Call of Duty: Black Ops [X360/PS3/PC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr_sockochris View Post
    There are different sound setting for tv, surround and headphones in the options - have you tried them all?
    Not yet but I did have it set to surround headphones. Looking on Gamefaqs it does seem that the use of headphones/sound has been 'nerfed' (I think that's the expression)

Comment

Ah, if the sound is a bit off that'll explain why I keep getting downed so much.

Yeah, it's definitely that.

Comment

Originally posted by GarageNation View Post
        I found that you have to push forward by shooting and hiding so that your gaining ground , that way your teammates will push up further then you, and the A.I enemies seem to stop then and give you a chance. It doesn't seem like this game will let you stand around and hide. really good game thou
        I found that with the first MW game. I was stuck for ages waiting for a gap after waves of enemies so in the end I just charged forward and it activated the next scripted scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
          Not yet but I did have it set to surround headphones. Looking on Gamefaqs it does seem that the use of headphones/sound has been 'nerfed' (I think that's the expression)
          I concur.

I'm using the Astro A40's

/plug

And I've swapped between the two settings (TV/ Surround Headphones) For me, the Surround Headphones options gives no depth perception as to the sound - In that it feels almost stereo like, so you can't tell how far things are away from you. Because it seems to jack up the bass levels quite high and drowning out most other noises.

I've left it back on 'TV' for the time being as it keeps everything at a nominal value.

But yep, footstep sounds seem to be not as potent as they were in Modern Warfare 2.
          Makes the 'Ninja' perk seem useless really.

***EDIT***

Vonderhaar tweeted that they messed up the sound on S&D planting defusing sounds and it 'should' be fixed in the next update. No mention of footsteps, or just general rubbish sound though:

Last edited by jimtendo; 10-11-2010, 12:19.

Comment

Glad it's not just me finding the sound a bit `odd`. That said it's the distribution of the sound rather than the effects themselves I'm finding a bit off - all the guns make the right kind of bang bang shooty shooty sounds. Perhaps more so to my ears than other CoD games.

Comment

Originally posted by GarageNation View Post
              I've been stuck numerous times in corridors where I think the enemy will never stop and all I was doing was waiting and killing, but nothing was happening , I found that you have to push forward by shooting and hiding so that your gaining ground , that way your teammates will push up further then you, and the A.I enemies seem to stop then and give you a chance.
              The same formula as previous Vet campaigns. It's just annoying having to repeat the same section loads of times until that one occasion where the enemies magical bullets don't kill you in the same spot giving you the chance to advance and hopefully got that all important "Checkpoint reached" message.

Comment

Loving this so far, got a few hours on it last night. MP > Zombies > DOA > SP and felt like I had only been on it 10mins theres so much to go at. Included content this time I think is good value for money.

I really enjoyd Dead Ops Arcade mode, Im sure I read this was multiplayer in a review but couldnt see anything last night is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
                  The sound is crap. The directional element of COD seems to have been replaced with hidef 'noise'. The annoying use of the drum machine someone got for Xmas is getting on my pip too.
                  i am certainly not expecting Battlefield or Medal of Honour quality here... but can sound be even more crappy than in MW2 and also taking a backstep to WaW?

Comment

I got this today. It seems good, but I was quite surprised by the drop in frame rate between the previous version. I guess it doesn't affect the game play but I'd much prefer slick and smooth action. I think I spoilt myself after playing Crysis.

Comment

Eurogamer PS3 vs. 360 tech comparison. looks like the 360 version is running 15 -20 frames faster than the PS3 version - mostly hitting above 50fps while outputting 1040x608 with 2x MSAA. PS3 resolution is even worse: 960x544. so much about the HD era of gaming...

Comment

I think it generally looks alot worse than MW2. The texture resolution in places is absolutely shocking.

Mixed feelings about it overall anyway. Multiplayer is so much slower than before so I'm not enjoying it. It doesn't feel like MW2 does at all which I don't like. It's as if they are doing it on purpose but everything feels more cumbersome.

The single player is good so far though. Playing on Hardened and only one bit has pissed me off so far with scripted enemies not dying when I repeatedly hit them in the chest with noob tubes!

I'm getting there though, just trying go adjust to the game. I do love One in The Chamber though. Classic game mode.

Comment

After the blur-o-vision that was Halo Reach, this looks pretty cracking to me. Yet again I'm going against popular opinion but I think it looks better than MW2 for the most part. Of course some of that is trickery with the close up scenes of characters which are then lower res when it all kicks off, but still.

I think I'd actually prefer games not to be running in full HD if it avoids them needing to be a blurry mess.

I'm actually enjoying the story behind this one too - it makes the shark jumping plot of the second look even more amateur, and beats the loosely cobbled together plot in W@W. Here, unrestricted by the need to crowbar in locations like The Pacific territories they've been free to come up with their own ideas for settings. The

Vietnam and Kawloon

levels have been a bit of a highlight for me.

Kudos to them for trying something different even if you catch on quite quickly what the
                          is.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
                            I think it generally looks alot worse than MW2. The texture resolution in places is absolutely shocking.

Mixed feelings about it overall anyway. Multiplayer is so much slower than before so I'm not enjoying it. It doesn't feel like MW2 does at all which I don't like. It's as if they are doing it on purpose but everything feels more cumbersome.

The single player is good so far though. Playing on Hardened and only one bit has pissed me off so far with scripted enemies not dying when I repeatedly hit them in the chest with noob tubes!

I'm getting there though, just trying go adjust to the game. I do love One in The Chamber though. Classic game mode.
                            I agree that the MW2 looks slicker. Seems like the 360 version is the way to go.

Comment

I thought the first level was a bit "meh" and I almost gave up. There were a fair few annoying deaths where there's so much going on I couldnt figure out where I was getting shot from.

Playing on for a bit more has won me over a little bit. The

twist has been called already

but I agree it seems more interesting than MW2 and I think it looks better as well. I certainly haven't noticed it running at a lower FPS than MW2.

I'll probably finish the SP and trade it in for NFS.

Comment

Got this on PC today and on my rig with a GTX480 GPU it runs like S***e,laggy as hell with stutter too so WTF is all that about.

Anyone else on PC having same trouble??

Comment

Working...
                                X