Folklore - PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folklore - PS3

I think I am the only one who picked this up on the showing in the demo that was released on the PSN Anyhow I enjoyed the demo hence I purchased this yesterday, only played the prologue levels for each character but I like what I have played/seen so far.

You get to play as either Keats or Ellen, characters who are both drawn to the mysterious village of Doolin in Ireland for different reasons. The village hides a gateway to the Netherworld, a place where the dead/souls dwell. Won't reveal more of the story as I might spoil it, but from what I have seen so far the story is looking to be a good one. The story of Folklore is told in the three different ways, all do a good job at it too. The first way is through lovely cutscenes, the second through comic book like pages and lastly through in game conversations. If you do get to play Folklore, I recommend playing it like I have so far, play Keats level then play Ellens (or the other way round) it moves the story on really well and you get to see it from each characters point of view. Content from each characters levels are usually the same besides from one or two details (both have different Netherworld guides, Ellens guide is hilarious!) but these details are different enough that repetitiveness doesn't come into play.

The prologues I played so far didn't have much actual gameplay, it was more dialogue through the various styles I mentioned before. What gameplay I did come across was very enjoyable, thanks to the superb sixaxis motion use. Combat consist of you getting the ids out of the Folk (aggresive souls) that roam the Netherworld. You beat them down til there id glows red, at that point you hold R1 and pull back the controller to drag out their id. This motion feels natural and is the best use of the sixaxis motion control to date in my opinion. The ids basically give you the Folks power which you can assign to one on the face buttons and use in combat, it might sound complicated but it is really as simple as can be. So far I have got the ability to quick attack and shield myself but as you go along you get greater powers from the Folk, as was demonstrated in the recent PSN demo.

Graphically the game doesn't harness the full power of the PS3 but still manages to look lovely. The game has a certain artistic style and it works wonders for the game. The village of Doolin is rather dark, dreary and empty place, not showing of alot of detail but you go into the Netherworld and you see the beauty of Folklore. I have only entered one Realm so far but the place looked like something out of a Tim Burton movie, the word I would use is magical.

The only real gripe I have with the game so far would be the frequent loading times. Now these loading times aren't long, 5 seconds maybe, but they happened enough for me to notice them. Saying that though they didn't hamper my overall enjoyment so far, but the impatient gamer might find them slightly annoying.

As I said at the start, I am really enjoying this game and I can see myself enjoying it even more as the game progresses. From what I have read and heard though this is a bit of a "Marmite" game, either you like it or you don't. The Eurogamer review (5/10) and the IGN review (9/10) are prime examples of this divide, I agree with IGN though
    Last edited by ezee ryder; 12-10-2007, 01:06.

I've got this on the way from the US, you're not alone in liking it from the demo. I've seen it recommended to play each level as Ellen followed by Keats, apparently that provides the best flow to the story (And obviously makes sure you don't have to come back to an area you'd long forgotten), so that's what I'll be doing.

It'll probably be here next week, but I might let the missus hold it back for my birthday.

Comment

Cool, another Folklore buyer Look forward to reading your impressions soon.

Comment

I didn't know this was out today! Saw it in town and picked it up as I enjoyed both demos and the reviews have been positive too!

So this was what the PS3 version of Monster Hunter 3 turned into, how does it compare to those games? There were hints of Monster Hunter in the demos but I can understand why they thought it just moved too far away from the core gameplay to justify the original name.

Does it feel more like Monster Hunter as you get into it ezee?

Comment

You can see slight influences of Monster Hunter but this game forges an identity of its own. From an artistic point of view this game is beautiful, like I said before it feels like you're in a Tim Burton movie.

Comment

I do like the art style of it even though it's hardly pushing the PS3 from a technical standpoint.

I read somewhere that it was the best use of motion control in a game so far. It worked well in the demos but the comment seemed a little over the top to me.

How are you finding the motion control?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution-One View Post
              Bloody awful atm. Well at least my lad is. The tooltip indicates you flip your controller from horizontal to 90 degrees vertical (towards you) this does not work at all. Am I missing a system settings on the PS3 for calibrating the so-called motion sensor?
              Only way we could get the thing to work was by literally flipping the controller's left side upwards whilst gripping the right side. A wrist breaking action. Bah.
              Lad has spent 15 mins trying to capture the Id of a bloody great beastie which demends you grab the soul only when the Id flashes red...most of the time the flipping seems to be ignored.

