot really counted. Aces!

Comment

one thing that pisses me off about the 360 when outputting 5.1 and adding a custom soundtrack is the fact it can't pull the music through the sub leaving you with a really weak sound setup. thusly i have to play in stereo

Comment

Originally posted by crocky-chocky View Post
            Despite hitting a boring patch of levels where you have to descend the bugs underground nest,

There's a lot of fun in choosing weapons when you're selection's pretty limited. I chose a sniper rifle that only holds one shot but is massively powerful, and ended up creating this super tense situation against a horde of those giant robots where every shot really counted. Aces!
            Those levels are very boring at first, but there's one

when you're above a massive pit full of spiders, and you can just stand at the top and lob grenades and/or bombs down. If you leave 1 enemy alive you can get loads of pickups - this can be comfortably done on hardest if you're careful enough not to drop down, and the calibre of weapons they leave are more advanced.

Weapon balancing is a huge issue on later levels and difficulties.

Vanpeebles and I got stuck on one level - maybe 51? - on hardest, where theres about 6 ufos dropping stuff, a load of mini-ufos floating around, spiders and ants. And big ****off walkers. We've tried multiple weapon combos and tactics - lysander snipers to take down the ufos first, lysander snipers to take down the walkers, assualt rifles to battle the ants, shotguns to battle the little ufos, rockets and missiles to deal with anything that moves. We just can't do the level yet - we either get swarmed by constant enemies dropped from ufos that we can't down in time, or blasted by the walkers' purple jizz cannons of hell.

Comment

Oh I agree; the game is still dumb as a post, but it becomes surprisingly demanding in ways you maybe wouldn't expect on the higher difficulty levels. The balance may be way, way skewed in places, but it's still heavily dependent on more than just mindlessly rushing around with the right trigger held down.

Comment

Got this from play yesterday, very enjoyable game, not too taxing on the brain, point and shoot, so simple but keeps you coming back for more. Did a few levels on easy and normal and can get away with virtually using any weapons so far. Look forward to the latter levels and difficulties.

PS. So nice to see a game where you don't have to complete one difficulty to unlock the one above.

Oh and how cheap looking is the manual still, for ?18 who's complaining

Comment

I'd have paid ?18 for the final level alone to be honest, the other 52 are just nice bonuses

Last night i discovered the wonder of C24 bombs...

Megaton!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidHolliss View Post
                    PS. So nice to see a game where you don't have to complete one difficulty to unlock the one above.
                    This fact actually brings some tactical awareness and decision making to the party. After playing the first two games, I knew that if I could scrape through the first few levels on hard or hardest, then I'd pick up some beezer weapons very early on. The weapons dropped on normal are a bit skanky, but with the beefed up mega beasts I got from hardest, I could rattle through normal and easy at a fair old lick, building my armour stat in the process.

Of course, I might decide to challenge myself a bit more and go through the game on each diffilculty in order, making carefully considered weapon choices as I go.

Ah, decisions.

EDF EDF

Comment

Is your 360 all sorted then brother prinny?

Comment

Yeah check the 360 issues thread

EDF! EDF!

Comment

good stats
                          EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

Comment

Just finished this game on co-op normal! Most fun co-op game I've played in ages! Thought the last level was a bit of an anti climax though..

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatic1 View Post
                              Just finished this game on co-op normal! Most fun co-op game I've played in ages! Thought the last level was a bit of an anti climax though..
                              Yes I agree a tad disappointing - more like a mid-boss. I wanted a squad of godzillas trashing around underneath.

Comment

heh! ill call you mid-boss. im just doing a spot of item grabbing, upto nearly 5000 health in prepartion for inferno. 167 weapons found too.

Comment

Working...
                                X