No announcement yet.

Call of Duty: Black Ops [X360/PS3/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't wanna start a new thread and with this being a huge FPS game I thought I would ask. When playing Black on PS2 recently, I noticed that you can pull an ammo clip out of a gun at any time, but when you pop in a new clip of say 60 bullets it doesn't take the full amount away from the ammo left over unless the removed clip is completely empty.

A strange thing to point I know but do more modern shooters do this? If not would be cool as you would really have to manage your ammo.

Comment

I haven't played this, but I'll be amazed if it does. I'm not sure I've ever played an FPS that does that, which is handy because I'm terrible for reloading after every shot where possible (usually getting myself into trouble in the process).

Comment

I think only realistic shooters like Operation Flashpoint and the like do that (although that specific game might not even do it, I cant remember).

Call of Duty games generaly arent very realistic, especialy the most recent ones with their crazy set peices and gung ho over the top theatrics from the cast of two dimentional characters.

Im pretty bad for reloading too though, so I'm not complaining really.

Comment

in respect to co-op modes:

Originally posted by www.co-optimus.com
          As if you didn't know, Call of Duty: Black Ops is on store shelves today. With it comes a single player campaign set during the Cold War, a deep online versus mode, and two co-op modes: Zombies and Combat Training.

Zombies should be familiar to those of you that played the same mode in Call of Duty: World at War. We were big fans of this survival style of gameplay for four players - it not only required quick reflexes as the waves of zombies got harder, but also strategic decision making by the group.

Combat Training is a new mode and it's basically the online versus mode against bots. It will have it's own progression system separate from the online mode, but will use the exact same maps and options of play. Players can team up in split screen and/or online for up to six players against the AI.

There's a third and final co-op mode, one that's a bit hidden, and one we've been covering over and over - Dead Ops. First rumored during the achievement reveals - Dead Ops is a top down shooter mode for up to four players.
          i am really puzzled though, as i thought the Zombie co-op mode was exclusive bonus of the Hardened edition and not included in the standard version.

Comment

No there is a zombie mode for all, but with the hardened edition you get a code to add the four W@W zombie maps to it.

Comment

Well nearly 24 hours in and to be honest, I preferred Modern Warfare 2. In saying that, the last time I played it was in March, as I got fed up with it. I was Call of Duty'd out and was not originally going to pick this up. But hey, hype gets the better of me on this ocassion.

Let me start with the single player. It's commendable that it tries to convey the story (albeit confusingly) via the intermittant

interrogation room/ trendy flash screen

segments, instead of the Modern Warfare "let's try and convey the storyline via menu screens" instead. Which confuses you as to where you are in the plot.
              Nevertheless, by the time I got to the 4th or 5th stage I stopped being interested, and just trudged through the campaign to completion. Which was quite the opposite of Modern Warfare/ Modern Warfare 2 in which it kept my attention span a little longer, and I actually did enjoy those offerings.

Also there were quite a few stages

mainly the cinematic style

ones, where it makes you walk at a snails pace doing sweet F.A. which is not particulary fun.

Now onto the multiplayer... "dun, dun, durrr..."

SMG's
              That's all it is. From being practically useless in Modern Warfare 2 (bar the UMP 45 which is godly) these are pretty much defacto at beating (for the time being lowly accessed) Assault rifles, and anything else.

I'll salute Treyarch in getting rid of the clusterf*** that was the killstreak mess in Modern Warfare 2, where you had x8 simultaneous Harriers and x5 choppers in the air making a mess of everything. Not to mention (at the time) dual weilding sniping shotguns. Although now it's dual wielding G18's that currently blight...
              And also getting rid of perk combos such as Marathon + Lightweight + stabby stabby 10ft lunge.

In contrast, the multiplayer is largely dialled back alot. Until that is when people will find exploits within Black Ops.

Also hit detection for me feels a little off. Either that or it's the 'L' word.
              As mentioned before, spawns need to be fixed.

And one small point about the "COD points"
              As I haven't been checking out various vids for this, I'm pretty sure the devs mentioned with this new system the player could buy what they want, when they want providing they have the cash. Well not strictly true, as you still have to be a certain level before a gun unlocks/ emblem unlocks etc. And even then they have the cheek and temerity to ask for some COD points for it.

Comment

The Vet campaign has its frustrating moments and Treyarch have gone back to infinite respawning enemies, but at least the grenade spamming isn't back from WaW.

Once I've completed the campaign and cleaned up its Achievements, this will be traded it as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                  I haven't played this, but I'll be amazed if it does. I'm not sure I've ever played an FPS that does that, which is handy because I'm terrible for reloading after every shot where possible (usually getting myself into trouble in the process).
                  i know it is off topic but rainbow six had clip specific ammo. reload before it was empty and you risk getting them later on when you jam in a clip and find it has two rounds in it.... i loved it. i want another tense fps bring black black arrow.

Comment

I'm not feeling this to be honest, its certainly the most spectacular Call of Duty game to date, but its still failing to get me very excited, despite a more focused narrative it feels completely souless with all its LSD induced crazy vision filled cut scenes and the gameplay itself just dosent feel as tight as the we expect from the series.

I'll no doubt complete it, but its a bit of a disapointment really, World at War was better.
                    Last edited by rmoxon; 10-11-2010, 08:38.

Comment

This is how cheap Vet is: an enemy just stormed a room past my two AI friendlies, who were shooting him, and even though he was running straight ahead with his weapon pointing at the floor, he was able to instantly kill me when I was at a 90 degree angle to the left of his position. He hadn't even drawn his weapon. Shazam!

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                        can someone confirm the sound has been improved and that it's now possible to earn XP (or currency) and level up while playing offline or in bot-mode, respectively?
                        The sound is crap. The directional element of COD seems to have been replaced with hidef 'noise'. The annoying use of the drum machine someone got for Xmas is getting on my pip too.

Comment

I've been stuck on the same tunnel for over an hour now, thanks to infinite spawning enemies and cheap shots. Hurry up 11am, so I've got new Reach Daily Challenges to do.

Comment

Expanding on that - I use surround headphones. On MW2 you could pick out fine directional sound and avoid being hit from behind most of the time. In BO not only is the sound poorly implemented on a directional front but the range of sound seems to have been cut down so you can only hear someone when they are practically on top of you. Given the openess of the maps this is a disaster.

Only played MP last night, most games are just run and gun fests. Not sure about the perks yet, again they seem to have been wound back making having them a bit pointless. Maybe I'll see a difference with more gameplay and/or unlocking the pro elements.

The game seems 'floaty', the movement doesn't seem as solid as MW2, the hit detection varies a huge amount, maybe just lag but it just doesn't 'feel' right at the moment.

Only first evening of play but so far on a personal scale this is scoreing well below a 5.

Comment

There are different sound setting for tv, surround and headphones in the options - have you tried them all?

Comment

I'm quite enjoying this , the campaigns are really good. I'm about half way through on vet, mission 9 I think , there are definatley some cheap tricks which the enemy A.I will do , but it is veteran.

I've been stuck numerous times in corridors where I think the enemy will never stop and all I was doing was waiting and killing, but nothing was happening , I found that you have to push forward by shooting and hiding so that your gaining ground , that way your teammates will push up further then you, and the A.I enemies seem to stop then and give you a chance. It doesn't seem like this game will let you stand around and hide. really good game thou

Originally posted by MJ View Post
                                I've been stuck on the same tunnel for over an hour now, thanks to infinite spawning enemies and cheap shots. Hurry up 11am, so I've got new Reach Daily Challenges to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X