StarWars KOTOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Durham Red
    Right, as far as sabers go, do you know about Bandon's? The one he drops on Manaan will, when given a bondar crystal, gain a 100% stun chance (although I'm not sure how exactly it works as it definitely doesn't stun all the time).
    Well, nothing in the d20 system is ever "100%" so to speak. There is always the chance that an enemy will roll high enough on his Save -vs- Will (I believe it's Will...) to beat it, even a 100%.

Comment

I think i've got the crystal you mention and it gives: "On hit: Stun 25%, 6 seconds, DC10". Whatever the hell that means.

I just checked the sabers i'm left with for the Leviathan:

My main has:

Damage: Energy, 3-22
      Critical Threat, 19-20,x2
      On Hit: Stun 25%, 6 seconds, DC10
      Attack Modifier: +1

Saber 2:

Damage: Energy, 5-19
      Critical Threat, 19-20,x2 +2-12
      Damage bonus: +1-6 physical

The Equip screen says: 10-29, Damage to hit +16 (left hand 13-32+11)

He has no two weapon fighting skill, but has "Dueling level 1".

Bastilla has (double bladed):

Damage: Energy, 4-22
      Critical Threat, 20-20,x2
      Attack Modifier: +8

The Equip screen says: 5-23, Damage to hit +20 (Damage to hit +17 in Left Weapon hand)

Bastilla has Master Two Weapon Fighting.

Carth has one of these in each hand:

Damage: Energy, 4-11
      Critical Threat, 20-20,x2
      Damage Bonus: +3 Physical
      Attack Modifier: +3

The Equip screen says: 8-15, Damage to hit +22 (Damage to hit +20 in Left Weapon hand)

Are they any good for the level i'm at (the Sith Battleship)? I'll be brutally honest, i have no idea about the whole D&D ruleset at all, or what that critical threat stuff is about!

These are the best i could make the sabers i have with the crystals i've got. Juhni's got a saber too but i cant check it at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby
        I think i've got the crystal you mention and it gives: "On hit: Stun 25%, 6 seconds, DC10". Whatever the hell that means.
        Well, you've got two things there. One is, Stun 25%. That means, that upon a successful hit, the computer will "roll" percentile dice, and if the total is 01 - 25, then there is a chance they will be stunned. If The die roll is over 25, then there is no chance.

Second you have DC10. So, should the roll be within the 25%, then the person being hit will need to overcome a Difficulty Class of 10 to avoid it. Meaning, they will roll a 20-sided die, and they will need to roll a 10 or higher to avoid being stunned (adding, of course, whatever their Save -vs- Fortitude is).

In the end, it means that with every successful hit there is a 25% chance they could be stunned, and if they are unlucky enough to hit that percentage, they will need to roll over a 10 on a 20-sided die to avoid it.

I hope that makes sense.

Just for further information, there are three different "Save" types. There is Fortitude, Will, and Reflexes. Fortitude concerns such things as poison, stun, etc. I.e., an attack to the body. Will concerns attacks to your psychie. Here's we're talking about Persuasion, Charm, Dominate Mind, etc. Lastely, Reflexes centers on what they call "Area of attack" type stuff. For example, mines and grenades. Whem someone throws a grenade at you or you trip a mine, it is your reflexes that can save you from it.

Jeez, I hope I'm not confusing people more...

Comment

Cool, that makes sense, thanks!

What about the Critical Threats? Also do my weps look okish, and should i use a 2nd saber if my char has no Two Weapon Fighting skill, or will it somehow work against him?

Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby
            Cool, that makes sense, thanks!

What about the Critical Threats? Also do my weps look okish, and should i use a 2nd saber if my char has no Two Weapon Fighting skill, or will it somehow work against him?

Many thanks!
            Well, I explained what Criticals are in on my last few posts, but what it boils down to is that every weapon has a chance to actually do double the damage it normal does. That is called a critical. For some, it's 20, for others it's 19-20, and for some it's 17-20. When you roll to hit someone, you (meaning the Xbox CPU in this case) roll a 20-sided dice. The higher the number that is rolled, the better. If by some stroke of you luck you roll a number that falls within the critical range listed for that weapon, then you possibly might double your damage.

Take that saber you mentioned that has a Critical THreat of 19-20. That means that if you roll a 19 or a 20 on that 20-sided die, then you might Critical them. In order to make the critical, you have to roll again. If the second roll scores a hit (it doesn't have to be in the critical range this time, just a regular hit), then you have Criticalled them, and you double your damage. If the second roll misses, then you just do normal damage. The x2 means double damage. Some might do x.5, and some might do x3, though I can't recall the last time I saw one of those. x2 is the standard critical damage.

