Braid [XBL/PSN]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Braid [XBL/PSN]

I'm lucky enough to have the day off from work so it's rare I get in on the fresh XBLA content so quickly. I actually woke up this morning and thumbed through the latest Edge magazine and read their review of Braid. It's been one on my radar but I wasn't sure I'd be happy to put down 1,200 gamerpoints on it. Post branflakes I hopped onto Xbox Live.

Downloading and booting up this morning just the presentation and score alone had instantly sold me. This is some genius platforming - just 'solving' World 2 was a tricky feat and gave one of those " hmm it can't be this surely ? " moments only to try it and find that it is

The game involves collecting jigsaw puzzle pieces littered throughout the 2d plaform worlds - collecting these allows you to use them to put together a jigsaw puzzle in order to 'solve' the world as it were. Collecting these isn't easy by any means - Braid starts you off with some basics but then you realise to collect some you're going to need to think about the gravity/momentum required to reach them , for example jumping from a greater height to bounce off an enemies back propelling you high enough to grab said piece.

Braid has a nifty rewind time mechanic ala Timeshift but a lot more stylish. I'm not one who likes to restart levels, actually I despise dying in ANY game as I just become infuriated at the fact I'll have to do all I've accomplished again. Bump into an enemy and die , no problem.. simply hold X to rewind briefly and try again. This mechanic is there for a specific reason as a lot of the puzzle collecting requires explicitly perfect timing jumping on an enemy being fired out of a canon to propel yourself up etc and just makes the entire experience seamless.

After traversing World 2 and collecting all the puzzle pieces I was offered the option to unlock the game after a little nod to the Mario series from a little dinosaur who greeted me from a small castle , he asked if I would like to unlock the game - I agreed instantly.
    Last edited by Brad; 20-12-2009, 18:22.

Originally posted by reektan View Post
    the presentation and score alone had instantly sold me
    Originally posted by reektan View Post
    he asked if I would like to unlock the game - I agreed instantly
    Same here. What a delight.

Comment

Crikey - instant new game mechanic in world 3. The rewind feature is a lot more than simply a tool for saving yourself - amazing

Comment

Oh my, this is lovely. It looks and sounds every bit as lovely as I'd hoped it would!

I've finished worlds two and three. I was stumped on two for ages and when you finally work out what to do to get the last few pieces, man, what an awesome solution!

Comment

hope this lives up to my expectations later, I got all stoked by Lost Wind (or whatever it was called on Wiiware) a while ago after similar positive vibes and played it once thinking it was a stinker.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
            I was stumped on two for ages and when you finally work out what to do to get the last few pieces, man, what an awesome solution!
            Yup! I was laughing like a loon when I finally got them after an "I wonder if" moment.

Comment

I don't like the mechanic in world five much, I can't get the hang of it at all!

Comment

Well I've just finished World 3. Took me far longer than it should have to get the last puzzle piece. Turns out the bit I thought was useless wasn't so useless after all. Tempted to stop playing this for today so I can savour it for longer.

Comment

Not had a chance to try this yet, is it the sort of game that will still be fun to play once completed? My hard drive is peppered with Arcade games I've not touched since completing and I don't know if I want to pay 1200 points for another.

Comment

Nooooo More money!

I saw this last week and thought meh looks abit Dizzy series to me ie poor mans mario but just played the trial and straight onto checking bank to go off and buy it. Its sublime, thought prevoking and soul enducing music mixed in with a great platformer. Could be best game on live and thats with Geo wars 2 last week

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos G View Post
                      Well I've just finished World 3. Took me far longer than it should have to get the last puzzle piece. Turns out the bit I thought was useless wasn't so useless after all. Tempted to stop playing this for today so I can savour it for longer.
                      Lol, I know just what bit you mean. It probably could have been explained or introduced differently so that you knew what it did, it was a bit lucky I found out what it did!

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                      Not had a chance to try this yet, is it the sort of game that will still be fun to play once completed? My hard drive is peppered with Arcade games I've not touched since completing and I don't know if I want to pay 1200 points for another.
                      I don't think there's much replayability in it once it's done, but while it lasts it is amazing. Speed runs will up the value for money a bit, but it's a short short game. It can be finished in under 45 minutes once you know what you're doing. Working out what you're doing is all of the fun though

I've finished it now with 60 puzzle pieces, and am the 26th person in the world to do so, apparently, quite a pointless leaderboard but, whatever! I think I'll have to go through and read all the story bits now because I totally lost the plot somewhere around world six, and I've no idea what happened.

Comment

loving this maddening in places but fantastic

am stuck on one piece of world one, its the room with the jigsaw in and the piece thats above the door right at the end cant seem to think how i can use the game mechanics to make me get to it any tips ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                          loving this maddening in places but fantastic

am stuck on one piece of world one, its the room with the jigsaw in and the piece thats above the door right at the end cant seem to think how i can use the game mechanics to make me get to it any tips ?
                          If you're on about the bit I think (I've only played the trial version)

then have a closer look at the big jigsaw once you've put together the pieces you've got.

Comment

Just played this. VERY disappointed after reading all the views in here. Thought the animation was terrible, graphics were average, and the music drove me potty. Didn't enjoy it in the slightest. Sorry

Comment

I couldn't understand the hype for this game following showings on the 1up show etc, but I figured it must have something to it so gave the demo a pop. While I wasn't impressed with the look and feel in the videos, having it home in HD seem to make it all work together so well, and I think the music is fantastic too.

I'm pretty rubbish at it but managed to get the first world complete fairly quickly, struggling with the other worlds however, they certainly get tougher!

Probably not worth 1200 but what the hell, it is very nicely produced with some of the most cunning puzzles I've seen in a long time. The story is a bit pointless though!

Comment

Working...
                              X