Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frontline: Fuel of War (demo and full game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frontline: Fuel of War (demo and full game)

If you tried the single player demo a few months back and though it wasn't so hot...give this one a go. It's exactly what the console version of Battlefield should have been.

A lot has been tightened up since the single player demo. The controls are more resonsive, and the framerate is solid. It feels a lot further on in development, though it is by no means flawless.

The multiplayer game plays almost exactly the same as Battlefield 2 on the PC (which is a very good thing!). You can spawn as several different classes, you get to drive several vehicles, and you have to capture control points. You also get the Squad mechanics from BF2, which is a real help for team work.

The differences to Battlefield are slim, but they do have some impact:
    Once you've selected a class you also get a select a loadout - for example I was playing as an Assault class (grenades, assault rifle, grenade launcher) with an Air Support loadout. Initially all I got was a precise airstrik - a single powerful hit at one location. Then, as I played on and racked up some points (from killing and completing objectives), I unlocked the Cluster Bomb, and later on full air support from a chopper (I think, never got to deploy it!).

There are also other loadouts, such as Group Support, where you can repair vehicles and build turrets. Or another one which I forget which lets you drive a little radio controlled buggy thing.

Also changed is the control points, which control the front line of the battle. Where as in Battlefield you could sneak in from the back and capture the point right at the other end of the map, in Frontline you have to tackle the points in stages. You can techically run right to the far end of the battlefield and capture a point, but until the points up until that one are captured, you won't be spawning there.

In order to move the 'line' forward, you often have to be in control of two parallel points, which means more team work.

The graphics are pretty murky (might be the map), the vehicle controls aren't that great, but once all hell breaks loose and half a squadren comes flying at your last remaining point, the little niggles can be forgiven.

Oh, and 32 players on dedicated servers. No lag
    Last edited by PeteJ; 01-03-2008, 10:55.

Sounds excellent! Thanks for the impressions, i'll have to give this a burn.

Comment

It's not half bad this, had a few games last-night and quite enjoyed it - in fact, spent most of the night playing it. I particularly like the vast array of options at your disposal, like using the remote-control helicopter to drop in on an assailant should you get pinned down, or want to scout a particular area before moving.

I didn't really play Battlefield 2, but I do like this. The Special Edition over at Shopto is about £33 as well, so worth a punt I reckons.

Comment

We played it last night in our clan and are all off to buy it. Its by the guys what made BF Desert Combat and then got bought to help make BF2 (called Trauma Studios) then got shut down think demo/pre beta level. Then THQ hired the team to create Kaos studios and here you have their first game. These are the real people behind BF2 and it shows as they seem to have nailed it for console; cant wait

Comment

I tried playing this at the weekend and every time I tried to get into a game it said the session is no longer available. Anyone else had this problem?

Comment

Are you picking the dedicated servers? Kaos Europe etc...

They have been working fine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by chopemon View Post
              I tried playing this at the weekend and every time I tried to get into a game it said the session is no longer available. Anyone else had this problem?
              Just keep trying to find a game and you will get one, took me about 2/3 times to get into a game.
              Played this for about an hour today and found it good.

I did not like the desert level,streets is good but the drones give you an unfair advantage I think.

Can you invite people into your party and then party up like COD4

Comment

I played this last night with Blazing-Star I really enjoyed it, I'm very tempted to get it next week even though I shouldn't with me having army of two & Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on preorder.

Comment

I'm in two minds with this now tbh, at £28 it's worth a punt I suppose, but is it going to be dead online within a week or so owing to AOT and/or R6?

Comment

Hmm tried this out yesterday and wasn't the hugest fan, couldn't figure out some stuff though, like how to use the special class features. Found the control to be a little shaky. Had some bad lag on the oil field level. Graphics are pretty poor, although that could be from coming off of CoD4. Personally I'm just not the biggest fan of territory style games, which seems to be the only option here.
                    Streets level played a little bit better, main problem here was no auto balancing of team sizes, one had 7 and the other about 16 so it was completely unfair and know one but me seemed to switch to the smaller team. Also no voice chat that I could find??

Comment

I have been enjoying this so far, you can chat but only if you join a squad or make your own squad.

Once you work out how to use the classes it becomes much better, I might buy it but I hear the single player isn't up to much.

Comment

I played 360 MP demo, but later I pre-orderd PC version.

Comment

Well I just gave MP a bash & tbh its as bad as the 1st demo as theres not really much going on

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Verceti View Post
                            Well I just gave MP a bash & tbh its as bad as the 1st demo as theres not really much going on
                            Did you play on an empty server? I can't believe you don't think much is going on!

In other news, KAOS have announced that some servers in the US (and later potentially elsewhere) have had the player limit increased to 50 on Xbox Live.

Comment

Has anybody bought this today? I know the online is awesome, but hows the single player?

Comment

Working...
                              X