Fifa 2010 - World Cup South Africa [All formats]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fifa 2010 - World Cup South Africa [All formats]

This arrived today for my 360 and I've had a quick blast, having missed the demo completely on any platform. I'd actually forgotten I'd ordered this....

Anyway, short version is that I love it after having a few games in each of the modes. The scenario mode is back which I've really enjoyed, so there's loads of games from the qualifying campaign where you have to achieve objectives for points. Obviously you then have the different WC modes themselves letting you play from qualifying through to the final with real or made-up fixtures etc.

The gameplay unsurprisingly feels like Fifa 10 but tweaked. I've had a couple of 1 on 1s with keepers and they definitely don't rush out like they do in 10, so the lob is going to be harder to pull off. I've also seen keepers fumbling shots more often than in 10 already.

One of the other bugbears of mine that appears to be fixed is when you were chasing a ball that was about to go out and no matter what you did, your player just bundled it over the line instead of keeping it in play. On a few occasions where the ball would normally have gone out, I've been able to catch it and keep it in with my player turning to face the pitch again.

There's a load of cosmetic updates and some nice animations, but a couple of the managers seem to have properly demonic eyes for some reason, a bit disturbing.

No update for the game available but its saying there's a squad update already for it.

Presentation is the usual EA fare, but I have to say that I'm genuinely excited about the potential for this. I've always enjoyed their World Cup games, but the gameplay has always been sadly lacking, whereas I think this is the first time they've actually had a brilliant game of football behind it.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

we are playing some local 1:1 multiplayer, other than being confused by the camera setting which took us ages to get zoomed in (use the custom setting for multiplayer) we are loving it too.

high points are the great match atmosphere and the new penalty system, as expected its simply a tweaked FIFA10, changes will reveal themselves over time.

so far so positive from me though

Comment

Just had about 5 matches online. I'm not sure if I like this better than FIFA10 in terms of gameplay. I mean the fixes i.e. goalie rushes are much appreciated, but I've come away with mixed feelings. I can't quite put my finger on it. It might be because I've only played online matches so far (I prefer playing humans!).

One thing I noticed is some simple passes cocking up. Not sure if it is some kind of realistic thing where pass accuracy is worked out with some randomizer or whatever, but I'm noticing it a lot more than in any past FIFA.

Presentation is nice. Much improved heads. Oh but I am now fed up with the cutscenes. they are getting switched off. They're nice, but they show you them every time play stops.

Will play more later.

Anyone with PS3 version please add me for some friendly games. PSN: hoolak

Comment

Forgot about the penalty system, I like it. They also seem to have sorted out the problem with loads of free kicks being given for shoulder charges or easing players off the ball as they call it these days.

I'm on the 360 version and my gamertag is "ascender" if anyone wants some games.

I think task 1 will be to qualify with the might Scots....

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post

Presentation is nice. Much improved heads. Oh but I am now fed up with the cutscenes. they are getting switched off. They're nice, but they show you them every time play stops.

Will play more later.

Anyone with PS3 version please add me for some friendly games. PSN: hoolak
          Thanks for the impressions sounds good people.

Not sure whether I`m gonna purchase this or not. Played the demo though and it was fun, but yes the cut scenes drove me insane!! Glad you can switch them off. I don`t want to see manager del Bosques face for Spain every five minutes thank you.

Comment

I've already won the world cup with England, love this game. Best thing so far for me is that you get in game updates on the score of the other game being played in your group. Plus most of the player faces are way better than Fifa 10.

Comment

The regular 'A' button button passes definitely get picked off a lot easier if the distance seems to be more than 10 - 15 metres. Also, the accuracy (or lack of) is more pronounced. There's quite a few times where passes go behind players runs and whatnot. Also I need to test this more with the premier passers of the game Vs the intermediate/ poorer passes to defnitely make my mind up as to whether it's a design choice or not, but definitely makes things more interesting.

Definitely not a node to node passing scheme this year.

I've always had 'semi' pass assistance and have never had this many interceptions in previous FIFA's and even the last Euro 08 title. I guess in some ways it's good as it really makes you aim the direction to precisely where you want.

Comment

I love it.
                Been using Japan only and even though they are rated at 3.5 stars I can move the ball about better than any team in Fifa 10. The ball movement, passing, crossing etc is so sharp I always feel in control of what I am doing.

One odd thing I noticed was Daisuke Matsui changing his boots 5 times throughout the evening....

Comment

I love how during the World Cup mode other results come through whilst your in a middle of a game. Adds to the drama. Neat touch.

Comment

its a nice package, feels weird playing as you know its a bit different from FIFA 10 but you aren't always sure as to why

as an aside HMV gave me a free copy of the Official World Cup Guide (sells for £9) with mine this morning.

Comment

I'm not feeling the gameplay on this. It's end to end all too quickly. Just played me mate and went 5-0 up in first half. Ended 7-2. Then he went on to batter me for the rest of the games. Maybe that's why I'm not feeling it Much prefer FIFA10 at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by jimtendo View Post
                        The regular 'A' button button passes definitely get picked off a lot easier if the distance seems to be more than 10 - 15 metres. Also, the accuracy (or lack of) is more pronounced. There's quite a few times where passes go behind players runs and whatnot. Also I need to test this more with the premier passers of the game Vs the intermediate/ poorer passes to defnitely make my mind up as to whether it's a design choice or not, but definitely makes things more interesting.

Definitely not a node to node passing scheme this year.

I've always had 'semi' pass assistance and have never had this many interceptions in previous FIFA's and even the last Euro 08 title. I guess in some ways it's good as it really makes you aim the direction to precisely where you want.
                        Would agree with all of this.

Personally speaking I think it's an improvement in every way on FIFA 10.

FIFA 11 is going to be incredible.

Comment

Another nice touch was when sliding in for a loose ball. In 10, you'd usually clatter the opposition or just knock the ball out of play but this time, the opponent also slides in for the ball. A really small thing, but another little step towards mimicking the flow of a real match.

Comment

Is it my imagination or does the rain dramatically change how the ball moves? I mean, it should...but it actually does in this! At least I think it does.

Comment

It does in FIFA10 too. Goalies tend to slip up more too. Nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X