Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boom Blox (Wii)

Welcome to the best use of the Wii yet

It's a difficult one to put into words, but basically think Jenga on acid, with one hell of a party mode and a fairly comprehensive single player puzzle mode too.

If you watch the above Youtube video above you should get an idea of how the basic mechanics work. Sometimes its Jenga, carefully pulling out blocks from a tower being careful not to make the thing tumble (in some levels the blocks are in different colours, and it makes you pick a certain colour). Sometimes you have to flick your wrist to throw baseballs at the tower (to get a powerful shot you really need to 'throw' quite hard, and sometimes its just one big puzzle (take out every block in one move, etc).

Although you could argue it is just one big physics tech demo, the whole thing hangs together thanks to the excellent controls. This is one of the few games on the Wii where the controls feel seemless, and also where it couldn't have been done on any other console. Picking out a block ala Jenga feels spot on, and the throwing mechanic is also very satisfying.

Multiplayer offers coop and competitive modes (for up to 4 players, either sharing one remote in some modes or with 4 separate).
    The score-based baseball game is an absolute winner. You get a huge stack of blocks in some bonkers design, and each block has a number on it. Knock that block off the stack and you get the points, as well as any other block that falls. There are however negative-score blocks in the stack too!

Due to the physics these giant towers can sway from side to side after a hit, and sometimes take a few seconds to fall. In this time the next player can have their go and steal all the points. Awesome!
    Some missions you have to defend a castle by throwing stuff, or make sure a character doesn't fall off their block, while destroying what is under them...

They've really taken one concept as far as it can go, but so long as you get to try it out in multiplay I'd recommend it. Single player seems fun so far with loads to unlock, but it may get tiring.

Oh, and it's by Steven Spielberg.

Thanks for the impressions. My copy is already on the way from UK.

Comment

Here is a better video from the latest 1up show. http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18757

1up reviewed it A+ (10/10).

Comment

been playing this with my wife all last night, and have to say its addictive as hell in multiplayer. controls are perfect and its highly competitive, and will probably lead to divorce in the future!

well worth buying!

Comment

Is this still fun when playing single player only? As i'm quite tempted to pick this up.

Comment

Originally posted by laruso View Post
            been playing this with my wife all last night, and have to say its addictive as hell in multiplayer. controls are perfect and its highly competitive, and will probably lead to divorce in the future!

well worth buying!
            How is the multiplayer?
            Is it simple enough, that is the thing I find with a lot of games, even though my friends are all proficient enough at playing games oftent he rules/techniques in various games are complex enough for me to of got a much better understanding of.

Comment

What was Spielberg's involvement with this?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                How is the multiplayer?
                Is it simple enough, that is the thing I find with a lot of games, even though my friends are all proficient enough at playing games oftent he rules/techniques in various games are complex enough for me to of got a much better understanding of.

put it this way, my wife doesnt play games at all and she got this within seconds. and proceeded to wipe the floor with me.

the controls are ultra simple - hold B and move remote to move camera or hold A to aim and swing remote to throw.

Spielbergs involvement was to design a game he could play with his kids - and he has succeeded - it really is easy to play.

wide variety of multiplayer games ranging from levels with one tower which you take turns to throw a ball at to knock blocks off (each block is worth points), leading to people laughing cruelly at each other when you cock up and leave everything teetering on a tiny block only for someone else to nick all the points.
                ..to other levels where you each have a castle which you throw balls at to destroy the other person's first.

it doesnt look much in videos tbh, but it is hilarious to play.

Comment

Spent nearly six hours playing this 4 player today

Highlight modes:
                  -A seige game where you have to knock down each others castles (gems inside the castles are almost like lives, knock all of them off the board for a player and they are out of the game).
                  -A curling type game where you all start with four blocks that relate to your player, that you have to slide into point scoring positions or knock the opponent blocks out of scoring or off the board entirely.
                  -Jenga with multiple coloured blocks, where the game randomly selects which colour has to be taken next. It's a real bitch when clearly no Green should be touched, and the game demands a green is up next.

Not so good mode:
                  Shooting. It's basically a light gun game but it sucks big time, with four players it becomes a bit of a clusted F.

Didn't try any of the coop modes, as these were all two players only, or locked. The competitive modes are all unlocked from the off.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                    What was Spielberg's involvement with this?
                    According to game's producer, whole concept was his idea, and Spielberg had meeting with the developers at least once a week. During these meetings, he gave feedback and refined the ideas.

Comment

I'm guessing this is going to be like Geometry Wars, and be another one that is US/UK only

I should really get a Freeloader.

Comment

Check out this awesome

Shows what you can do with the edit mode, and how cool the physics are.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                          I'm guessing this is going to be like Geometry Wars, and be another one that is US/UK only
                          You have a japanese Wii? EA tends to release all its games in Japan too. Furthermore, this is one of those that Nintendo has pushed heavily all around the world, so that should guarantee release.

Comment

Picked this up today and decided I'd have a quick go at about 7pm, 3 hours later and I'm still playing, brilliant game. I've only played single player so far but looking forward to some multiplayer when folks come round.

Comment

I had certainly considered picking this up when next in the US, guess I will do so
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                              X