Phantasy Star Zero (DS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantasy Star Zero (DS)

Well, I have absolutely no idea where to start with this.

I'll get it out the way and say that it's absolutely brilliant, first of all. No, I don't understand a word of Japanese but yes, I did play Phantasy Star Online extensively so it was very easy to play.

If you HAVE prior knowledge of PSO and the way the game worked, you'll be right at home with this. Only a few minor things have changed and I would strongly advice any current PSO or PSU player to pick this up, even in Japanese, now.

I don't understand a word and yet i've managed to navigate the entire single player storyline, understand all the NPCs aswell as the items and weapons, and the way they work. So if anybody has any questions feel free to fire them my way.

Well, as i've already stated the game is more like PSO than PSU. The timing attack system is back in properly, you have your palette of 6 keys which you can map to anything you like, Mags are back in for you to feed and evolve and as a result, so are photon blasts. What's been added from PSU is the inclusion of a camera lock-on and strafe, and what IS nice is a rolling dodge command which you can use to evade any attack with the proper timing.

Photon Arts are back in, however they are attached to weapons. Not things you learn. Hold in an attack button and you will charge that weapon's PA.

There are PROPER GUN PA'S NOW, none of this elemental bullet crap.

It's better than Universe. Fact.

There's no running around trying to find mission lobbies, etc. You have one city, and all of the quests are obtained from a single NPC. You have your weapon vendor, item vendor, armor vendor, tekker, and later on, you get Photon Drop trading NPCs aswell as an NPC to turn enemy parts into weapons.

Beasts are gone. Just Humans, Newmans, and CASTs.

You have Normal, Hard, and Super Hard difficulties, with 7 areas each. The single player is very easy to navigate and all conversations with NPCs can be fast forwarded. All conversation choices SEEM to be optional, as i've just blagged my way through them and it's made no difference. You talk to a few NPCs, you go to the quest lady, you choose the 'Main' quest or a 'New' quest if you want to play an optional quest in an area you've just done, and you're off.

Wi-Fi play is very well done.

If you're playing with randoms, then you get to choose a difficulty, what quests you're willing to play on, and then search for random players.

It will pick a random mission out of what you've chosen, and you'll all be able to go off and do that mission. All chat is presets, so you can't use pictochat or custom chat with anyone you're playing randomly. You also only get to play the one mission before you're sent back to the starting city and you have to re-search for another mission.

You can only search to play areas that you've currently unlocked in Story Mode.

If you're playing with friends, you have the option to use a Pictochat style symbol chat with other people. Unfortunately there's no text input, it's all writing. But you can all stay together, do as many quests as you like, and just have fun levelling. You can also play all the quests that the host has done, so even if you only have the starting 3 areas, you can still play through the rest of the game if the Host's already done it.

Content seems to be all new! There are no areas you're revisiting, I don't even think i've seen a weapon that's the same. Everything seems to be new, including the bosses! (Well, there's some Dragon in it again...)

So in short, it's like PSO, it's miles better than PSU, they've done everything properly and not given us recycled levels and weapons, and added enough new stuff in.

It's incredibly good, go buy it, and give me all your wi-fi codes so I can start power levelling you all with my uber shifta and deband.

Originally posted by Silvergun X View Post
    Well, as i've already stated the game is more like PSO than PSU.
    Sold.

I still play PSOBB to this day, and really don't like how PSU played at all.

Comment

You'll be right at home with this one.

Another few things I forgot to mention,

Item looting works differently now. Enemies themselves don't drop loot. Instead, it builds and collects all of the loot up from you killing all the enemies in a certain area, and as soon as they're all dead, it puts them all in a chest.

Knock the chest open and all the loot you've just earned spills out. If you're playing with other people, everybody gets their own individual loot. What you see to pick up, is yours and yours alone. Likewise, you can't see the items everybody else has just got.

There's now no 'tagging' EXP. Everybody all gets the same EXP from a monster's death, but you have to be in the same general location as them to gain the exp from it so you can't just sit battles out and get exp from it.
      Last edited by Silvergun X; 26-12-2008, 17:28.

