Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monster Hunter Freedom 2

I know this game isn't as popular in the West as it is in Japan. But for those that like to make stupidly big weapons and hit equally as stupifyingly large monsters I thought I'd give my two cents.

For those who haven't played it Monster Hunter is a game about monster hunting!!!! natch. That's it really, that's all there is to it.... ok, ok, I'll tell you some more.

The game starts with your created character working their way through some mountains before chancing upon the remains of some dead creatures. Stopping briefly to investigate, you're interrupted by a large monster who takes an instant disliking to you and promptly knocks you off the side of a cliff. Ouch. Cue much back ache the next morning as you wake warm and cosy, albeit quite painfully, in Pokke village. Investigation of said village reveals that this was in fact your original destination, you're a Hunter and the Hunter's guild has sent you to replace the village's retired guardian.

And that's as much story as there is. Sure there's a few tidbits of info and background here and then, but don't expect any typical JRPG love triangles or world crisis'. This game is about finding a monster, killing it, then using it's parts (hides, bones etc.) along with local resources (bugs collected, ore mined etc.) to build new weapons and armor. You then take these, find more/bigger monsters ...... and kill them. Pokke town will provide you with everything you need to do this, from a farm where you can mine small amounts of ore and fish, to a kitchen that cooks meals which may reap immediate benefits for your quest.

Monster Hunter is all about two things; your preparation for the task ahead and your ability to handle the weapon you've chosen. Stripped down, every character is the same, there aren't any permanent stat changes or levelling up, you are your equipment. Once you go out in the field there are no save points, there are the limited resources made available to you, those you have brought with you and the limited random items you can collect. If you have prepared well, you'll know the map, know what to bring and what gather and most importantly you'll know when to attack, when to run and when to guard. The only way to leave an area is to succeed or fail. Whether or not a failure means giving up, or going out and making yourself stronger so you can try again pretty much determines what you'll get out of the game.

Phew. If that hasn't scared you off MHF2 is pretty much an upgrade on it's predecessor which manages to address some of the niggles and irritations from the first game whilst adding many more monsters, weapons, armor and items.

Essentially the combat is exactly the same as the first game, being largely driven by the type of weapon you're carrying. The camera is exactly the same as before, viewed from a third person perspective, the nub controls movement whilst the face buttons govern attack and utility functions. Even though the camera can be moved using the pad, it's more likely liberal use of the left shoulder button will be necessary to line up your view every now and then. So anyone who couldn't get on with or had an extreme hate of the first games combat and exploration won't find anything new here.

For everyone else, the new weapons are excellent. Each making up for the inadequacies of one of the old weapons. With a couple of the old weapons receiving suitable tweaks as well. The new weapons are easily interesting enough to draw you away from your old favourites.

Armor can now be upgraded several times using using Armor Spheres. These items increase the defense attribute of a particular part, making it useful for a longer period of time. In addition to this, players can create decorations for both Weapons and Armor, which can be fitted or removed from up to three empty slots to adjust their characters attributes.

The areas available for exploration have been overhauled and feel more "3D" than their previous incarnations which sometimes felt a little flat. You won't be able to head straight to your previous resources or prey, each map will need to be relearnt for success. As expected, new monsters both small and of the boss variety have been added to inhabit the world surrounding your little village.

Graphically, MHF was a pretty good looking game for the PSP. The sequel doesn't improve improve upon this massively, but there are some nice touches here and there. The second area of the Mountains map has a fantastic view across a mirrored lake which looks pretty damn good even for a PSP title. Climbing around the mountain you'll notice that weather effects have been added as you get caught in the occasional snow storm.

Playing through as a vet, the solo game mode does feel easier this time round and the learning curve seems to be a little less steep, good news for newcomers. Those that have played the game before can jump right in at the deep end, starting with a selection of weapons and a set of armor to get them started. Even though the village quests won't pose too much of a challenge, those looking for a hard time can head straight to the guild hall and take up the contracts offered there.

It's worth adding that you can port across your old MHF character into MHF2. But, the games have to be from the same region, as I found out to my dismay, EU saves won't work with the US game. That said, you won't be missing an awful lot, the game won't transfer any items above RARE level 3, these are sold and you are given the cash. Any cash you had prior to this you will only receive 10% of.

