COLIN McRAE DiRT 2!!!!1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarbles View Post
    I refuse to believe that, although I can sense when I'm about to lose control of the vehicle in every other racing game I've played, the handling model in this game is so utterly sensitive to camber and surfaces changes as to be beyond my abilities and comprehension.

But if that's the case, then I shall blame myself rather than the game.

Good job I know it's not the case as I'm not one to blame myself for mishaps :P

Not saying you are to blame or not mate, but for me, the handling model is one of the main strengths of the game.

It offers a great "Arcade feel" where you push it to limits and get away with handbreak slides and counter steering far in excess of simulation games.

I love the way the different surfaces react, and how the rally sections offer "Grippy" racing, and the trailblazer sections offer "How far will you push it before spinning off".

The flashback features is such genious for trailblazer as it encourages you to try taking the long winding desert tracks at 220Kph!

I have really enjoyed my time with Dirt and the final

memorial race and video

were a great touch.

Superb game, with great handling and the best racing visuals I've yet seen. Easily an 8.

Comment

Graphically it is stunning but the repitation really grates, I'm bored of the same circuits. Not much variety between most countries either, where's the mud and snow etc

Comment

Completed the career mode tonight and i agree it was a bit too repetitive, felt like i was grinding out the last 2-3 hours of events and the stupid driver comments before the race starts like 'welcome to baja california, it's cookin' and sand seems to get everywhere' become insanely depressing! WTF does that even imply.

Overall though an enjoyable game, loved the Rally and Trailblazer and playing them events online now which is good fun.

Comment

So you can really play multiplayer on rally stages with collision turned on? I love that mode and it's been lamentably absent from the series since Colin McRae on ps1. I mean to hell with realism, it's the most entertaing way to play multipalyer imo.

I suprised at the love for rallisport challenge. I thought the game was seriously mediocre with laughable handling and massively inferior the Colin McRae games at the time.
          Last edited by moonwhistle; 17-01-2010, 14:42.

Comment

Not played RC1 but RC2 was amazing, but a VERY arcadey experience. It was just more fun than more focused rally games (which I also enjoyed too).

Comment

I'm still trying to find out if the online / local multiplayer in Dirt 2 has real opponents and proper collisions in all the events?

I bought Dirt 1 yesterday and was amazed at how pointless the online multiplayer is.

Thanks.

Comment

I picked this up brand new for £19.99 in gamestation and its really rather good.

The hideous extreeeeeeeme yank stuff is as vile as expected but you can switch off mid race waffle, just leaving the nasty menus.

The actual racing though is really good, nice and arcadey but with a bit of depth and good variety of events.

Really enjoying it for the dosh.

Comment

I'd recommend anybody who thought the demo of this was rubbish but who likes racers to reconsider and maybe have a look at this on the cheap.

I hated the demo but am now hooked and its rapidly turning into a fave racer.

Its not a sim but if you like that middle ground between pure arcade and sim racer this hits a spot quite nicely.

The graphics are unfeasibly gorgeous in places too.

Another game I nearly missed because of a lousy demo.

Comment

Originally posted by robrymond View Post
                    Graphically it is stunning but the repitation really grates, I'm bored of the same circuits. Not much variety between most countries either, where's the mud and snow etc
                    I completely agree, and my impressions earlier in the thread are still my current thoughts.

It's very beautiful and has an eclectic mix of cars but all the US events are nowhere near as thrilling as the pure rally events, there's not enough variation is environments and the lack of tracks is a real disappointment.

The Car control is thrilling and the atmosphere of driving is sound, but the lack of variety is what dampened it and ultimately did not make me want to come back.

Comment

Does anybody still have the PS3 version of this?

Since my deciding last year to actually complete some games before buying new ones I've been slowly working my through some of my older games getting 100% on them.

I've pretty much completed this one now apart from a couple of online Trophies, they aren't difficult really apart from the With Great Honor trophy as it requires me to complete 3 or 4 online races in a row with no collisions.

It would be really easy to do but even when I stay on the start line for a while everybody else is driving into each other so much that no matter how slowly I drive along the course there's always some fool who manages to go slower than me when I'm trying to be last and crash into me.

Seriously, you'd be amazed at how many 2nd & 3rd places I've managed to get while trying my absolute hardest to be in last place each race. Honestly, I'm driving really slowly and there's cars exploding all over the place on the track in front of me!

If anybody has the PS3 version and is willing to put in what would be about 10 minutes work to help me can you please let me know so I can move onto the next of around 50 games I'm trying to complete.

Cheers.

Comment

In a desire to plug my wheel into as many games as possible fired this again and have to say the wheel really brings it to life

I liked it before but found it quite hard to really throw some of the vehicles about, not any more, it's a totally different (and better) game with really strong force feedback.

Comment

likewise. i just finished Shift, now it's time to get back to rally with Dirt 2. force feedback is truly excellent here. which wheel do you use?

Comment

Nothin too flash, the Microsoft official one.

I'm surprised at the force it exerts in this, especially with big Baja racing trucks. Its far subtler than I executed too somehow imparting the feel of the different surfaces and how the 4 wheels are gripping

Very impressive

Comment

I've given this another bash since getting the rather gorgeous Fanatec Carera wheel on PC. If you can look beyond the gash american street talk and the frustrating 3d menus, then there's an incredible off road racer underneath.

The A.I cars work really well and the sense of immersion is fantastic. I just unlocked Utah and to see the huge canyons in the distance and then drive through them is an incredible experience. I also think It's one of the best looking games I've ever played (dx11). Some of the scenery is simple jaw dropping.

Lets hope they take all the best bits and remove all the guff for no 3.

Comment

Just picked this up off steam today and hell i have been missing out. An absolutly adrenaline fuelling racer and it runs and looks sweet on my pc, it must really look dreamy on the higher resolutions.

Comment

Working...
                                X