No announcement yet.

Metroid: Other M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving it. It's still got that "I'll just play to the next save point" addictitiveness that I had with the original Prime. One checkpoint becomes three which becomes five. What that, it's 4am! Whoops!!

I still have problems with the jumping on the heads overcharge attack thing and Samus' voice doesn't sit well with me but apart from that it's all good!

Comment

Originally posted by hoolak View Post
      Any reason why, Rushy. Would be interested to hear your views in a bit more detail. You've give it a 5/10 already after just 4 hours of play. It took me an hour just to get to do the start with a little exploration
      5/10 is how I'm currently feeling about the game, you can change your vote right? Hopefully it'll improve but I am half way through already (most say its about 8hrs-10hrs to complete if you're not trying to get 100%).

Any as to my reasons. When I first started to play it I was enjoying it, not wowed by it, but it was fun if you ignore the lengthy and dull cut-scenes. But last night after a few more hours of play, numerous aspects of the game just really started to grate on me. Switching back and forth between 3rd person and 1st person is annoying, primarily due to the frequency of which you have to do it during combat. I encountered a number of sections last night where you are forced to walk at a snails pace down lengthy corridors, which I presume are to build atmosphere but they're utterly pointless and again annoying because they go on for way too long. And I seem to be doing very little other than going from room to room fighting lots of enemies, where is the exploration? This doesn't feel like a Metroid title to me, it's far too action orientated (it feels like 80% of the game is fighting), it hasn't got the atmosphere and the music is flat out disappointing. Plus I've been rather let down by the visuals, both technically and stylistically.

Prime was and is much better as an attempt to do something different and unique with the franchise.

Comment

Just finished this - 9 hours overall.

First hour in I was like ?It?s good, but it?s not Metroid?, yet I couldn?t put it down. I saw the Jungle, Lava and Snows areas, which were all totally forgettable; yet I had to see what was through the next door.
        It?s really difficult to explain, some of it just doesn?t seem right? but I have to say I was totally hooked!
        One thing I can say is that they have captured the sense of the 2d Metroid (super specifically) superbly! The way Samus moves through the environment, it feels very 2.5d, Samus is quick and once you get the

speed boost

you?re thinking ?yea yea!? You don?t have to move her in a 3d way through curved corridors, she just sticks on the line so the up/down/left/right controls work really well.
        One thing that is different is that you never really tread old ground, you?re always moving forward, which is weird for a Metroid - it?s not bad; it?s just different. It does make it feel like the level design isn?t as integrated as well tho, so you don?t really feel like you?re exploring, you?re just moving through. This is strengthened by the fact that you can?t use something until you get to the area that requires it, at which point you?re told ?you can use xxx now?
        Samus is nimble and the action is fast paced - definitely feels like a light weight Ninja Gaiden, which I have to say I really enjoyed

It never reached the dizzy heights of Prime for me but it?s definitely a good game and is a nice and slightly different take on the series. Well worth trying

Comment

Originally posted by Rushy View Post
          5/10 is how I'm currently feeling about the game, you can change your vote right? Hopefully it'll improve but I am half way through already (most say its about 8hrs-10hrs to complete if you're not trying to get 100&#37.

Any as to my reasons. When I first started to play it I was enjoying it, not wowed by it, but it was fun if you ignore the lengthy and dull cut-scenes. But last night after a few more hours of play, numerous aspects of the game just really started to grate on me. Switching back and forth between 3rd person and 1st person is annoying, primarily due to the frequency of which you have to do it during combat. I encountered a number of sections last night where you are forced to walk at a snails pace down lengthy corridors, which I presume are to build atmosphere but they're utterly pointless and again annoying because they go on for way too long. And I seem to be doing very little other than going from room to room fighting lots of enemies, where is the exploration? This doesn't feel like a Metroid title to me, it's far too action orientated (it feels like 80% of the game is fighting), it hasn't got the atmosphere and the music is flat out disappointing. Plus I've been rather let down by the visuals, both technically and stylistically.

Prime was and is much better as an attempt to do something different and unique with the franchise.
          I dont think you can change your vote, I havent noticed if you can.

Also arent all metroid games about 80 percent action?. To be hoinest the primegames always felt alot like FPS games to me, just, quite obviously, less linear ones than we are use too.

