No announcement yet.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished it last nights, on normal after 11:21 hours of gameplay.

What a ride! I thought the end was OK, it was always going to be hard to finish such a rollercoaster of a game.

Completetion gives such a sense of satsisfaction, I feel like I've seen a great film, played a great Tomb Raider game and completed a compelling shooter all at once!

A true quality product, which in terms of design and execution is GOTY, but on a personal tastes level I'm more of a strategic shooter fan, so it's not my favorite game of the year.

Much like the first game, despite not being that fussed over the genre the gameplay on offer is so good you feel compelled to see it to completion.

I sincerely hope this game sells by the bucketloads.

Comment

the patch has really improved the matchmaking, my son had got really frustrated at waiting around and this morning his games are filling up in seconds.

I was loving this up until the last 15% or so in single player, it then becomes a bit of a tedious trudge thru shoot out after shoot out, I think the pacing was perfect until then but I reached a point a few days back where I stopped feeling the urge to go back and finish this.

still an excellent game a worthy of the plaudits its getting

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
        the patch has really improved the matchmaking, my son had got really frustrated at waiting around and this morning his games are filling up in seconds.

I was loving this up until the last 15% or so in single player, it then becomes a bit of a tedious trudge thru shoot out after shoot out, I think the pacing was perfect until then but I reached a point a few days back where I stopped feeling the urge to go back and finish this.

still an excellent game a worthy of the plaudits its getting
        Any particular sections?

I didn't enjoy the combat so much until quite near the end. The tank section in the village and the fight through the snowy monastery to the secret entrance to the shrine I loved. I can't remember if these were right near the end though.

The last boss fight was utter pants imo.

Comment

its the bit up to the secret entrance, its just shoot out after shoot out with nothing to break it up. not got past that yet.

online is rock solid, my son has been obsessively hammering it this weekend for the double cash and ranking and we've not had a single disconnect, glitch or player warping. its like having 16 people in a room with controllers. very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
            Anyone got a good statergy for getting the trophy where you have to kill 10 enemies in a row by softening them up with gunfire first then killing them with a single punch?

Seems a pretty mean feat really, theres no indication of when a single punch will kill them.
            Don't know if you have this trophy yet. Use "The Dig" (Chapter 4 - the check point that sees you start in the hut in the middle where you first get to use the grenades properly). Got both the Steel Fist and Brutal expert trophies in there with minimal fuss.

Got the Platinum tonight, completing Crushing and getting the last few weapon based trophies in the process. Wonderful game and one that's going to be hard to beat for my GOTY.

Hoping to still get some MP action in though, so if anyone seems me online regardless of what I'm playing drop me a message and I'll let you know if I'm up for it.

Comment

Had a fixation with this yesterday as I broek through the Hard difficulty and made quick work of the remaining trophies that were outstanding. There's some cheeky exploits floating around to grab some trophies easier including one that helps get past the last boss a lot easier but the only one left for me now is the Crushing one which I've dashed my way to Ch3 where the game gets going.

Throughout I've managed to get some decent mp playtime in so the game is rolling to an end just in time for me with COD about to hit.

Comment

On the subject of Trophies I plan to make this my first Platinum Trophy game. I may then go back and do the original. Normally I don't bother with this kind of thing but Naughty Dog have poured so much love into this game it would be wrong of me to not complete it properly.

Comment

The Platinum trophies in both this and the original are actually very straightforward, have them both.

Comment

I finished this on 'Normal' at the weekend and I loved every minute of it. The combat which I found a bit cumbersome in the original (despite that I still loved it) clicked for me and I loved every fight I was in. The set pieces were stunning, the graphics and locations wonderful and the voice acting and the cast of characters are second to none. In fact in some ways it's the best adventure film I've seen/played in years.

I've had a few quick blasts on the multiplayer over the weekend and that is better than I thought it would be. I must admit I had my doubts about multiplayer Uncharted, but it did give me that one more go feeling, even though I spent most of it as cannon fodder!

