Metroid: Other M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goemon View Post

I don't think the deleters identity is ever revealed, but I think you can work it out by process of elimination. With regard to having finished it - Are you watching the credits for the frirst time...Or the second?
    Ooh, ya bugger. 1st time.

Extra game FTW!!

EDIT: 8 hours 49 minutes with 41% collection rate.

Properly great game, it felt shorter than the time posted above too. Probably because I was into it so much!!
    Last edited by teddymeow; 06-09-2010, 14:14.

Comment

About two and a half hours in and really enjoying this. Can't find much fault with it apart from the cutscenes. Fair play to Team Ninja ... great Metroid game.

Comment

Finished it in 7:29 with 35% and if I could change my score I'd up it by 1 to 6/10. It certainly improves towards the ends as you unlock some better abilities, but there are still too many quirks and flaws with it that spoil it for me. Shame

Comment

I finished this the other day. It's better than I thought it was in the beginning, it's basically Metroid: Fusion in 3D but a bit gimped though. I really enjoyed it once you got to sector 2 onwards but that first hour or so was boring as hell. I think this is probably one of the worst metroid games, but still really good. It's better than Metroid: Hunters or pinball...but not as good as any of the Primes or the 2D ones. 8/10 from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Synthesthesia View Post
            I finished this the other day. It's better than I thought it was in the beginning, it's basically Metroid: Fusion in 3D but a bit gimped though. I really enjoyed it once you got to sector 2 onwards but that first hour or so was boring as hell. I think this is probably one of the worst metroid games, but still really good. It's better than Metroid: Hunters or pinball...but not as good as any of the Primes or the 2D ones. 8/10 from me.
            You rate this less than Metroid 1 on the NES or Metroid 2 on the Gameboy!? You crazy man!

Comment

Just finished it.
              An enjoyable ride, it starts a bit rough but it becomes progressively smoother, though auto-targeting and depth perception remain a bit problematic in the most fast-paced moments.

In the end, I feel that Other M doesn't really know where to stand, backtracking is less intensive than some other Metroid games (something I appreciate) but exploring for new items feels a bit too easy.

The combat feels lazy, like there were far more enemies planned and those existing should have had more patterns but have been ultimately cut from the game as it would have been too combat-oriented. The result are repetitive battles that can be solved in the same way even against completely different enemies.

Technically the game is sound, loading times are excellent (just stopped before doors twice throughout the entire game, and for a split second) but most locales aren't very interesting. Some enemies just look silly while cinematics look great, but it's hard to get used to a talkative Samus, especially when she goes on and on rambling about things that can be understood by simply looking at the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                You rate this less than Metroid 1 on the NES or Metroid 2 on the Gameboy!? You crazy man!
                Nah, just forgot about them haha. I don't really count metroid 1 as metroid 1 now anyway, it's zero mission to me

So yeah, in order of worst to best (for me):

Pinball, Metroid, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Metroid 2, Metroid: Other M, Metroid: Prime 2, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid: Fusion, Super Metroid and finally Metroid: Zero Mission
                Last edited by Synthesthesia; 09-09-2010, 21:21.

Comment

Super Metroid > Anything else with Metroid in the Title

Comment

well ive officially 100% this game now and obviously completed it. Despite 1 pretty bad section

(the point where you walk around not really doing much and just speaking with the team)

I really enjoyed this game. i've rated it 9/10

Comment

Yeah, there's definitely some pacing issues.
                      Much like

when Lyle is killed, and you have to look for the green blood in the green grass to forward the game!

that took me a while to figure out what I needed to focus on.

Now all you've got to do is Hard mode.
                      Not that you get anything from it though, as you can't save your game after you've completed it. Plus you don't get the opportunity to

search the ship again for Adams keepsake space helmet.

Done and dusted Hard.
                      Only real sticking points for me were:

Ridley and his 1HITKO moves.

The Queen and her Metroids, well, mainly the pesky roids than anything.

Nothing else to do with this now. Unless I want to go for speed runs. But with loads of stuff out in the coming weeks, it's going to get consigned to the pile. To be honest, I wasn't that fussed about Samus' voice. Weird at first, but didn't take too much of an objection to it, unlike many other views I've read about the choice. Overall, it's not a bad game. Just not as spectacular as everyone so wanted it to be.

Comment

Well, about 3 hours in and I really think this is great. Spent the first hour or so wishing it was another Prime game, unsure as to the new direction taken in this latest installment of such a brilliant franchise, but by the time the first boss had been defeated it all seemed to click.

Despite my worries beforehand, the controls fit the game perfectly - especially the decision to rely on the digital pad for movement. Combat would not be as responsive had they gone with analogue control, and it is clear the angular design of many of the rooms on the ship are based upon the strengths/weaknesses of using the d-pad. The story and cutscenes have been fine so far, but then again I'm one of those crazy people who enjoyed the story of Bayonetta!

Hope it continues to impress right to the very end. Despite initially wanting it to be another Prime, I'm really glad that Nintendo have decided to shake things up a bit. Thumbs up so far

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
                        Metroid Prime 2 > Anything else with Metroid in the Title
                        Fixed that for you

Comment

I think the cut scenes are good, they feel like they fit.

I did give this an 8 so deffinitley enjoyed it but I will say that i probabaly think it is the worst game in the series all the same (but then it is a brilliant series of games I suppose)

The exploration is there (despite what some people say) and it is very much a metroid game, but i dont think Team ninja had the right idea with the combat, you never really feel like youre doing much in battles, whenever you have to shoot things its just not that fun.

Having said that Metroid has never been about the combat, so while the mundane action detracts from the experience it never ruins the game.

Comment

Started it last night played it am about 2 hours into it, i really like the feel of it
                            great game
                            love the story

Comment

I must admit this feels very liner for a metroid game. As other have state this game does feel like an inferior version of fusion.

Comment

Finished it last night - about 10 hours on the clock and 52% of items collected. Started slowly but really blossomed, and although it never matched the grandeur of Prime or Echoes, it was at least as good as Corruption and certainly better than Fusion.

Now for 100% completion and then a hard mode run. And as I am in Metroid mode I may well give Super another go as it has never clicked with me (the shame) or run through Echoes for the first time in over 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X