Comment

For those who didn't get the preorder weapon cards heres the 4 passwords you enter into the vending machine in the sewers to get these special weapons. Enjoy

4137 5476 - Selberia's Spear (セルベリアの槍)
        5247 3115 - Variant (ヴァリアント)
        3489 9723 - Houken Blade Cannon (砲剣ブレイドカノン)
        8331 7716 - Leek (みっくみくのネギ)

Found them while trawling the net looking for more info on the new weapons & mags, i cant wait to see what the heart of puyo mag cell creates, im guessing a puyo of some kind but what? Oooh the anticipation

Comment

And for the record, the Leek is basically a comedy Psycho Wand.

Level 20 wand, and the charged Photon Art on it doesn't use ANY PP WHATSOEVER, and will cast a random high level technique.

Also worth noting that all of the pre-order weapons can be used by any class and race.

If anyone's interested, I have a couple of VERY nice Level 20+ weapons for trade. One of them is a handgun that looks like a watering gun, and one of them is like a fire agito with a VERY good PA.

Also got a spare golden revolver, also level 20+. Found a great pair of golden mechguns with the most AMAZING slow-motion photon art on them ever, but I am NOT giving them away.
          Last edited by Silvergun X; 26-12-2008, 18:08.

Comment

Wonder if seasonal quests are in this version, i used to love the fact you could get some quirky **** for your characters by taking part in the seasonal quests.

To this day on the gc ver my char is forever equipped with samba maraccas, chu chu armor & a dreamcast mag LOL

Cant wait till my copy turns up, damn you sega for releasing it on xmas day lol, think of the importers. I doubt mine will show up before jan

Comment

I haven't come across any seasonal rare enemies over the christmas period, but that's not to say we won't start getting some if you set your DS's date to things like valentines day or white day, whatever.

Try it out.

Comment

Beasts are gone.
                I was going to wait for the US release but after that statement.. SOLD!

Where's the cheapest place? £36 is a bit much for me at the moment.

Comment

Found another code, on the japanese wiki

Something called a v jump shield

4841-9476 ・Vジャンプシールド (大盾)

Comment

Sounds fantastic. Thanks for the very detailed impressions! I'm going to wait for the US release but you've totally sold me. I always thought back in the DC days that a handheld PSO would be great. Shame there's no text input though.

How's the music quality? Is it typical PSO stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      Found another code, on the japanese wiki

Something called a v jump shield

4841-9476 ・Vジャンプシールド (大盾)
                      Confirmed. Level 20 shield type weapon.

Very bizarre, has a random shouting face on it and the Photon Art seems to be some sort of barrier around yourself, possibly a radius attack.
                      Last edited by Silvergun X; 26-12-2008, 19:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Sounds fantastic. Thanks for the very detailed impressions! I'm going to wait for the US release but you've totally sold me. I always thought back in the DC days that a handheld PSO would be great. Shame there's no text input though.

How's the music quality? Is it typical PSO stuff?
                        Yep, pretty much. I'd say it was very, very good personally.

The
                        music especially is incredibly good, and also is one of the best looking levels in the game.

The new Falz is a complete pain in the arse too, and the initial stage of it is actually completely light, not dark!

Comment

Confirmed. Level 20 shield type weapon.

Very bizarre, has a random shouting face on it and the Photon Art seems to be some sort of barrier around yourself, possibly a radius attack.
                          Theres a matching flying blade for that shield called the v jump slicer too, im guessing it will be another vending code.

LOL a shield with a shouting face that sounds rather bizzare indeed

Comment

I'd be very interested in that slicer, the slicer type weapons in this game are incredible - My main character is running around with a red box Lv. 36 slicer at the moment.

I think they're mainly Force weapons though as their power is based on MST/MND.

Comment

I've given in and ordered on play-asia.

Hopefully I won't have any problems navigating the menus and figuring it out o.O

Comment

Working...
                              X