I've never been one for trophy hoarding or replaying games, but I'm certainly going to replay this. I feel a tad ashamed that despite a decent amount of looking I only found 40 treasures, so I'll play through again in order to try and do better on that front. This was my big game of the year due to my love of the original and Naughty Dog certainly didn't let me down. By far and away my GOTY, and a big contender for my favourite game ever.

Comment

I played my single competetive MP game last night to get the trophy. Just my luck to be on the skeleton team in the train wreck map - slight advantage to the zombies in that one! :-p

EDIT: Also Uncharted 2 is responsible for 100% of my tweets.

Comment

This game is clearly excellent but the "best game ever" level of praise for it has left me a little confused. I ought to preface this by saying I am around halfway through after roughly six hours play (up to the chapter called "Mountaineering", I believe) and haven't touched the multiplayer yet. I am fully prepared to retract these comments if the content of the remainder of the game demands it.

It is, as others have pointed out, expertly crafted: technically superb, exemplary production values, rarely frustrating, immensely satisfying. The characters are cliched but fun; the locations are varied and appealing; the pacing is excellent; the story lightweight but lighthearted enough to get away with it; the set-pieces impressive; the mechanics solid.

But I don't see anything more than "merely" a fantastic action game. There's no genius here in the way there is in - I dunno - Super Mario 64, Thief, Deus Ex, Ocarina of Time, Halo. (Note - I do not in any way want to provoke a discussion about those games' merits or compare Uncharted 2 directly to them.)

So I think it's really, really good but can't quite figure out where people are getting the "best game ever" stuff from.

Comment

Originally posted by _y_ View Post
                          So I think it's really, really good but can't quite figure out where people are getting the "best game ever" stuff from.
                          Premature adulation? Nevermind - fantastic game!

Comment

I think it's a bit unfair to follow

Originally posted by _y_ View Post
                            But I don't see anything more than "merely" a fantastic action game. There's no genius here in the way there is in - I dunno - Super Mario 64, Thief, Deus Ex, Ocarina of Time, Halo.
                            with

(Note - I do not in any way want to provoke a discussion about those games' merits or compare Uncharted 2 directly to them.)
                            That's a bit of a cop out Personally I'm not sure I see any genius in those games other than the work to make them standout examples of their respective genres. And if you can't apply that to Uncharted 2, I see no reason why those titles deserve such accolade either.

Without being provoked too far into the merits discussion I don't have a problem with Uncharted 2 being "merely" a fantastic action game. What's wrong with a fantastic action game? Especially if it has the qualities you described:

expertly crafted: technically superb, exemplary production values, rarely frustrating, immensely satisfying. The characters are cliched but fun; the locations are varied and appealing; the pacing is excellent; the story lightweight but lighthearted enough to get away with it; the set-pieces impressive; the mechanics solid.
                            You say there's no genius. For a development team to set out to ape the films that influenced it and completely nail the same essence of those films, but in game form. For me that hits the standard as close to genius as I'm willing to credit any game with.
                            Last edited by Riskbreaker; 02-11-2009, 20:52.

Comment

I still maintain that it's the best game I've ever played. Yes Mario 64 / Galaxy / Ocarina of Time are right underneath this but it's the characters and the way the game makes you, for want of a better word, care about them that just lifts it above them.

The way I see it the star of the Zelda games have always been the dungeons and in Mario games it's the levels. Could I care if Mario rescues Peach in the grand scheme of things? No, but the journey is fun. Do I, however, care if

Elena and Drake get together at the end of the game?

Yes, because the game has created these believable characters and they have endeared themselves to me due to the performances of the cast.

It's the sheer level of technical brilliance and polish that ND have bestowed upon U2, along with the ripping good story and character performances that make it the best game I've ever played!

And, as is always the way, it comes down to personal taste. I thought Thief and Deus Ex were bobbins! But hey, that's just me.

Comment

Any idea when we get the old skins back? Getting a bit sick of being a skeleton with glowing eyes that can be picked off by a sniper 100 miles away. I was thinking it was just for the weekend, but still seems to be live.

Comment

Working...
                                X