As an added bit of info, the 20-sided die is the real workhorse of the ruleset. It isn't called the "d20 rules system" for nothing. 90% of the time, you will be rolling a 20-sider. It is the die around which all of the others revolve. There are also d4's (d = die), d6's, d8's, d10's, and d12's. d20 are used for hitting, for saving, for DC rolls, skill rolls, etc.

As for your weapons, those look good, but you have to compare those to all of the weapons you have in your inventory to see how they fare.

Comment

JR how long was it before you started 'clicking' with all this?

I've been playing 10 hours and am starting to 'get' some of it, but no where near as much as you. In time I shall exceed your skills, but for the moment I shall require this small amount of information.

And JR, you have some of the best come backs ever... "Young Padawaan" - Genius!!

Comment

Originally posted by nips
                JR how long was it before you started 'clicking' with all this?
                Well, I am at an advantage because the ruleset that KOTOR is based on is the same ruleset that the the 3rd Edition of Dungeons & Dragons is based on. You see, Wizards Of The Coast owns D&D as well as a slew of other franchises, and several years ago they wanted to create a rules system that could be universal amongst all their games, whether they were fantasy, science fiction, or what have you. And so they created the d20 system. Each game, of course, had it's own peculiarities, but the basic rules system between them all was the same, so you could pretty easily jump between them with minimum problems. I've played the 3rd Edition of D&D since it came out (though I had to stop because of my job a year ago), so I'm very familiar with d20 and how it all works. I haven't played the Star Wars pen-and-paper game, but it uses the same d20 as D&D, so I'm already pretty familiar with how the game works. That, in turn, gave me a leg-up on KOTOR.

Comment

MWAH HA HA HA HA. I found that stupid Crystal Cave, and I've got some map to the location of the Star Force which contains the ultimate power.

Soon this galaxy - and ALL YOUR ASSES - shall be mine!!!

Mwah ha ha ha ha! (Damn, I'm getting good at that laugh!)

---

On an unrelated note :

I'm relucant to use my crystals until I get some more information, and refuse to look back in this thread for fear of spoilers...

Can you just keep adding more and more crystals to your saber, and therefore keep adding to it's strength and abilities... or do you replace them each time?

Are they one use only, and would it be best to use a double-ended lightsaber, and focus all my crystal energy into that, or spread the wealth across two sabers which I would use on my main man, 'Mr Me'?

Comment

Can you just keep adding more and more crystals to your saber, and therefore keep adding to it's strength and abilities... or do you replace them each time?

Are they one use only, and would it be best to use a double-ended lightsaber, and focus all my crystal energy into that, or spread the wealth across two sabers which I would use on my main man, 'Mr Me'?
                    You can only add three cystals to a saber, and one of them is a color crystal. So, for the other two, you have to be choosy. Do you go for the higher To Hit bonus, or the Damage bonus? That's the real question. To you go for something good against droids, or something that will stun living creatures? You have to decide.

As for which is better between two sabers or one double-ended, that is really more a matter of preference. Some might say that two sabers is best because then you can utilize four power-up crystals, and that is true, but if you find a really really sweet crystal (you will eventually, if you're worth a crap, which I doubt Nips ), then it is actually better to use a double-ended saber because then you can enjoy that crystal's benefit twice over, and not just once. I would suggest using two for early on, but once you find some really powerful crystals, put two of your best in a double-ended saber for yourself and spread the rest around.

Comment

Crystals are forever (mmmm, Bond title) and can be swapped as you like.

You can only ever have two crystals in the sabre, the third being for the colour (and vital if you start with crappy yellow). As for double handed vs two sabres, personal preference. I went for two full lightsabres on my first go (my master two-handed weapons negating the penalty).

Comment

That's cool, so you can just take old crystals out when your done...

Oh, and is there anywhere that I can store items... I'm carrying around a lot, and I'm one of those people who doesn't want to sell it 'just incase I need it later'...

Comment

Oh, and is there anywhere that I can store items... I'm carrying around a lot, and I'm one of those people who doesn't want to sell it 'just incase I need it later'...
                          NO, not really, and that's one of the few things I wish they had added. In games such as Baldur's Gate and such you can always find somewhere to stash unused or unneeded items. KOTOR could definitely benefit from that, as you end up lugging around a huge amount of crap you don't need. Some you can sell, but you never know what you'll need later, so that isn't much of an option.

Comment

You should have seen my item list at the end of FFVI

No, but you should make use of the filters. Press the blue button (X I think) and you can get new items, equipable items, usable items etc.

Comment

The only minor gripe I had about the game was the amount of adrenal, strength stims etc that were in the game. Got tedious finding them in every box and 'shooting up' all the time.

Comment

Good stuff... Thanks a lot. Now it's time to fanny about and try to rescue some galaxy or summit from this guy, something about, 'Sith' or 'death'... I dunno...

...but it appears that I'm in the middle of this, and Jeremy must use his wisdom and power to separate the good from the bad.

See ya later - losers!

Comment

Working...
                                X