FlatOut : Ultimate Carnage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoshimax View Post
    That's the "couple of races on street class" I was referring to But he didn't clear them all - I took him out on one of them then he got poleaxed by 3rd place leaving him waaay down the pack with no points and me claiming 10 for 1st

T'is why I love it - I can imagine Burnout4 must feel like a sterile piece of **** after playing this.
    well done for beating the smug git, i will throw up my arms in joy when i finally nail the gold on this tournament.

agreed on Burnout though. what i do love about Flatout is how you really have to work for Nitro as where Burnout you practically hold A down the entire race, pinballing off corners with no speed loss!

Comment

But that's it for me - I haven't seen a game where the difficulty (for Flatout mode not Carnage) was so well pitched - I could cane a few derby races, get stuck and THEN go buy a new derby car and fully upgrade it, rattle the remainder (but not so easy at the end) then move up and repeat but maybe need to buy 2 cars in sport class and I possibly got through 3 on street.

I think this thread speaks volume for the game (pro FAR outweighs the neg) and I stick by my original assertion this'll end up a cult classic.

The mind boggles as to how good the next one could be !! fun console racers - Gotta love it

Comment

Yep agreed its definitely a cult classic for me. Doesnt really shake the tree in terms of graphical finess and re-writing the book but what it does in the genre is deliver pretty much everything you could want in a crash-racer.

Not perfect by any means but definitely a classic.

Im up to the last races in FlatOut mode now before I head onto Carnage mode for popcorn fun. I havent personally found the FlatOut mode to be that difficult overall, generally you need the right car for the job in order to be competitive and the rest is a tiny bit of luck in the first lap combined with some nitro conservation and good racing.

Online this is a gem as well. I havent had this much fun online in a racer since... well I dont actually remember. I am also surprised I can say that only weeks after Forza 2 came out.

Comment

i find the graphical finesse comment interesting, this really blows me away and has that 'next gen' sheen to it, only other thing that comes close are motorstorm and F1 on the PS3, graphically i find this far prettier to the other 2 big x360 racers at the moment, especially the shopping centre stages. i may be blinded though by my love for this game !

good to see its shifting a few more copies as well (by the looks of the number of players on the leaderboards anyway). not sure what would be considered good sales for a title like this, but it has a few months for word of mouth to spread before we get in into the xmas games crunch.

Comment

It's not out in the USA either I'd imagine they'll lap it up for the destruction derby stuff !!!

Graphically I think it's aces - not the shopping levels like merf but the airplane scrapyard in the desert is just stunning - the lighting, all that dust kicking up, thousands of objects flying everywhere and the "whoosh" as you nitro under the wings of the planes - fantastic. I know it's the xbox1 game glammed up hence I can't wait to see a complete ground up 360 version - should be incredible.

Comment

Its out here in Australia 1st August.

I find the graphical quality a mixed bag to be honest but its more the whole package thats impressive. Like when you lose your bonnet in a race the textures on the engine bay are pretty basic which is a shame given how good the cars look on the whole.

Also some stages look much better than others. Yoshi, yeh I also love that desert aeroplane scrapyard. Its such a simple track with flowing turns but the straights are just superb at high speed with the misc. plane wrecks. I really loev the bonus tracks and the race tracks the most though. Some of the course designs are that different to anything I've played in similar races and there is a great variance from locale to locale.

As I said though, graphically I think its very good looking but could of been a bit better... but you instantly forgive it when stuff starts flying all over the place without any slowdown whatsoever.

I really think its one of those games that is assured of cult status. Its pretty much slipped under most peoples radar at the moment and because of the delayed launches in most territories the media has been at a trickle, even after E3.

IGN have had quite a bit of news about it and some positive reviews but the US is yet to really notice it until its finally on release. At least Bugbear got the timing right in terms of getting the demo out on the marketplace amongst the post E3 hype.

It may shift enough copies in the next few months to make is one of the more popular titles online, especially as people are finally getting over their Forza addictions.
              Last edited by Spatial; 26-07-2007, 06:36.

Comment

EVERYTHING is done at gold on the flatout mode - everything except the very last time trial (think it's city central 2) the time is about 45:50 I've bought the fastest car I can and maxed it out - no joy.

I must do it - I've nearly put pad to window a few times now though.

Comment

I swear that some people in here must have kids versions of this game while others have the full on he-man version. Pretty sure I have the latter.

Comment

PLAY MORE

Just tried again - it's driving me mental primarily because if I don't bother taking a run-up to the start line I'm still only about a second slower - I'm starting to think less speed/more haste - The jump over the car park ramp seems to be key.

Comment

I've been playing the Flatout mode since I've finished the Carnage mode, it is so much better.

Comment

I really need to go back to this, got distracted for a bit >_< silly me...

Don't get the comments on graphics being poor really... Especially the sunset desert stages are just amazing imo. Lighting is spot on, and it all just looks rediculously good.

Comment

Played some more last night. Finally (!) onto Level 3 of the Derby Class. i.e. not too far into the game at all. Seems that if you get a good start, then you should be set for the race, but if you get bogged down then you're going to have a hard time of it.
                          I don't think its helped that I've been drifting between this and Forza, and as they're both drastically differently handling games, it's not helped me play either of them! Going to stick to one or the other for a while now

Comment

I tried this for first time in ages last night, has anyone got the "Win Derby class with all golds in an unupgraded Chilli" ? tried again last night and very tough, won five cups but still have three to do.

Rock solid fun gaming though, even though I now really dislike Carnage Mode, got about a dozen golds and really struggling on the remaining twenty odd, won't be going back there, that's for sure. Just need to crack-on and complete Flat-Out mode.

Comment

Once I finish that infernal TT I'm done with single player but we've been having absolutely amazing fun online with it.

Head on races (whereby you complete a lap then turn round and go the other way and so on), host locks vehicle selection and everybody gets the school bus.

Absolute gaming hilarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshimax View Post
                                Once I finish that infernal TT I'm done with single player but we've been having absolutely amazing fun online with it.

Head on races (whereby you complete a lap then turn round and go the other way and so on), host locks vehicle selection and everybody gets the school bus.

Absolute gaming hilarity.
                                Class... yeh we've been playing that as well. The head-on mode is excellent.

Comment

Working...
                                X