Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP) demo+full version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantasy Star Portable 2 (PSP) demo+full version

Hmm. Deja Vu. Does SEGA think if they don't have a cute female character for you to rescue that no-one like like the game? Phantasy Star Portable, Phantasy Star Zero...and this too. PSO wasn't like this (mind you, Red Ring Rico...).

Anyway, for those who have played the demo or intend to, here is the plot.
    You help Amelia who then turns out to have the spirit of one of the inhabitants of the Graval star system inside her. The people who lived here previously were all infected by SEED, created a new race (the Humans in PSP2) and then gave up their corporeal forms. They now sleep, waiting for the Humans to trigger certain traps so they can take over their bodies. Cheeky.

The demo handles like PSP with the added "dodge" button from PSZ. Gone are the boring maps where you just select where to go next - 3D wandering is back.

Tinkering around in the menus I've found the options for setting autotext, so that when you start a mission, die, etc. you automatically say "Good luck", "d'oh" or whatever. That's one thing that Monster Hunter 3 really needs.

Your hunters card has a visual representation of your level, which is a very novel idea and I look forward to seeing that evolve when the full game comes out. There is also a list of all the rare weapons in the game, obviously starting with them all blanked out. That is brand new as far as I know, and an interesting if odd idea at that.

The demo lets you level up to 2 characters to level 15 so that's what I'll probably do. Oh, and I carried my character over from PSP and got the bonus items. Very nice but NOT essential.

The full version looks to have an install option to cut down loading times. Very handy.

Grab from amazon
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Does the demo feature online play?

Comment

Even if there's no online Hoolak, it can be played through Adhoc party so no worries there.

Comment

There is online play IF you're part of the trial, which you have to apply for via the J-PSN.

Good point though MisterBubbles. Sadly I don't have a PS3.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBubbles View Post
          Even if there's no online Hoolak, it can be played through Adhoc party so no worries there.
          Not if you rely on a wireless internet connection like me

Damn I really need to see if I can work out a non-messy way to get a wire upstairs.

Comment

This really feels like Phantasy Star Portable v1.2
            SEGA should have used the same idea as they did in PSZ and have the photon arts tied to the weapon.

Comment

it sounds alot of fun

Comment

After some time on this and revisiting the first one I can appreciate the changes more.

Type-changing seems to have been dropped in favour of "Exceed Points" where the grades of weapons that your character can use can be changed according to how many points you've earnt.

Long swords and double handguns (and probably a few more weapons) now let you guard using the R button. Plus shields can actually be equipped in one hand to go with a short sword. [Looks like someone at SEGA has been playing Monster Hunter...] The shield moves can actually do damage to the attacking monster if you time it right.

You can now store up to 1000 items back at the base and can send items directly there even when out on a mission. That is a nice idea so you don't have to think about offloading everything between missions.

The killer sharks from PSO make an appearance too. Very nostalgic.

Overall, a definite improvement over the first one.

There is one bug in the demo, where if you are using square to attack and change the camera angle with the D-buttons the PSP sometimes acts as if you've pushed the Home button. I've actually repeated this on purpose to prove to myself that I didn't touch the Home button by mistake. I didn't.
                SEGA, we'd like that taken out please!

Comment

Got an email with my code for a trial license online. The trial doesn't start until November 9th so I still have time to get my chara up to lvl15.

Comment

Just had a couple of goes online and have to say it works well, though when you connect you go to the "Matching Counter" where you have to join a party. You can see the levels of the other players before you join, you can make your own party and add a password if you like, etc.

It does what it says on the tin. Now we just need someone to make a PSP keyboard...

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                      It does what it says on the tin. Now we just need someone to make a PSP keyboard...
                      Couldn't SCE update firmware so that their Bluetooth PS3 keypad could be paired with the PSPGo?

Comment

Doesn't really help the however-many-million PSP1/2/3000 owners though.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                          Doesn't really help the however-many-million PSP1/2/3000 owners though.
                          Very true. I look down on you lot. With my overpriced Go with a lack of games. However, I feel mostly regal

Comment

Damn this doesnt work on my custom firmware, and I have forgotten how you do all this upgrading since I aint done it for ages.

Comment

You need the equivalent of 6.00 to run the demo.

Comment

Working...
                              X