The best way to enjoy this game is still with other players, a bit difficult seeing as Capcom still haven't seen fit to add some sort of infrastructure mode. There is downloadable content option for future events, but multiplay is still via. Adhoc. However, a solution to this problem exists in the form of the X-link Kai software and the Wifimax adapter.

Those that are willing would do best to check out the Capcom BBS for a comprehensive guide to taking the game online. There are screenshots for every important step and if followed to the word, you'll be up and running quite quickly with little trouble:

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=17883

The most important step in that guide is; take the adapter out of the box, and bin the driver CD, you won't be using it.

There is also a comprehensive guide to the series here:

Essentially the game is a bigger, better version of MHF. If the first game drew you in, then this is a definite purchase. And if you haven't considered trying the work around for online play, the start of a brand new game is the right time to do it.
    Last edited by Riskbreaker; 04-09-2007, 13:44.

Thanks for your impressions, I think I will pick this up tomorrow as ive always heard good things about the series.

Comment

Apparently they have added two new download quests along with five new items today. So you'll have some new downloadable content available on the first day of release

Comment

Just been playing this today while everyone else has been on Halo 3.

Absolutely superb stuff. I played a bit of the first one and got quite into that, and this seems to have improved quite a bit. I'm no longer as confused and feel as awkward as I did with the first one, difficulty wise.

And the gunlance is just...

Comment

I've recently gone on a PSP blitz - ending with FF tactics next week. I managed to clock a few hours on this game (got another 8 to play...) and I got to say, its actually quite good. I like the mission based structure, but I wish the map was a little bigger. Currently going though training, but I doubt ill play more of this untill xmas - too many good games and this one sadly sinks down to the bottom.

Comment

I've been sitting on a free copy of this for ages and just looked at it this weekend. Wow, what a great innovative game. Only completed the first quest so far, and getting your head around not levelling up takes a while to get used to but it's brilliant fun.

Definately getting the Wii one when it's released.

Comment

Will the Wii one be online ?

Comment

Let's bloody hope so, will be missing out big time if it isn't

Comment

Picked up Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G this week, never played any of the previous ones so didn't know quite what to expect, but after a few days with it, it's no wonder this games pretty much revived the PSP in Japan at least, loving it so far, it's reminds me of a cross between PSO, Pokemon, Zelda and Harvest Moon all rolled into one. I've only done the tutorials and the first 2 quests so far but looking forward to taking it online and downloading a couple of quests and bonus items.

BTW does anyone know whats been added to this version as so far it sounds exactly the same as Riskbreakers description of Monster Hunter Freedom 2, even the beginings the same.

Comment

I think it's just some extra missions and items.

Comment

It's a really fantastic series. I've put around 250 hours into MHF2, and have just unlocked the last monster. Still loads of stuff to do in the game, though.

I think 2nd G is pretty similar to the previous one. There are some additional areas (I think all recycled from older games), plus new monsters and equipment and a load of high level quests. Also the install option and the Felyne sidekicks are new. It's mostly stuff you wouldn't notice if you've not played Freedom 2 a fair bit, though.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me lads, was going to buy MHF2 but seeing as theres an english patch for MHP 2ndG went for that in the end. It does sound pretty much like your typical Capcom cash in though, add a few extras and release it again at full price, still it's quality game.

Originally posted by JamesS View Post
                        It's a really fantastic series. I've put around 250 hours into MHF2, and have just unlocked the last monster. Still loads of stuff to do in the game, though.
                        I've put about 10 hrs in so far, went to have a quick 30 mins on it last night and it ended up being 3 hrs. I'm only on the beginners missions at the minute upto about quest 6 I think, and got killed by this big T-Rex looking thing, killed me in 2 hits.

Comment

Has anyone had any luck transferring a UK or US character from Freedom 2 to 2nd G? I'd like to get it but I really can't be bothered starting over again.

Also how do you go about applying the English patch?

Comment

Don't think i'm allowed to link to the site but if you google "Team HGG" you'll find the english patch and if you scroll down a bit further theres a save conversion tool for MHF2, you need to have custom firmware installed and an iso of the game in the ISO folder on the root of the stick, the patcher program goes in the GAME folder then you just run it like any other homebrew to launch the patcher.

Comment

Are you guys playing this in single player? I played the original a while back but then I hit a wall of difficulty as it was meant to be played in co-op, was wondering whether this one is the same. Also how big is the game compared to the original?

Comment

Working...
                              X