No announcement yet.

[PS3/360/PC] Dead Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only about 5 chapters in to this but I quite like it. The lack of HUD/GUI and the way everything integrates in-game is really slick, and does a great deal for immersing you right into its world. Don't know if it's been noted so far in the thread, but my mate playing the PS3 one said that he much prefers the 360's saving system where it keeps it in game, as the PS3 one drops you out of the game to a generic PS3 save screen and breaks the flow.

Audio design is top notch and whilst all of the 'boo' moments are having the desired effect it doesn't necessarily equate to a scary experience for me, and whilst that's not a complaint as such it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Plot's not particularly strong (watched the 6 animated comics available on Live yesterday too) but will be interesting to see how it develops later on.

Comment

I find it strange how many people say they don't find it scary. It scares the living **** out of me!

Comment

I think scare-factor is really a person-to-person thing. I'm of the impression that Bioshock doesn't scare that many people, but I finally got round to playing it the other week and nearly shat my pants.

Comment

for those who have finished it.....

check the first letter of each chapter title and put them together for a easter egg message thingy

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
            I think scare-factor is really a person-to-person thing. I'm of the impression that Bioshock doesn't scare that many people, but I finally got round to playing it the other week and nearly shat my pants.
            I think you're right fuse, its quite personal.

Its audio that does it for me. It was the noise the creatures towards the end of Resi 4 made that scared the crap out of me, its the constant creaking, clanging, shuffling and screaming in Dead Space and thinking back to the dim and distant past System Shock 2 also scared me - again down to excellent audio.

Gore just makes me laugh. Audio makes me poop myself.

Comment

The monsters become to common to quickly so I very rarely found it scarey, more quake 4 than Silent Hill.

Comment

Started round 2 last night, somehow it's even better than the first time through: on initial play through it was all terrifying and panic-stricken, second time your character is one hard bastard and it becomes more like an arse-kicking action romp. Sort of like the difference between Alien and Aliens then.

Comment

Has anyone seen the anime Dead Space: Downfall? What tot. It doesn't explain much and doesn't even fit in properly with what logs found in the game. I was expecting some explanation of the evil bearded church bloke but he was never mentioned.

What happened to him in the game anyway? Just vanished.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Hogg View Post
                    Has anyone seen the anime Dead Space: Downfall? What tot. It doesn't explain much and doesn't even fit in properly with what logs found in the game. I was expecting some explanation of the evil bearded church bloke but he was never mentioned.

What happened to him in the game anyway? Just vanished.

he says he's undergoing a major transformation and you see him pull out one of those infection bats. Leave the room you're in, go around a corner and you see a bat on a body turning him into one of the black monsters.

Bit of a disappointment he's turned into a generic enemy in an understated way but fitting overall.

Comment

What's the recommended way for getting rid of the alien things on the wall that gob out more and more of the little tentacled slags? I can't tell where I'm meant to be aiming for, let alone what weapon is best for disposing of them quickly.

Comment

Plasma cutter was my best, Line Gun should take it out in couple of hits, aim for top half then bottom half should take out all tenticles and kill it.
                        With Plasma Cutter Just shoot out it's arms that are stuck on the wall, whilst trying not to get too close of course and avoiding little egg's it spits out, if they spit out kill them first just shoot/cut the tenticle, they will overcome you if its spits too many out.
                        Be quick though as its tenticles stick back onto wall if you leave it too long.

Comment

What's the recommended way for getting rid of the alien things on the wall that gob out more and more of the little tentacled slags? I can't tell where I'm meant to be aiming for, let alone what weapon is best for disposing of them quickly.
                          I pick up an explosive canister and fire it at the middle, as I do with all enemies in order to conserve ammo. I never even knew they spat out offspring until you said.

I think I've come across one so far that didn't supply me with any canisters in the proximity... Force grenades either side of him worked fine enough.

This game is dying out for a lightsabre style melee weapon, I supposed that would make things even more piss easy though.

Comment

Actually scratch that, I just had to fight two at once with no explosives. 2x force grenades to the centre for each one did the trick though.

Nearing the end of this now... a part of me doesn't want it to end.

Comment

OMG I just nearly fell victim to the 'One save file, no backtrack, no ammo/health, restart from the very beginning' mistake... But persistent Fallows rinsage of said section and mid-battle Store exploitation got me through... I was in the red-zone of HP and had just two ripper blades to my name. That little bit took me just over two hours. Awesome.

How can EA make a game like this? It can't be possible!!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
                                OMG I just nearly fell victim to the 'One save file, no backtrack, no ammo/health, restart from the very beginning' mistake... But persistent Fallows rinsage of said section and mid-battle Store exploitation got me through... I was in the red-zone of HP and had just two ripper blades to my name. That little bit took me just over two hours. Awesome.

How can EA make a game like this? It can't be possible!!
                                Excellent stuff Fallows! I had exactly the same in a

Frozen area

. I had to back track and slowly build up my ammo & reserves before going back and kicking arse*

*Just made it with no ammo and almost no health.

I agree, how did EA manage it! I'm also surprised that places like Eurogamer didn't score the game higher. Most odd as I normally agree with their scores.

Great to hear how you are getting on.

Reading this thread, the mirrors edge thread and the "Wasting money thread" is food for thought. Why bother using time on crap games when games like these deserve multiple playthroughs.

Comment

Working...
                                X