Anyhoo. Not too bad a game so far, reminds me of Lost Kingdoms on GC a wee bit. Never played Monster Hunter btw.

Loading times are poor and the 'cut scenes' are archaic, but not game-breaking.

Comment

It's a shame about the controls but from what I read it'll just click after a while and fall into place...hopefully lol.
                Originally posted by Ian(not Ian) View Post
                Have you tried installing the game onto the hdd? That may help the loading times for you.

Comment

I do like the art style of it even though it's hardly pushing the PS3 from a technical standpoint.

I read somewhere that it was the best use of motion control in a game so far. It worked well in the demos but the comment seemed a little over the top to me.

Yeah it is not pushing the PS3 but the game still looks very nice, especially in the Netherworld sections. This game is the best use of the motion controls on the PS3 so far, you don't feel like you are fighting with the controller like in some parts in Lair for instance...it just feels natural.

Originally posted by Ian(not Ian) View Post
                  Bloody awful atm. Well at least my lad is. The tooltip indicates you flip your controller from horizontal to 90 degrees vertical (towards you) this does not work at all. Am I missing a system settings on the PS3 for calibrating the so-called motion sensor?
                  Only way we could get the thing to work was by literally flipping the controller's left side upwards whilst gripping the right side. A wrist breaking action. Bah.
                  Lad has spent 15 mins trying to capture the Id of a bloody great beastie which demends you grab the soul only when the Id flashes red...most of the time the flipping seems to be ignored.

Anyhoo. Not too bad a game so far, reminds me of Lost Kingdoms on GC a wee bit. Never played Monster Hunter btw.

Strange you are having trouble with the motion control stuff. Is it just when you are dragging out ids out of the Folk? I have just been pulling the controller back and haven't had an issue yet. Load times are niggly, I will agree with you on that but personally they have not hampered the game greatly for me so far.

Have you tried installing the game onto the hdd? That may help the loading times for you.
                  This doesn't really help, I installed the game onto the HDD and the load times are still frequent.

Comment

Just started this now...

When you get a choice of characters at the beginning do you play the whole game with the one that you choose or are you able to swap between them in game?

I there much difference between them when playing?

If I'm going to be stuck with one of them I want to make sure I get the right one for me.

Comment

Just started this now...

When you get a choice of characters at the beginning do you play the whole game with the one that you choose or are you able to swap between them in game?

I there much difference between them when playing?

If I'm going to be stuck with one of them I want to make sure I get the right one for me.
                      You are able to swap after each chapter. Like I said in my impressions, I recommend playing one chapter with Ellen and then playing with Keats, it helps the story along pretty well.

Comment

Has anybody tried making their own dungeon in the Dungeon Trial yet?

Comment

Dungeon Trial?

Liked the demo. Mine arrived this morning from Shopto.net (ordered yesterday).

Part way through Chapter 1 for Ellen (completed the Prologue for the reporter).

That big bird was a pain admittedly. Especially on the second encounter. It does take a few flips of the controller before you capture the id though. There is a gauge that has to be filled (every time the id turns red) before you can get it.

The two long eared things over the hill from the big bird are more of a pain. You need to stick them up to get them, but after numerous attempts I have yet to succeed. They run a soon as you get near them (or send you to sleep temporarily).

So far I am just under two hours of play into the game.

Comment

Any of you guy's still hacking away at this????

Comment

Yup, I'm playing through it at the moment. I have both characters at chapter 4 (Started the prologue to the chapter with Ellen, but I'm just doing some quests at the moment so haven't started the chapter 'proper') and I'm really enjoying it, though I have to say it's far more challenging in parts than I was expecting. I love the Folks system - the fact that you can approach most battles in more than one way and still come out on top, and there are clear indicators/penalties for when you're not doing what you should be doing. I've also been impressed with the boss battles so far.

My only real complaint is that they shouldn't have provided the flexibility with the chapter progression. It shows in a few parts that they're not sure what you may have done so far, there's a little too much overlap and it can make it drag a little. If they'd have forced progression as an alternation of the chapters with Ellen and Keats then they could have really tightened the story and delivery up.

A minor complaint though. Presentation-wise this is absolutely stunning also.

Comment

Working...
                              X