Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands [360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands [360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP]

To put it quite simply, it's an updated version of Sands of Time and, for most, that will be great news.

It starts off pretty slow (first 30 mins or so), but after that it just gets better and better. The platforming and puzzles are just a joy to experience, really well implemented. Like I said, the game pretty much follows the blueprint Sands of Time left behind but with some new additions. For instance, both aspects now also take into consideration elements such as water. I don't want to spoil things for some people so I won't say exactly how they are blended into the platforming and puzzles, but needless to say they are well though out and, more importantly, highly enjoyable.

The combat, whilst not spectacular, is also pretty good too. I mean I wouldn't go into the game expecting something on par with God of War III or Bayonetta. It's quite simplistic compared to those games, but still manages to be fun. I'm repeating myself here, but the basic combat is not too dissimilar to Sands of Time. You have your normal attacks, aerial attacks and so on, but Ubisoft have also introduced a system which allows you to "purchase" (you don't actually go to a shop and buy them) and upgrade certain elemental based abilities. I have already got all the level one abilities and whilst they all have their uses, during my four hours of play I have only found one of them to be truly useful. Not a huge complaint, but something I thought I would mention anyway. Enemies don't give you a huge amount of trouble, but when attacked by different variations you do have to actually think about what you're doing.

Graphically, the game isn't that great. Now this is not me saying it is the worst looking game ever (not by a long shot), but I certainly expected it to look alot better. When you come off the back of games like God of War III, it is quite underwhelming. It has a weird sort of look, half realistic and half cartoon-like, if that makes any sense. I actually think the recent reboot looks better, a far superior art style. For the most part it runs quite smoothly, but when a high number enemies barrage the screen there is some noticeable slowdown. I wasn't too bothered by it, but I guess it could hinder some peoples enjoyment.

Overall (so far), I have found Forgotten Sands to be a real joy to play. It's not perfect, but Prince of Persia fans should absolutely love it. I had to force myself to stop playing it actually as I have work tomorrow, that can only be a good sign right?!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Does the Arena come with all copies of the game? Or only the special edition. Waiting on ShopTo to ship my copy at the moment.

Comment

There is a challenges option in the menu if I remember correctly. I will have a quick look when I get home tonight and let you know.

Ah, I forgot to mention that you can rewind time, but surely you guys knew that.

Comment

Which version?

Comment

360. Can't wait for this, it bridges the gap between Sands of Time and The Warrior Within.

Comment

Thats my only probabaly with this game, I dont want to see a story set between sands of time and Warrior Within, I dont need to know why he went Emo...

Still looks fun though so will probabaly get it at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
              Does the Arena come with all copies of the game? Or only the special edition. Waiting on ShopTo to ship my copy at the moment.
              I don't see an option for arena in the menu but, as I mentioned earlier, there is a challenge mode. This mode includes two game types call enemy tides (which you unlock by finishing the game) and time trial (unlocked through UPLAY).

Oh and you can also unlock an Ezio character skin via UPLAY.
              Last edited by ezee ryder; 18-05-2010, 16:36.

Comment

Eurogamer just gave this a 6/10 Whereas IGNUK gave it an 8.0. Quite looking forward to it, i like the Prince from Sands of Time. Still haven't finished Two Thrones, stupid pc version had a game breaking bug near the end.

Comment

The GB Quick look actually makes it look like quite a bit of fun!

Comment

Just finished it and I would agree with the 8/10 IGN UK gave it. Read the Eurogamer review and I disagree with most of the stuff they said.

It's a really good game, especially if you're a fan of the Prince of Persia games. It has some flaws (see the opening post), but they are not enough to ruin what is a highly enjoyable gameplay experience.

The combination of platforming and puzzle solving (slightly more of the former) is fantastic. The feeling when you nail a tricky looking section is just great and, trust me, there are quite a few of them! Pretty much all of them are fair though, you never really feel "cheated" which a testament to how well designed the game is.

If you liked Sands of Time (or Warrior Within and Two Thrones for that matter) then there is absolutely no reason you won't enjoy The Forgotten Sands.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, I'm massive prince fan, and I've loved every second of this. Finished it this morning on normal difficulty, my only real complaint is it wasn't long enough for me , so I'll happily play through it again. Got a bit of a God of War vibe with some of the music later on, especially when...

you use the birds to jump over gaps

, which just felt a bit cheesey, as did the

noises the sword makes after you power it up with the djinn

I've just got the PSP version so I'm looking forward to giving that a go, unless I'm mistaken it's set after this game, but before warrior within, hopefully that will fill a few more gaps in the story.

Comment

My FHM offer copy arrived today (BARGAIN!) and I'm really enjoying it, real oldschool POP action here. Looks lovely so far, although Princey's face really does look aeful and some of the charater animation looks straight from SOT.

It's nice that they have gone back and made what is essentially a fan service though.

ARE THESE THE POWERS OF THE GIN?
                        Last edited by EvilBoris; 22-05-2010, 20:22.

Comment

Well, it sure likes handing out achievement points doesn't it!

Not enjoying it much, really. Enough to continue, but, well, I'm a huge fan of the last PoP game. Here, the combat has seen a massive downgrade, there doesn't appear to be anything to it other than X, X, X, etc. And the platforming is far more rigid, it was just so fluid before. The world isn't nearly as awesome looking either, but maybe that'll open up later.

Comment

The combat to me feels really clunky, its like a huge step back from PoP 08. Its just so slow and poorly animated. I'm just not feeling the game either and i'm a fan of the old trilogy myself, just doesn't seem to be interesting.

Comment

I think my game is glitched I always have 0 upgrade points

Comment

Working...
                              X