Klonoa - Wii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klonoa - Wii

I just did a search for this and couldn't find a thread for it, which i find quite baffling, considering its a faithful remake of a classic.

Anyways my thoughts.

Absolutly love it, Its a complete remake of the original game with the whole gameplay and feel intact. The new graphical upgrade is pleasing to the eyes, just a little step up from Klonoa 2. The way I've been playing is using the wiimote like a controller, so i can't comment on the other control schemes. The jumps and movement are just as precise and perfect as it is on the psx. 100% faithful restoration, complete with the original music. They have added english voice acting so i can't comment if its good, i turned on the original Phatomile voices as thats what i remember fondly of it originally.

I really can't fault it, not even nitpick it a little. Such a great memorable game, still makes me sad after completing it.

If you haven't picked it up yet and have a Wii. Do yourself a favour and pick it up, its going for beans at the moment. The game deserves it.

It truly is an absolutely stunning game. The graphical style really suits the Wii and the platforming action brings back good memories from my youth when the second game came out on PS2.

I'm off work next week and this is next on the list to finish once inFamous is done and dusted.

Comment

You totally sold me on this. Gametrailers' review was good enough, but now there are no excuses not to get it.

Comment

Here's a good review if you want one:

Does Namco's Klonoa remake manage to capture the magic of the original Playstation release?

This is a steal for £14.99 from Play.com - I love how the 2.5D effect works. Nice little platformer.

Comment

(bare with the player!)

I don't normally say things like this but:-

Please buy this game! if you have a Wii and a spare £14.99 just go to play.com and buy it. I have been playing it for the past week and it is a rare gem that you play with a smile on your face.

Better then the original so if you fancy another play through you will love it even more.
          Last edited by 'Press Start'; 10-06-2009, 22:51.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start To Begin' View Post

(bare with the player!)

I don't normally say things like this but:-

Please buy this game! if you have a Wii and a spare ?14.99 just go to play.com and buy it. I have been playing it for the past week and it is a rare gem that you play with a smile on your face.

Better then the original so if you fancy another play through you will love it even more.

Ordered....

The original version is one of the greatest platformers ever made, so can't wait to play through it again really.

Comment

Practically 100%ed this outside of 150 gems on each level which is gonna be a bugger to do. The mirror mode and its secret portal bonus rooms (which are tough!) really do add longevity to what was originally a short yet memorable game and one of my favourites of the 32-bit era.

I thought the 3d character models would take away some of the little touches of emotion they put into the original sprites but their facial expressions and little touches are just as cute. The graphics are a great step beyond Klonoa 2 - the shininess and the glowy lighting that the Wii's been good at using in things such as Zelda is put to good use.

As for whoever asked about the English voice acting, I turned it on during my mirror mode playthrough - it isn't terrible aside from Klonoa's lack of dialogue during the first half of the game becoming way too apparent. His voice is a bit more Sonic-sounding than you'd imagine it too, but it oddly fits when he gets lines other than "Right!" or "Let's go!". There's mostly good voicework, Joka and Ghadius sound great, and a non-annoying Huepow, too.

Klonoa's Grandpa's death was the main scene I was playing English dub mode for to see how they handled it, it was surprisingly just as hard-hitting. Yet the ending seemed to lack a bit of heart. I kind of preferred the old look of the Moon Kingdom people - they looked less human - Huepow's true form looks a bit creepy particularly.

Totally worth ?15 on Play (or more) though, and this is coming from someone who played the original a bunch. They need to make more Klonoa!

Comment

Just to add my voice of consent to the other posters in this thread - I got stung for the US version of Klonoa, but it was worth every penny. At £14.99 it's practically a giveaway. A wonderful platformer full of charm & grace. Great stuff.

Comment

Shouldn't have clicked on this thread, had to order it thanks to you guys . How long is it on first play through? Never played the original although did enjoy Klonoa 2.

Comment

Its alot shorter than Klonoa 2. Its only a couple of hours long, but its one of them games that makes you play it again and again.

Comment

I'll also go ahead and say that this game is a must buy, even more so at its current price. I finished the Japanese version of this late last year, but it's one of the most fun games I've played on the Wii. Completing an Extra Vision challenge really makes you feel you've accomplished something, even if it's small term.

Comment

I believe the current pricing is actually what Namco have set to sell the game at. The RRP shows up everywhere as a £19.99 release. I've been after this since first reading about it on Kotaku a few months ago. Glad to read such great impressions, it would have been very easy to ruin Klonoa.

I didn't even realise it had come out in the UK until last week when I just thought I'd see if it was anywhere near a release, gutted I ain't got any money or time for it until July.

Comment

Been playing since yesterday and it's just an incredibly well-designed, pure, platformer. Requires some real joypad dexterity to get all the crystals at times. The triple jumpafter the second water slide on vision 2-2 really pushed me to perfection.

on thw world map after you clear a level 6 little characters appear (indicating the that can be saved in the level) but also a crystal below each level. What does this signify?

Comment

The colour of the crystal tells you if you have collected all crystals on the stage. A blue crystal means you have all 150, green ones mean try harder!

The people are those who you free throughout each stage, I think there is 6 per stage.

Getting all means you get mirror mode and a special hardcore stage that really tests your skills!

Comment

Right that makes sense. I think I have one blue crystal on the map (vision 2-2) whereas the others so far are green so guess I'll go back. Do you need to collect all crystals on a single run through the level?

Comment

Working...
                              X