No announcement yet.

Geometry Wars Galaxies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been spending the past couple of days or so with the DS version fairly solidly. Haven't got through all the later levels but I like what I see. I appreciate the drop in visuals from X360 to Wii, let alone DS, but does that really matter in a game like this? Clearly not if the experience is as well put together as this on a smaller screen with unusual controls.

Controls work really well - much better than expected - left pad for movement, right face buttons for shooting, SNES Smash TV style. Alternatively using the right thumb on the lower screen works better than expected. Haven't tried the analog nub that comes with the Phat DS but that might do here. Forget about using a stylus - that's just insane! Lots of customisation for all aspects of control are offered here, sure to find a setup that fits.

Minus points :

- it is too easy to unlock levels; there's no sense of progression when you can open up a large proportion of the game after only playing a few worlds

- the geoms are a nice idea but the multipliers they give mean that the scores are all factored up. it feels silly getting a score of 20 million after a bit of a fiddle after spending months on the previous Geometry Wars game and getting nowhere near even one million. a picky thing, i admit

- the system for downloading high scores and comparing against the best is a little clunky. it means you have to connect online for each individual level, and none of the data for other peoples' scores is stored on the card so you need to connect each time you want to view what you're up against

However I'm very impressed. There's a little slowdown but nothing game-breaking, and nice to see an accomplished 2D shooter coming to the DS. Going to pick up the Wii version at the first opportunity just to see how it'll control, but the handheld version is worth a look.

Comment

No release dates for Japan still...

Comment

Picked this little gem up the other day for £8 from Game. What a great little game. If you are hooked on Geo Wars again after the recent sequel on XBLA then this will more than do for a fix on the move.
        Surprisingly close to the 360 version and the d-pad/stylus control method works really well.

Comment

I just got this for DS and I can't a find a control set up that works. I'm left handed and I've never played a ds game that actually needs the stylus as I hate using it. The d pad to move and buttons to shoot is comfortable but feels innacurate. Using the stylus to shoot feels awful, it means you're only holding it the DS with the hand that's also trying to use the d pad, sooo awkward! Compounding matters with the right hand on stylus the r button is out of play for bombs and I can't press the L button as my hands are too big. Pity this is rendered pretty much unplayable as it looks like my kind of game.
          Last edited by moonwhistle; 20-05-2009, 14:42.

Comment

Picked the DS version up for a tenner having never really played Geo Wars before. Remember a brief go of it in PGR3 but never went back to it. Am loving the DS version though! Totally addictive and strangely beautiful to behold when there are masses of things going on. Have just ordered the Wii version too and plan to try the originals on 360 again too.

Btw I started by using the stylus/d-pad combo and am having no probs with it

Comment

Wii version is quite good, but after showing it to my 19 year old nephew he said "wow! they really were the bad old days...".

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                Wii version is quite good, but after showing it to my 19 year old nephew he said "wow! they really were the bad old days...".
                Eh? Geometry Wars only came out a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bib View Post
                  Eh? Geometry Wars only came out a few years ago.
                  Yeah, but despite the pyrotechnics, it's old-school-ish (get hit by an enemy craft and you lose a life; no health bars/armour etc.). The kids these days can't get their head around it...

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                    Yeah, but despite the pyrotechnics, it's old-school-ish (get hit by an enemy craft and you lose a life; no health bars/armour etc.). The kids these days can't get their head around it...
                    Yeah I suppose so. They're spoiled

Comment

Working...
                    X