No announcement yet.

Skate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked this up finally last week, its quality. Bit tricky tho. Anyone got any advice for doing a 6,000 point sponser video? Cheers. James

Comment

Find a long ledge like the one outside Reg's. Do loads of short grinds and link them together with flip tricks. You should get a 3x multiplyer easily enough.

Comment

Thanks mate, im a bit danny ****tu at multiple grinds today for some reason so i did in an old pool using vert tricks

Comment

A collaboration effort that encompasses multiple styles of play for EA's first SKATE title, this video ranges from the bizarre (passing through walls/buildin...

Comment

Very nice, loved the bit at the 1:00 minute mark.

Comment

Is this worth sticking with? Hating the control method at the moment

Just too use to Tony Hawks, and this is so unforgiving.

Comment

Very much so! I can't go back to the Tony Hawk games after playing Skate, they seem like a very odd representation of skating in comparison. Stick with it!

Comment

Agreed. Keep playing and the controls will click, if you read the early preview thead for this you'll see I HATED the demo with a passion. But i picked up the full game cheap and after a few hours I LOVED it, once you get the hang of the controls you'll find it gives you a sense of satisfaction that the TH games could only dream of.

Comment

As per usual I'm reviving an old thread, but that's how I roll!

I recently picked this up on the cheap. I didn't get on with any of the two demos, but thanks to everyone enthusing about this I decided to give it a chance when I saw it at a knock down price.

My main gripe with the demo was the controls, and a few hours in I'm still not convinced that they are the best thing since sliced bread, HOWEVER I am slowly finding my way with them, and I can see the advantages to having the second stick used.

After years of Tony Hawks I'm still reaching for face buttons to jump, but I guess that's natural, having played TH for as long as it's existed.

I do love the experimental nature of this game, the way that the world gives you the freedom to do almost anything you want. A giant playground to try out and along with the video and picture options I have been enjoying making some admittedly basic footage look a lot better!

I love the influence of San Francisco in the streets, with the massive steep hills and I also like the way the world seems to function with people going about their lives and traffic knocking you over if you don't know where your going.

The graphics and atmosphere that the game has are lovely and it seems to encourage you and nurtures your skills. Even with my cack handedness with the control method the game never feels threatning (yet!), and I'v done a few footage challenges and a couple of competitions.

I can see myself playing this a lot more, even if it's just to 'muck around'.

Comment

Stick with it! (see what I did there).

I played this too much. When skate2 arrived I didn't have the urge any more.

Comment

I got the impression from the Skate 2 demo that they had tried to put in a surpless to requirements story and there seemed to be a lot of faffing about with moving objects around. Is the first game the more pure experience?

Comment

Not necessarily, I would say. There is slightly more to the story in the second game but it's no more intrusive than in the first. If you just want to cruise and do your own thing, you still can. The objectives remain distinctly 'un-Tony Hawk' too and the focus remains on skateboarding first and foremost.

The same goes for moving stuff around. You can mess around with moving street furniture and creating little spots as much or as little as you like- it's not a core element of the gameplay. Like Charles, I played the first game to death but even so I'm still finding the second game just as engrossing.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                            I played this too much. When skate2 arrived I didn't have the urge any more.
                            This pretty much sums me up regarding skate 2
                            Absolutely adored the first one for what it did, and the actual skating ambience i got from it.

With skate 2, even with the getting off the board controls (no matter how tank like they are) and the added hand plants etc, i just couldn't stay the course with the sequel. Dunno, probably the air of familiarity of it all.
                            Oh, and mainly getting annoyed (or owned) by the first Danny Way challenge (ha)
                            It just drove home how frustratingly random it is.
                            You just gotta hope he has an abysmal run, otherwise you're shafted.

So i've just shelved until otherwise.

Comment

The cool thing about Skate is that I can spend half an hour trying to do a challenge and find the perfect line, but I don't mind. When I eventually do manage it, it looks fantastic and it gives me great satisfaction to watch my replay.

Comment

Just FYI - EA are closing the skate.reel upload servers soon, so if you need the achievement for rate my video, then have a look at the www.trueachievements.com thread for help.

Comment

Working...
                                X