3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3)

Been grabbing and hour or two of this since Wednesday so thought I'd leave some early impressions, basic plot is your the decendant of a hero who saved the Kingdom of Dotnia in the past by sealing away the Dark King Onyx with 6 orbs, in true RPG fashion evil has returned in the form of Dark Bishop Fuelle who has stolen the orbs one of which Dark King Onyx is sealed inside, so it's up to you to retreive them and save the world.

The plot is pretty lightweight in keeping with a lot of 8-bit games of the time but it makes a welcome change as you can just jump into the game even if you haven't played it for a few days, something which usually ends in you trying to remember where you left off in the story for a lot of RPGs, it also has a save anywhere feature so it's perfect for just playing in short bursts if you want.

Gameplay is basically make your way to the 6 temples to retrieve the stolen orbs, work your way round the dungeons solving various puzzles using things like bombs, boomerangs to hit switches etc, find the boss key, then onto the boss battle as well as throwing in some side quests from NPCs for good measure, it's just like TLoZ which it's obviously taken it's inspiration from.

Theres some mini games I've found so far including a

Breakout Clone

, the ability to upgrade your sword in length and width which allows you to hit more enemies from a greater distance, theres also a load of extra sword abilities, e.g firing projectiles, theres a load more which i've still to unlock.

I've just completed the 3rd dungeon and started the 4th, the first 2 were quite simple but the difficulty has ramped up a little bit for 3 & 4 so that was a nice change as it did seem a bit too easy, just found the

grappling hook

in the
    dungeon as well which allows you to reach otherwise inaccessible areas so the map really begins to open up now.

Graphics style looks great, the chiptune sounds are excellent, there are a few tracks that are dangerously close to the Zelda games bar a few chord changes. The NPC dialogue making reference to other games and how some things were better in the 2D rpg world is both funny and well written, theres also plenty of little sidequests to do and hidden areas and treasure to find so it should keep you busy finding everything, theres also a diary called Bestiary on the pause menu, you need to fufill an optional side quest to start using it but once done you can start cataloging all the enemies you fight, so again this adds another challenge to complete it fully.

Haven't had a chance to try out the editing features yet but had a quick look and theres a template mode which should make creating characters a bit easier, load times are almost instant in game as well if you go for the optional install from the title screen. Overall I'm really enjoying the old school nature of it so far as it makes a welcome change.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWV8zDJ8JSc

This does look pretty cool. PS3 only?

Comment

Originally posted by SkilloChris View Post
      PS3 only?
      Yup.

I want to pick this up but the timing sucks with RDR out this week.

Comment

picked this up on saturday, only played up to the first dungeon, its really good fun and 100% old school.
        i'd recommend it as a nice chillout game.

Comment

Has anyone played it and read the Eurogamer review? I ask because their final few paragraphs are fairly damning, but I'm really interested in the game and I get the feeling if I don't order it soon, it won't be there to order!

Comment

Originally posted by Jebus View Post
            Has anyone played it and read the Eurogamer review? I ask because their final few paragraphs are fairly damning, but I'm really interested in the game and I get the feeling if I don't order it soon, it won't be there to order!
            I've read it but most of it just seems to be bitching about it not being as good as Zelda, maybe not to some but I've found it very enjoyable so far, also the comments about back tracking and the quick sand, can't say I've had any issues with, one of the villagers even tells you to follow the cactus plants to find your way out of the quick sand maze. I'm sure the game will divide opinion though, you'll either love it or hate it.

I'd agree with the original review of the Japanese version where they mentioned you probably wouldn't want to play it longer than 1hr periods, it's the perfect game to play inbetween other stuff though.

Comment

That was my thought though, it seems like they are moaning that it's too much like Zelda without being an official Zelda...which is just a nonsense to me!

Darksiders was pure Zelda, and I absolutely loved that, so if this is that same kind of homage but to the 2D Zelda's, I can't see how I wouldn't love that too!

Comment

That was my thought though, it seems like they are moaning that it's too much like Zelda without being an official Zelda...which is just a nonsense to me!

Darksiders was pure Zelda, and I absolutely loved that, so if this is that same kind of homage but to the 2D Zelda's, I can't see how I wouldn't love that too!
                Yeah if you like the 2D Zelda's, more so NES The Legend of Zelda then you should enjoy this, as long as you don't mind playing something which is essentially an 8-bit game in it's execution, it doesn't really take from that era and add to it so that may put some people off, might even seem quite boring to those used to modern RPG's.

If you don't mind the above then you should enjoy it for what it is. It does have a sense of humour as well, some of the characters are very funny, especially the one who has "Money Problems".

Comment

It's so much like Zelda 3 it's untrue. I took it over to my Mom's place and the first thing she said was "This is exactly like when we played through Zelda 3 when you were 13".
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharfetchd View Post
                    ...as long as you don't mind playing something which is essentially an 8-bit game in it's execution, it doesn't really take from that era and add to it so that may put some people off
                    Can you elaborate on this comment please, especially the bit I've emboldened?

Comment

Can you elaborate on this comment please, especially the bit I've emboldened?
                      Basically I just mean it does a really good job of mimicking the limitations of an 8-bit console i.e never more than 4 enemies on screen at once, the way an outside area is split into 1 screen each, you move to the edge of it and it scrolls across, you also can't see the enemies until it's done that either, dungeons are exactly the same and are quite basic compared to the ones seen in LTTP, not that they don't offer a challenge mind.

It also seems to copy the idea of limited space in carts due the costs at the time, in game text seems a lot shorter and it just gets to the point in regards to the story rather than padding it out.

Comment

Thanks, I've just ordered it!

Any idea as to the games length so far?

Comment

Thanks, I've just ordered it!

Any idea as to the games length so far?
                          I've just got the 5hr of game time Trophy and I'm up to the 4th Dungeon, stuck on the boss atm, I've read that it's around 20hrs ish for the main game, I don't think that included doing all the sidequests though.

Comment

It does have real charm I think.

Managed to squeeze in 30 mins last night and the music (as I think was mentioned in one of the reviews - maybe GamesTM) is sublime.

Yes it is achingly close to Zelda: LttP but it is just pulled off so well, it is clear that the designers have a love for their subject matter.

Oddly I don't find the text to be too short or jarring, I'm also plodding through Final Fantasy on the iPhone and that feels far more '8 bit' than 3D dot game heores.

One question though,

who would like to see the whole game redrawn in the 2D style from the intro - that looked beautiful!

Comment

I'm finding it so hard to resist this! I really hope it isn't hard to get hold of down the line.

Comment

Working...
                              X