Clear All

If anyones got it on PS3 can they confirm if its got 7.1 pls

Comment

Originally posted by Dazzyman View Post
      If anyones got it on PS3 can they confirm if its got 7.1 pls
      I just sourced it mate on PS3 let you know soon

Comment

Originally posted by dvdmike View Post
        now the important question is there an 80's radio station ? This is the one thing i want most
        There is as radio station called classics, some old stuff is played on there.

Originally posted by Flinty View Post
        Is there an active weather system? does it rain?

Btw has ANYONE tried to play online yet?
        The dynamic weather system is superb! Especially when it is chucking down or foggy. Seeing the rain pour down on the ground in a thing of beauty.

Haven't tried to play online yet, dunno if the servers are running for the public.

Comment

Custom soundtrack work well?

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
            what i've seen so far of the game didn't impress me, but maybe this was due to the los-res footage i've mostly seen...

so how is the game technically? like draw distance, loading times, framerate, polycount, animation, textures and sound design for instance?

and does the 360 version support the HDD like the PS3 does?
            quick cancel gta IV, uli isn't impressed by what he's seen on you tube.....

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
              what i've seen so far of the game didn't impress me, but maybe this was due to the los-res footage i've mostly seen...

so how is the game technically? like draw distance, loading times, framerate, polycount, animation, textures and sound design for instance?

and does the 360 version support the HDD like the PS3 does?

Comment

I posted this in the GTAIV thread in headlines for those who were wanting non-spoiler impressions of the PS3 version.

Positives

Euphoria - It's extremely impressive. For once characters that actually walk up steps properly. Running out in front of a speeding car and seeing your body properly take in the impact. One amazing moment was when I was running and a car swerved on to the pavement and sent me spinning all over the place thanks to the momentum.

Liveliness of the city - After taking a sneak at a youtube video (the one where Nico sprawls out of the car next to the airport) I had concerns about persistence. There didn't seem to be any cars or pedestrians out on the streets until the end. Well, my worries were more or less answered in the first fifteen minutes of the game. As soon as you set out of

Roman's apartment

there are people and cars everywhere. The whole place just seems to feel that much more alive than San Andreas, and in particular the animations are stunning. People feel much more natural and realistic with regards to their mannerisms. They feel far more independently minded than in previous GTAs. Think Shenmue but without the iron-fist path finding schedule. I'm sure there's still lots of swapping in and out of memory, but if you were worried that Rockstar had sacrificed a next-gen coat of paint for a dead city, don't. You have nothing to worry about.

Control - There's a real sense of weight to Niko. It feels quite different walking about compared to previous GTAs, and in my view, it's a huge change for the better. You get a real sense of presence walking around the environment. Which is another thing, as you'd expect, it's far more entertaining people watching and walking about on-foot than it has been in any other openworld games (at least for me). I can see myself using cars far less.

Presentation - The menu system has all the things you'd expect out of a typical GTA and is presented in a minimal fashion. The overall art design though is extremely diverse. The game might not have the highest resolution textures in the world, but they're put to extremely good use. In particular, if you're used to previous GTAs, the intro comes as a breath of fresh air. It sets the beginning of the game up brilliantly.

Audio - I'm using stereo headphones (with the game's 'headphone' mode on) so I can't speak for 5.1. What I can speak of is the general ambience, and as with previous games in the series, a large part of the atmosphere is conveyed through the illusion that there's more happening than there is. The difference here is that it's less of one. People talk more; you can hear cars and general things going on about in the environment in real-time. As for the voice acting... well, I can only go back to the beginning of the game again since I've seen little past the first couple of cut-scenes. The acting and writing does seem a step on from both San Andreas and Vice City. Much more natural. More HBO than Comedy Central (though it's not deadly serious).

Lighting - Absolutely gorgeous. Together with the real-time shadows cast over everything, it gives the city a really vivid look. Similar to San Andreas at dawn or dusk, but more emphasised.

Better animation than expected so far - I've already gone over Euphoria, but incidental animations among the pedestrians seem to be endless from what I've seen. Also, after seeing a few of the trailers there didn't seem to be much advancement going on with regards to body animation in cut-scenes. I can only speak from the scenes I've seen up to now... but the way Niko and his cousin moved seems far more natural and realistic than the Renderware efforts.

AI - Too early to come to have a solid opinion, but what I've seen has been interesting. I saw someone run over a passerby and the passerby get up actually hurt (as in stumbling and hobbling away). I thought damage to AI (bar death) would be only contextual with regards to player/AI interaction so that was pretty cool. Another entertaining moment was when I knocked into a guy, spilt his drink, got in a fight and ran off before a policemen saw him throw a punch and arrested him in front of my face.

Negatives

The visual appearance of the game is (as others have reported) slightly muddy in that filterish way Vice City had (it's not as bad). There's also shimmering on certain textures and gates, and the overall image quality appears slightly soft. The good news is that I've not spotted any tearing so far.

This will be a killer for some. There appear to be frame rate drops walking about at around 20fps (or thereabouts) when the screen gets busy. It's far from locked - less so than in previous GTAs. I'm playing in 1080i and that could possibly be a reason given the PS3's general dislike of it.

No proper in-car view - all the previews seemed to indicate a PGR-style in-car view, but all I've seen so far pressing the select button to change cameras is an on-the-bonnet car view. ???

Hand-to-hand combat is still relatively clumsy. You'll have seen that in the videos perhaps but it really doesn't feel all that advanced from San Andreas. There's more physicality and weight to the action but it still feels clunky.
                Last edited by Concept; 25-04-2008, 19:03.

Comment

Was just playing before and i pranged into some guys moter and just as he got out to start on me he got hit by another car travelling in the opposite direction!! Lol!! The ragdolls are superb!

Comment

Really weird question (and one I don't recall seeing anything about), but can you shove people?

Comment

Originally posted by [nothing] View Post
                      Really weird question (and one I don't recall seeing anything about), but can you shove people?
                      You can push them with both hands.

Comment

Yup. It's entertaining when you have two AIs mouthing off at each other because one of them knocked some food or a drink out of the other's hand.

What really impresses is the attention to detail. It doesn't come as a surprise because you knew Rockstar would put a million little touches in, but being able to hear the muffled voice of the person on someone's cellphone that they're talking with is fantastic. Same with how the lens changes to fish-eye whenever you point the camera upwards to get a nice view of your surroundings. The smoke drifting up from the floors and the rubbish flying about. It all adds up.

Comment

I like how if you leave Niko alone for a while the camera will focus on what he is looking at. I left him alone whilst a fight between two AI was taking place because of a clash of cars. After a short while the camera focused on to the two fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by bignige View Post
                            feeling pissed because i still don't share the hype for this game? i'm sorry for you.

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
                              I like how if you leave Niko alone for a while the camera will focus on what he is looking at. I left him alone whilst a fight between two AI was taking place because of a clash of cars. After a short while the camera focused on to the two fighting.
                              I've not left him alone enough yet (been switching to DVI when I post here) to notice, but yeah, touches like that are great. Glad to see they've been carried over from San Andreas.

One thing I just noticed when I ran into someone was the dirty glance they gave me tilting their head as I went past and brushed their shoulder. Heh.

Comment

How is the combat (shooting) this time? Has always been one of the weakest parts in the series, for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X