Metal Slug Anthology (Wii)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metal Slug Anthology (Wii)

I'll post real impressions later after I've given the game a proper play.

Some key things though:
    • 408i 4:3 ONLY, no 480p
    • Appear to emulated, according to the credits in the manual. They are actually very good to my eyes, no complaints there. I've not played any of the other console ports, but everything is present down to the NeoGeo startup.
    • Digital control on the Wii Remote is broken, just doesn't change direction like it should, putting you in situations where you KNOW you turned around, shot up etc.
    • On the positive, the Analogue control using Wavebird works VERY well, much better than expected, similar to the digital stick on an NGPC.

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
    Appear to emulated, according to the credits in the manual. They are actually very good to my eyes, no complaints there. I've not played any of the other console ports, but everything is present down to the NeoGeo startup.
    Actually, some of the hitflashes are missing due epilepsy risk.
    Last edited by elkatas; 23-12-2006, 12:33.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. The games are all excellent (of course) but SNK has screwed the controls. There's not a signle option that I'm happy with.

Also: the mid-level loading times in Metal Slug 5 are really annoying. Anyone know if they crop up in the Xbox port?

Comment

Any chance this works with the Hori Digital controller?

Comment

I believe that this is finally out in PAL World this coming Friday.
          Can any early adopters let us know the skinny:

60Hz?

Classic Controller option added?

Any censorship (white blood etc)?

Cheers!

Edit: I've just seen this in the Chips branch down the road. It only seems to be me on here who cares, but anyway:

Similar packaging to the PSP version (i.e. awful, and doesn't stand out at all on the shelf). Edit: Actually I've had another look and it's not as bad as all that. It does have some actual art on it.

60Hz is in, but there's no mention on the packaging of any control method other than Remote/Nunchuk. I would guess that Cube stick is still in but Classic has not been added.

I forgot to check the age suggestions/rating so I'm not sure about censorship.

Chips tends to be a bit overpriced as a rule, but at £39.99 it's hard to imagine too many people picking this up, and certainly not non Slug fans.

That said, they had the PSP version for £30 and I saw it for £20 elsewhere.
          Last edited by Ratso; 30-03-2007, 16:17. Reason: New new info

Comment

I saw this today for ?30 but wasn't going to get it until I know a bit more about the control issues. Have they sorted them out? ie: no flicking the remote for grenades or any other such rubbish. Metal Slug only needs the buttons and should work with only the buttons. Hopefully some kind soul will let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyalpha View Post
              I saw this today for ?30 but wasn't going to get it until I know a bit more about the control issues. Have they sorted them out? ie: no flicking the remote for grenades or any other such rubbish. Metal Slug only needs the buttons and should work with only the buttons. Hopefully some kind soul will let us know.
              tbh I just use a GC pad, the analogue stick isn't as bad for it as people think.

Comment

I personally use the Nunchuk Control Stick control method.

Nunchuck analog stick for movement, A for jump, B for fire, Wiimote flick forward for grenade, C for alt. attack (Metal Slug 6) and Z for weapon change (Once again, metal slug 6.)

It works really, really well and i'm very happy with that control method.

Comment

I bought this baby today, and here are my impressions after an hour.

+ I haven't tried alternative control schemes, but controls Gamecube controls are really good. I got to third level boss in first Metal Slug without dying, so the controls aren't problem.
                  + Overall emulation is quite good, although hitflashes are missing due epilepsy risk.
                  + No censorship
                  + 60 hz mode
                  + You can save your game
                  + Metal Slug 6

- No progressive scan support.
                  - Interface is extremely clunky. For example, menus can be only navigated with Cube's d-pad, and to save your configuration, you must press + button from wiiremote.
                  - No option to choose how many credits you have. It is either free play or 20 credits.
                  Last edited by elkatas; 06-05-2007, 08:21.

Comment

+ I haven't tried alternative control schemes, but controls Gamecube controls are really good. I got to third level boss in first Metal Slug without dying, so the controls aren't problem.
                    Unfortunately it's the best method. Unfortunately because I don't really understand why Hori GC classical pad or the Wii own classical pad aren't supported. I really hate the "lag" the analog gives to quick turnarounds or mid-jump juggling, at first it's very irritating.

Comment

With this finally coming out in japan in a few days looks like i can finally get it & as a bonus for it taking so long they have added classic controller support (Yay)

Comment

Came out yesterday in Japan.

The back cover boasts 5 different control methods.
                        Last edited by kryss; 27-12-2007, 22:55. Reason: add info

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                          With this finally coming out in japan in a few days looks like i can finally get it & as a bonus for it taking so long they have added classic controller support (Yay)
                          Japan finally has to wait for a game and they get a very useful/good bonus. No fair

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                            they have added classic controller support (Yay)
                            Why they didn't include classic controller support for all the versions is still something that completely eludes me...they spent time creating some completely useless control schemes rather than coding in cc support.

Comment

I read an interview about this - apparently they were unaware that the classic controller could be used for anything other than Virtual Console games. Future SNK/Playmore games for the Wii such as the fighting game anthologies will all have classic controller support.

Comment

Working...
                              X