I am actualy yet to play this, will be picking it up later today and post here again, but the old school metroid games were pretty much 80 percent action as well, enemeies respawned everytime you enterted a room which means you were almost constantly fiing your gun, you even fire your gun or plant bombs to open doors and work out the majority of puzzles (so to that end you could say they were virtually 100 percent action game really).
          Last edited by rmoxon; 03-09-2010, 10:07.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
            Also arent all metroid games about 80 percent action?. To be hoinest the primegames always felt alot like FPS games to me, just, quite obviously, less linear ones than we are use too.

I am actualy yet to play this, will be picking it up later today and post here again, but the old school metroid games were pretty much 80 percent action as well, enemeies respawned everytime you enterted a room which means you were almost constantly fiing your gun, you even fire your gun or plant bombs to open doors and work out the majority of puzzles (so to that end you could say they were virtually 100 percent action game really).
            Don't get hung up on percentages it was just a ball park figure, the important thing is I think the balance is wrong for what I want of a Metroid game. I've played every Metroid game ever made, and I'm finding that the combat takes up the majority of the play time (definitely more so than prime) and its to the games detriment.

Comment

Players few hours of this so far and it's good.

I don't really get the comments regarding lack of exploration, it's still in there but the game just gives you slightly more clues about what to do next than in any other metroid game (so far at least). It's alot like a 3d version of Fusion as not only is it set ship but you pretty much always no where to go next which is something that can't always be said about many other games in the series.

So far I don't think it's any more action focus than other metroid games, I was expecting it to be constant shooting from what I had read and this isn't true at all. It does seem a bit lacking in the challenge department however, auto doge seems to make it increabley easy to survive most attacks but maybe it will get harder as the game goes on.

Overall I really like it and think it does very much play like a metroid game despite what a few others have said.
              Last edited by rmoxon; 04-09-2010, 13:02.

Comment

Really liking it too. I've just beaten some

wooden giraffe-type

beast. In the same room, there's an Energy Tank I can see along with some platforms I can trigger, but I'm still none of the wiser in getting to it. Will plough on in hope there's another way to it.

I'm starting to get used to the control system. Some of the special techniques are very Team Ninja and I am warming to their design.

I'm happy that there's no in-depth scanning involved, as I personally found it a bit of a chore.

I've become stuck a couple of times so far. Going back to rooms I've uncovered seeing if I've missed something. That's Metroid and it's exploration. Turned out I missed a Morph bomb crack on a fake wall.

Is there a game completion percentage reading anywhere?

Also, I feel a bit let down by the lack of music. Would of loved more signature tunage. Magmoor Caverns music still rings through my head these days

Comment

I think I'm getting close to the end of this. Still finding it great but there are a few niggles that stop it from being up there with the Primes. The need to swap in and out of 1st person during bossfights which allows the boss to get a cheap hit while you try and get a lock on grates after the 5th retry.

I too am missing the music from previous games. It's nice that the save jingle is still there but there's so many other great pieces of music from past Metroid's they could have put in there.

This game, more than any other has a massive vibe of

Aliens about it. The fight with the powerloader, the genetic engineering of a new breed of Metroid's. Very similar!

Comment

I wanted to write some impressions yesterday but no internet.

The first hour or so felt absolutely out of place, I was constantly switching between third and first person to scan the environment to search logs and alternate paths. Not able to fall down from high platforms was and is still strange, like the myriad of invisible walls to block your jumps when they are higher that the rails blocking the passageways. After the freedom of movement the Prime games granted is was very strange finding myself constrained in what essentially is a 2D level layout with a 3D point of view.

Technically the game is sound, but stylistically is very bland: the exquisite architectures and inspiring views that Retro got players used to are gone.
                    Musical background is...absent? Aside for a few moments I can't really recall any tune from the game, while music always had a strong presence in all Metroid games.

Still not fully convinced by the controls. Auto aiming works 50% of the time and when there are a lot of enemies on the screen, forcing you not to use first person mode or missiles (!), I've often found myself running around aimlessy to get aligned to an enemy I though I was but the auto aiming didn't. This opens an other issue, 3D movement on what should be a 2D environment: without a hint of shadows it's hard to judge depth.
                    Some enemy placements are weird, too: when in morph ball mode the camera zooms in on Samus without a decent overview of the surroundings, which translates in crashing on an unseen enemy.

I'm somewhat disappointed by the game, it's an experiment that could have used a bit more thought to pull off a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                      I wanted to write some impressions yesterday but no internet.

