No announcement yet.

Border Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(apologies for cross-posting on other border down thread - thought it was relevant to this thread too)

I had a go on this for 20 mins at lunchtime as I got it today, first impressions for those who may be on the edge of putting in the order for this.....

I have the feeling about this like I first did when I got R-Type on the master system!! Bloody impressed!

From the start the music is quite relaxing but suits the game, no crazy techno here. The menus are largly English and it is easy to suss out what you are doing. At the start of a scene and inbetween sub-sections the game slips into FMV and back out into action (ala ikaruga - but even better here)

The weapon system is cool, you can fire forwards with holding it, tap it for homing blasts and the B button does a powerful charge blast. You can change speed at any time too.

The enemies are functional and bullets never too crazy to avoid (at least on the default of normal) the mid way bosses and end of level bosses (stages 1&2 I did so far) are big and impressive. It is great taking the first one down to his knees!

The VMU is even used to show you how many chains of shots you got - great!!

The border system is interesting, lose a life and the level is the same, but different!! I think it is harder.

You have 3 borders - green, amber and red (assuming you choose green route at the start), lets say i am on the green route and die at some point, the map pops up to show me that i have slipped onto the parallel amber route.... and from the amber when killed to red.

There are subtle differences to the level design in green -> amber -> red.... the similarities are such that you know it is the same section, but the background may be different (i.e. night rather than day) and also it seems different waves of baddies and obsticles can appear making it a slightly different experience.... also it would appear that amber is harder than green, and red is harder still

The scenary (and lighting) is awesome, and at times psuedo-3D

Anyhow I would say this is a good all round shoot em up. Worthy of any dreamcast owners collection. On first impressions this will offer a challenge on 1 credit for some time to come.

Buy it now!

Comment

Theres no FMV in Ikaruga.

Comment

Originally posted by bcass
        OK shall we say "transition scenes" then? The bit where it gets 3Dish and you don't control it!

Comment

Originally posted by AllYourBase
          Originally posted by bcass
          OK shall we say "transition scenes" then? The bit where it gets 3Dish and you don't control it!
          I call them funky fly-overs.

Comment

Originally posted by stroppa
            I call them funky fly-overs.
            Good name! Either way they're great! More of them please, Border down does them so well

Comment

I've played it now a few times, and I like it. The switching between homing and straight shots is a nice idea and the border system makes this a bit different from the usual.

I found this guide from GameFAQs rather helpful in explaining the scoring system - especially with regards to how your score is affected by how long you spend on the boss.

Comment

This is a superb shooter, very reminiscent of Einhander in pace. Those 'funky fly overs' are also used to great effect, much like Zero Gunner 2.

I also love the music; definately not you average shooter soundtrack!

Comment

I'm not convinced that the music fits the game very well. But I'm not going to let it bother me too much, I can always turn the volume down and put something else on.

Comment

I like it a lot, stage 3 is the best, it is like a jazz track or something! most entertaining!

Comment

Stage2 sounds like a daytime TV quizshow.

"And now... here's your host.... Lez Dennis!!!" (applause)

Comment

This game is polished class and i am loving it, but it's so hard. The laser weapon is very tasty and i think the whole game design from the levels to actual grahics is excellent.

I've only had a few 30 minute goes, but am i right in thinking that there are no continues at all? Lose 3 lives and 'game over man'. The options screen says Credits - 1/1 but you cant change it.

Only bad thing is the music. Personally i think it is bloody awful! Shooter music should be nosebleed techno/drum and bass or stirring power metal like Lords of Thunder, never and i repeat never should it be 'lounge jazz'n'bass for lifts compilation 17.'

Comment

You will get more continues. At the moment i've got 3/3. Just keep playing it more.

I've got to agree that the 2nd stage music does sound cheesy. Almost Parodious-like.

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
                            You will get more continues. At the moment i've got 3/3. Just keep playing it more.

I've got to agree that the 2nd stage music does sound cheesy. Almost Parodious-like.
                            I've had a few blasts and have got 3 continues (not that I will use them - hehe)

You make it sound like Parodious' music was a bad thing! I used to love that shooter! Didn't it have the birdie song on one level? Fantastic!!!

Comment

Heh,

Parodius-style music is fine (for Parodius) but personally, it doesn't suit this type of shooter. I was expecting epic overtures or something...

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
                                I was expecting epic overtures or something...
                                It wouldn't have gone amiss I admit. Still it would have been funny if Border down did have music as cheesy as Parodius! I would just sum Border Down's music as being acceptable but not exceptional, glad I didn't get the special edition, I wouldn't really want to listen to the CD in my car!

Comment

Working...
                                X