No announcement yet.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See that's my problem - if it was a completely new Sonic game then I'd probably hand over my £10 and deal with the control issues later on but £40 altogether for what could possibly be four episodes totalling the size of one Sonic game then I'm concerned. Now, it may well be the case that the later episodes are larger than this one so you'd actually get quite a lot of game in the end but we don't know that yet. Plus, I imagine once all four are out they'll do a complete collection for less money.

Originally posted by Sane View Post
    But the old Sonic games were full price retail releases, this costs what, 20% of that?
    I considered that already, but this is 2010 and the previous Sonic games were new and different enough from each other to be considered full games in their own rights. If Sonic 2 was basically Sonic 1 with redrawn graphics, £39.99 would be a complete rip-off. Likewise if Sonic 3 were Sonic 2.

What they're doing is digging up stuff from the old Sonic games, rejigging it a bit and passing it off as a complete game, albeit in parts so the overall cost is hidden a bit.

It's the reason HD Remix is only 1200 points and not £39.99. Also, if they did an HD Remix of something monstrous like Third Strike, I doubt that would be more than 1200 points anyway, out of principle.
    Last edited by randombs; 14-10-2010, 12:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane View Post
      But the old Sonic games were full price retail releases, this costs what, 20% of that?
      Aye, but now you can pick up all the old sonic games with another 30 games or so on a disc for ?20.

Comment

Originally posted by billy_dimashq View Post
        See that's my problem - if it was a completely new Sonic game then I'd probably hand over my ?10 and deal with the control issues later on but ?40 altogether for what could possibly be four episodes totalling the size of one Sonic game then I'm concerned. Now, it may well be the case that the later episodes are larger than this one so you'd actually get quite a lot of game in the end but we don't know that yet. Plus, I imagine once all four are out they'll do a complete collection for less money.
        That's my main issue above everything else, I'd begrudgingly put up with the physics if I felt they'd put some effort into the amount of content included, your basically getting an incomplete game for ?10 a pop, also nobody has any idea how many episodes they'll churn out before it's "Complete"

Capcom did something similar with Megaman 9 in regards to bringing a classic game back, but handled it far better.

Comment

Originally posted by Phar View Post
          That's my main issue above everything else, I'd begrudgingly put up with the physics if I felt they'd put some effort into the amount of content included.
          I'm kinda the opposite, I wouldn't mind paying a bit more than what it was really worth, if the gameplay was up to cop.

Comment

Is anyone still around at SEGA to replicate the way Sonic moves like he did 16 years ago? I suppose they still have the original source code to look at though, i don't know much about programming or whatever so i'm just guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
              Is anyone still around at SEGA to replicate the way Sonic moves like he did 16 years ago? I suppose they still have the original source code to look at though, i don't know much about programming or whatever so i'm just guessing.
              No idea tbh, Inti Creates who did Megaman 9 & 10 wrote that game engine from scratch and managed to nail it, so it can't be that hard to try and recreate the feel of something if thats the goal you set out to do.

Comment

When guys on Youtube make renders that recreate the Sonic physics pretty much just by looking at him, I can't see why someone at Sega couldn't do the same thing.

Not to mention, I easily reckon most of us complaining about the physics would be able to do it simply by flicking through a few demo clips and saying "yep, yep, nope, HELL NO!", which they could then use to narrow it down quite well.

Judging by the amount of difficulty we have getting used to the physics, his movements are clearly ingrained in our very muscles, and we're not even rose-tinting it.

Comment

well I gave this a 10, in my opinion it perfectly replicates the old-skool sonics with new-ish levels - really enjoying it!

Comment

just gave the 360 demo a go and found it disappointingly weak. graphics are nowhere near HD standard, Sonic is far too slow and the screen window is too small, showing basically nothing of what lies ahead. i will check out my Xbox Sonic collection before investing in a lazy and overpriced episodic update.

Comment

This thread is getting ridiculous.

I can only imagine that the iPhone version is alot better than the 360 version considering some of the comments on here as they make no sense to me.

People are still going on about sonic not moving right though and its getting silly. For example I'm pretty sure the original sonic had no frames of animation in between his standing position to his spinning position while he was in the air, becuase people are complaining that this is too slow or whatever becuase sonic has more frames of animation.

The fact is he actualy moves the same, even if he looks slightly different, it feels the same to play.
                      Last edited by rmoxon; 14-10-2010, 15:27.

Comment

Well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and if people are enjoying the game, that's great. But I think those who have a problem with the way Sonic controls have backed up their opinion in some depth, it's a bit unfair to call it ridiculous.

Comment

I didnt see any in depth explinations, where?

Only person whos really gone into detail is Sketcz and he was so melodramtic about the whole thing I found it quite scary. Plus I didnt even really understand what he was saying and then he said somthing about it should be more like a 2D mario game.

Its not Mario, its Sonic, and it plays just like Sonic should.

As I said though, I have only played the iPhone version... maybe the console versions are busted?

Comment

I do find it quite scary sometimes when people really get mad about Sonic's Physics, it sounds insane to me.

I find it quite sad.

Comment

He explained exactly what he feels is wrong with the way Sonic controls, and used Mario's physics as an example to demonstrate why it is a non-trivial issue for some people. Some other people share this opinion. For other people, this is less of an issue, and enjoy it regardless. This is fine too.

This all seems very reasonable, I don't quite see why things are getting heated.

Comment

I see this all the time as a reviewer, to be honest I think more people agree rather than disagree with each other in this thread, the differences are more to do with what you'll tolerate.

So basically, those of us who don't like the physics are irritated because it only sort-of looks, rather than feels like a genuine Sonic game. I thought the entire *point* of the whole "Project Needlemouse" thing was to make a game that was essentially a modern update of the originals.

And those who do enjoy the game (the "some people will complain about anything" group - if I had a penny for every time I read that phrase) generally had lower/more realistic expectations to begin with. As well as some people who don't see any issues at all.

It's about him not having any sense of momentum.
                                ^ This.

Originally posted by rmoxon
                                The fact is he actualy moves the same, even if he looks slightly different, it feels the same to play.
                                Totally disagree.

Comment

Working...
                                X