Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

360 version £26.07 at Amazon

Comment

Got the WII- Version yesterday and I really like it. Also got Grand Slam Tennis, but Virtua Tennis is a lot more accurate and let's you place your shots wherever you want, no more problems with longline winners. The presentation is worse than in EA's product. It's the typical VT presentation style with terrible music and plastic faces, altough the graphics in general are quite good for the WII. But what matters here is the playability, precise shot detection and the intuitive controls.
      If you like quick, local multiplayer matches with your friends, this is the better alternative as the controls are a lot easier to learn and there isn't as much frustration with the controls as in Grand Slam Tennis during the first five to ten hours or so.
      Just keep in mind that you have to hold the Wiimote differently than in Grand Slam Tennis. If you're right-handed, the button-side of the Wiimote should point to the left, so that the cursor finger points to the left.
      Last edited by Mario Moustache; 20-06-2009, 08:06.

Comment

Well, I thought someone else might beat me to saying this...but here goes...360 version impressions.

How the f*cking hell have they gotten away with releasing this? It's the same f*cking game as the last one. Could they have made the online work? Yes. Did they? No. The ball still warps around, as do the players, you are still matched against people WAY above your skill level and even when you have the upper hand, they just out-power you and you may as well not try.

Graphically it seems a TINY bit better, presentation wise a lot better. The stock amateur opponents looks TERRIBLE, either anaemic, albino or strange shades of yellow/green! This is made all the worse by the fact that at the loading screen it loads for ages just go load those "avatars" in...then you never see them again!

The world tour is now an absolute grind, you go up one position every tournament (yes, every tournament, not match) you win, and since you start at place 100, that's an obscene grind for a pick up and play arcade sports game.

Sure, they've added a few new mini games and now you can play them online (woohoo I can do bowling now and watch my mates take their shots while I wait!) but...Jesus...I mean talk about phoning it in, if they are gonna do this then I don't understand why they don't just release it every year!

I could probably excuse most of the above, but the online...it's just appalling. I don't want to see a ball warp. When they are far left of screen and I hit it hard, fast and deep right side, I think I've got the point then suddenly the ball is being hit back at me by the invisible man...it's just a joke.

Also, why, when there is a wealth of tennis stars to choose from, do we get so few to play as? Am I the only one who doesn't want to play as f*cking King? Where is Leyton Hewitt?

I don't know what else to add really, but I can't believe anyone could excuse away this game, bar a few small changes it could be the last game with a new cover.

For me, sports games have moved on from this kind of ****. I didn't think much of the last Top Spin game, but I may have to rebuy it for my Tennis this year, because this is just rubbish.
        Last edited by Jebus; 22-06-2009, 17:30.

Comment

Yeah, i have to agree, it's shocking. I had it on the PS3 for about 3 hrs then sold it. Its a flagrant ripoff for one thing with no real discernable differences to VT3.

I also don't think it even plays as well as VT3. It just doesn't seem as fluid or precise. The mini games i think are tougher and the academy challenges are now ridiculous with only 30 seconds to pass each one. Used to be a minute in VT3 and even then some were tough to gold. The career is now as Jebus said a complete ****ty grind.

Imo, its a complete waste of money and it should have been a DL to go with VT3.

Comment

I actually forgot another gripe.

I played a ranked match from within World Tour, it was really close, one of those really enjoyable matches, but I broke his serve and was about to win when...CONNECTION LOST...[Ragequit]...

It was my first ranked match.

Did it register me as the winner? No.
            Did it register him as the winner? No.
            Did it register that I'd even played the match? No.

Played 0 - Won 0 - Lost 0

Load of ****.

Comment

I would say get Grand Slam Tennis with MotionPlus, you won't go wrong with that. The best tennis game available in my opinion. Even VT2009 on the Wii with MotionPlus is a bit dodgy!

Comment

I'd rate the series in this order:

VT2
                VT3
                VT2009 (PS3/360)
                VT1

There haven't been any really good new additions to the gameplay since VT2 and after nearly 10 years that's starting to get to me. I think Sega are stubborn about keeping the game to 2 buttons and are afraid of alienating casual players by adding more .

What changes they have made I don't even like. I don't mind the serving so much but the game seems to be geared more towards boring long attritional rallies now. It's really frustrating when your character take ages to hit a power shot or runs backwards when your trying to advance and take the ball early or on the full. Players also turn and recover faster now as well and although vollying was supposed to be improved it seems worse to me. I have also noticed the odd bit of slowdown (PS3 version).

It's still not a bad game in itself but having played through the series it is a really disappointing one.
                Last edited by Shoju; 03-07-2009, 11:30.

Comment

I picked up the cheap PC version today and to be honest, not impressed.

Graphics are plasticky and the game just feels like the "Fifa*" of the tennis world - not only in look of the characters but also the uninspiring controls and gameplay.

Back to GST on Wii for me.

* when Fifa was ****es

Comment

Anyone able to help me here.

I have the PS3 version and cant for the life of me get the 'win the point on a cross court shot' done in the academy, its the 3rd one in the advanced bit.

Im hitting cross court winners but it dont seem to register, clearly im doing something wrong, anyone managed it and if so how?

Comment

Just got this from amazon on the cheap, and although it's decent enough it's beyond lazy. I'm not going to rehash the points already on the thread, but could someone from Sumo (I know they sometimes read the forum) explain something to me?

Why is the bug that makes you occasionally move to the left against your will STILL in the game? It was in virtua tennis 3 and sega superstar tennis and it's in VT2009. Surely someone has noticed it while playtesting over the course of three different games?

Comment

I thought this was awful. You can't hit the ball out!

Comment

You can hit the ball out during regular play, but only under certain conditions.
                          Mainly:
                          - when in a poor position to return a smash, you will hit it out.
                          - sometimes when returning a powerful serve it can be hit out.

What the 2009 iteration killed it for me was online. In Virtua Tennis 3 the net infrastructure was bad enough pairing you with people from across the galaxy, as you get constant 'first serve, let' games that drag on and on. In 2009 it didn't happen as frequently. However the lobby system wasn't great in VT3 but they totally screwed it for 2009. Before in VT3 (when playing doubles) you and a mate would always be on the same team in ranked/ casual matches. In 2009 you always have to keep on choosing which side of the court you want. So unless the other two random people (who more than likely are not using mics) acknowledge this, you have to keep on setting up a new lobby, or wait until they switch sides.

Another double fault 2009 served was in the way the character you chose to use during these games. In VT3 you could choose a specific pro, or your own created character. In 2009 you are forced to use your created character only.

Another thing they should've cut from the game altogether is the cheap cord-ball shots.

Comment

I miss our Virtua Tennis doubles domination. It's just such hard work to get a decent doubles game going in 2009

Is there going to be a 2010 edition this summer?

Comment

Aye.
                              Me as Nadal, you as either Hewitt or Henman (for a laugh) absolutely crsuhed all who challenged. Even when those cheating continentals tried the cord-ball/ under-arm serves, we still trounced them.

As for a 2010 version. Hope not, if it follows the trend of 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X