No announcement yet.

Call of Duty 4 - Xbox 360/Playstation 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, at least we would all have NTSC before our names. And I think people in the past must have set up a club under the name of this site in Test Drive...?

Comment

I've not been on the forums long but I would definitely be up for joining a clan. Anyone here is more than welcome to add me as a friend: Ace Rimmer316.

I'll hopefully get this in the post tomorrow. Can't wait to get stuck in...

Comment

Its not a clan, just a 4 letter prefix to your name, I done it in the beta just for the hell of it too, so it just shows as

[NTSC] Rossco UK

Would be better wiith actual clan support and stat tracking etc though!

Comment

Level 4 unlocks create a class
          Level 12 unlocks clan tags

In one night I've levelled up to 8 though so its a quick progression. This game just oozes quality. I played in ranked matches all night and I would say out of the majority of games I played lag was non-existant. Like the beta you can of course quickly press the back button to see your latency in relation to everyone else and if its orange/red then the hit detection will be off... playing on green latency though and its everything you could of asked for.

Its also super smooth online, 60fps and by god it looks gorgeous.

I havent played private matches yet but I took at look at the options and they are plentiful. You can toggle on/off sprinting, headshots etc... tweak pretty much everything. I dont think anyone is going to be upset with how much flexibility you have as a host. You really can play it whatever way you feel.

As for the levels... out of the 8 or so I've checked out so far only one wasnt my cup of tea and that was Bloc. Its by no means bad but its basically a courtyard with direct opposing apartment blocks so its a case of sniping, flanking and creeping up on people unnoticed. Its a different strategy set to the others so its something you will need to cater for but all up the levels are every bit as good as the ones on show in the beta.

My personal favourites are District, Downpour and even Bog. I didnt like Bog before as its a wide open small level with cargo containers for cover but last night I had an absolutely stunning game on it 4 on 4 and the level just came alive. Its one of those levels though where if you are fortunate enough to gain an air-strike or heli support the opposition better run for cover quick because there are very few places to hide.

Im going to say it now: this is game of the year guys.

Bioshock has the SP story narrative title, Halo3 probably has the whole co-op and online mode feature set that is hard to beat but this game is an utter thing of beauty.

The campaign is short. Regular difficulty took be less than 6 hours, but I can see Veteran lasting double that and I will be finishing it on that level for sure, I simply must do that. Online is absolutely gorgeous in every sense, the lighting on some of the levels is just simply sublime and you will smile from ear to ear the first time you RPG a car to take out multiple opponents in the vicinity!

If the beta gave you little sex wee's then this is going to make you hit the ceiling...

Comment

just did the first two SAS missions (hard difficulty) and have to say it's pretty disappointing stuff so far. just following team mates from checkpoint to checkpoint, with not much to do or shoot.

technically it's a mixed bag. there's beauty all over the place but no dynamic lighting and shadowing. own character casts no shadows at all and has no visible legs. object interactivity is inconsistent and environmental destructibility is limited. i couldn't blow a truck while aiming straight for the gas tank or even using grenades. it seems to me the MP engine is more sophisticated than the SP one this time.

tactical options in the game are next to zero. i knew this wasn't going to be a tactical shooter but at least i would like to switch fire modes or attach/remove silencers from time to time.

Comment

The word "disappointing" associated with Call of Duty 4?! There is always one eh (and then a few others after).

Comment

just did the first two SAS missions (hard difficulty) and have to say it's pretty disappointing stuff so far. just following team mates from checkpoint to checkpoint, with not much to do or shoot.
                I think someone already commented about how the first mission was more about how much more experienced your team-mates are compared to your in-game persona (it is the very first mission your character has been on after all) ... for example,

in that first mission I decided to go my own way around something when the squad leader was telling me to keep close, and I walked past an open cargo container from which a bad guy popped out and shot me in the head (game over), next time around I stayed with the rest of my team mates and the bad guy never appeared (I even checked that container out thinking he would be hiding inside).

Second mission you are much more capable, you are given a role of providing sniper cover to an assault, you then lead the assault into a house with the power cut ... it feels as though your guy has gained some experience via the ending of the first mission, and even though he isn't the main man in the team he can still more than hold his own. You're not just following your team mates, what you are doing is working within a team to get the job at hand done.

Re: tactical options - you really think that tactics are whether or not you have your weapon silenced?

Comment

i've just finished mission 4 in service of the USMC and the action is getting much more intense now. excellent stuff. but i hope it keeps shaping up even more.

Originally posted by John Beaulieu View Post
                  Re: tactical options - you really think that tactics are whether or not you have your weapon silenced?
                  you put it out of context John. i didn't say tactical options are all about silencers or fire modes. but of course it may be a major tactical decision whether you go silenced or not, depending on situation and objective. and being able to fire single shots would help to shoot more precisely and save ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by P-Dogg View Post
                    A guy on eBay is selling this today so gonna pick it up on lunch, should be up for online tonight..

Anyone tell me if the online is already busy/populated?

Cheers.
                    It's packed cya in there CatchableCloud.

Comment

PES is going back and I'm getting this tomorrow. Strange, all the achievements seem to be single player only, is this accurate?

Comment

no reason for multiplayer achievement points when the game itself has an achievement system for gaining ranks, weapons etc

Comment

Spot on. At least people will be playing the online modes because they enjoy them, and not ruining other people's games with "Hey man, can I headshot you ten times for the achievement, you can do it to me after".

Bravo I say, keep achievements away from multiplayer, or if not, make them player matches only where people can whore with their mates and not bother us.

Comment

Yeh I think they've got the achievements spot on... all SP, which stops people whoring for achievements online but they still have the challenges and perks which people can unlock progressively as they play.

Its a nice setup.

Comment

Couldn't put this down yesterday it's everything I hoped it would be and more.

Game of the year.

Makes GRAW and R6 look like last-gen efforts and that's saying something !!

Comment

Originally posted by John Beaulieu View Post
                                only 4 letters could be used in the beta - so it would be NTSC if people want to use the site as a clan name
                                In Vegas we went for [NUK]. Can't we keep that... Please boss!

Comment

Working...
                                X