The first hour or so felt absolutely out of place, I was constantly switching between third and first person to scan the environment to search logs and alternate paths. Not able to fall down from high platforms was and is still strange, like the myriad of invisible walls to block your jumps when they are higher that the rails blocking the passageways. After the freedom of movement the Prime games granted is was very strange finding myself constrained in what essentially is a 2D level layout with a 3D point of view.

Technically the game is sound, but stylistically is very bland: the exquisite architectures and inspiring views that Retro got players used to are gone.
                      Musical background is...absent? Aside for a few moments I can't really recall any tune from the game, while music always had a strong presence in all Metroid games.

Still not fully convinced by the controls. Auto aiming works 50% of the time and when there are a lot of enemies on the screen, forcing you not to use first person mode or missiles (!), I've often found myself running around aimlessy to get aligned to an enemy I though I was but the auto aiming didn't. This opens an other issue, 3D movement on what should be a 2D environment: without a hint of shadows it's hard to judge depth.
                      Some enemy placements are weird, too: when in morph ball mode the camera zooms in on Samus without a decent overview of the surroundings, which translates in crashing on an unseen enemy.

I'm somewhat disappointed by the game, it's an experiment that could have used a bit more thought to pull off a great game.
                      You can fall down from high platforms and live, unless thats not what you mean?, it lets me do it anyway.

Personally I thought Prime was an overrated game and I am liking this more but I would agree that the targeting is anoying, particuarly in first person as there is often seemingly no way to change targets and so you end up flailing the remote around and getting hit alot as you attempt actualy target the enemy that you want too

Still enjoying the game alot though.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                        You can fall down from high platforms and live, unless thats not what you mean?, it lets me do it anyway.
                        No, I mean that you can't fall down from platforms distant enough from the floor/other platforms by simply pushing in any direction, you have to jump. In some cases it's a good thing (

for example when dodging the purple shots of the first wooden giraffe-thing you meet

) but in purely platforming segments it's limiting than anything else.

particuarly in first person as there is often seemingly no way to change targets and so you end up flailing the remote around and getting hit alot as you attempt actualy target the enemy that you want too
                        Let go of B, you won't fire missiles and change point of view but you'll be able to manually aim targets within the current frame. I've found that if you're in this situation is better to go back to 3rd person and hammer the fire button after having put some distance between you and the baddies.
                        Stronger enemies can be dealt by jumping on them Mario style until dead.

Comment

It's definitely far better to just zone out and reset your aiming and start again, rather than trying to deselect target and aquire a different target whilst still in first person mode.

One tip (which I didn't find out until reading about it) is that you can still charge your beam at max, then switch to first person to shoot off a max charge beam or

super missile

. Definitely helps when you've only got a small window of opportunity to charge for bosses.

Am going through it on
                          difficulty now, and jeez. Even low level fodder can pretty much zilch your health, as you don't collect

energy tanks/ missile upgrade/ charge accels

. You're left with only

99 health/ 10 rockets

to get through the whole game. If you've not got dodging mastered, you're screwed

Comment

Just finished this. Credits rolling as I type so not sure of exact play time. Think about 8 hours.

The ending did come about quite suddenly.

Just a quick question

who is the Deleter? Unless I missed something it doesn't say.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                              Just finished this. Credits rolling as I type so not sure of exact play time. Think about 8 hours.

The ending did come about quite suddenly.

Just a quick question

who is the Deleter? Unless I missed something it doesn't say.

I don't think the deleters identity is ever revealed, but I think you can work it out by process of elimination. With regard to having finished it - Are you watching the credits for the frirst time...Or the second?

Comment

The general consensus is:

James Pierce.
                                Even though it doesn't get resolved within the confines of the story, there are a few clues for this.
                                Firstly, when going to the BioWeapons facility, you see that the door has been broken into, and the Samus finds James doing something underneath the desk of the main computer. Plus he's acting a little suspicious here. After the fight with the Purple Lizard, the tower destructs.

Secondly, when you're giving chase to the deleter, which then leads to you confronting M.B.
                                After you leave, the Deleter is seen making steps towards M.B. and then a gunshot sounds...
                                Later on, you discover James dead where the 'Deleter' was. So presumeably he went to dispose of M.B. but came up a cropper.

The only other person that could be the Deleter is K.G.
                                But during a cutscene you see the Deleter push another member of Galactic Federation Squad 7 into the lava. And also, if you check the profile on K.G. it mentions that he's 'still missing within the facility'

Comment

Working...
                                X