Killzone 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killzone 3

What is left to say? You've played both the demos, both SP and MP, so you know what you are in for really.

No suprises that SP is pretty boring to be honest. Space grunts, in space, fighting, and "not wanting to give up" Huuuttt!. Go here, clear the way, get topside, get to this bit etc., its all a bit tired. Its hard to give a toss about the story and characters. Its just one game to many like this IMO and it will only get worse when Gears of War 3 turns up. You'll be sick of it, trust me, its so tired.

The gunplay though, as well as the visuals, is/are fantastic. Guns feel who guns should feel, and when they hit NPC's they behave realistically. I would imagine that if you notched up the difficulty on this it would be pretty good, however I don't think I could handle the banality of the story quest. I gave up very early on KZ2 too, so it doesn't suprise me one bit.

MP appears pretty striped down in comparision to KZ2. Their doesn't appear to be the same amount of options this time and I only counted a total of 6 maps across all of the modes. No doubt DLC is coming very soon.

MP appears to have a better unlock structure, but its "perks", like its peers, seem to be dominating again. Its all turrets, flying guns etc and can get overwhelming and distract from the exceptional gun-action. Oh well.

One thing to note, this is one of the first PS3 games I have bought that is MOVE compatible. Is it REALLY NESSICARY to have those 3 or so unskippable splash screens at the very start of the loading process EVEN IF I DON'T HAVE A MOVE CONTROLLER OR CAMERA-THING? Can't it be "detected" or something, or put them up when you start playing with the move controls in-game. Seriously, we have generally ENOUGH SPLASH SCREENS on everything...
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Originally posted by englishbob
    Its just one game to many like this IMO and it will only get worse when Gears of War 3 turns up. You'll be sick of it, trust me, its so tired.
    Well, no... I wont because the only game of this nature that i have played in the last 15 years has been KZ2. If you are sick of it then the fault lies with you for continually buying the same type of game.

Comment

I'm about 2 hours in and it's mighty good!! Combat is so visceral, looks great, sounds proper meaty and controls really well!

Haven't tried MP yet but am currently doing split screen co-op and it works well despite making each players screen 4:3 which I find a bit weird.

Proper AAA PS3 stuff this!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
        If you are sick of it then the fault lies with you for continually buying the same type of game.
        Of course its me, sorry. Cut and paste here what you want me to think and I'll change the original post to suit.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          Proper AAA PS3 stuff this!!
          KZ2 was proper AAA PS3 stuff too.

I'm eager to hear how this compares to the previous game. I'd also be interested to hear what it's like to play with Move. I'm strongly considering getting the Sharp Shooter attachment for multiplayer, as I can see it giving a clear advantage over DS3 users.
          Last edited by J0e Musashi; 23-02-2011, 21:42.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob View Post
            Of course its me, sorry. Cut and paste here what you want me to think and I'll change the original post to suit.
            but bob,

you complain about every game

maybe you need a different hobby.......

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
              KZ2 was proper AAA PS3 stuff too.
              Oh totally. I meant what with there (for me) being no big Sony exclusive over Xmas (GT & LBP not really my thing) this feels like a truly amazing game potentially up there with the efforts of Naughty Dog and Santa Monica!

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob
                What is left to say? You've played both the demos, both SP and MP, so you know what you are in for really.

No suprises that SP is pretty boring to be honest. Space grunts, in space, fighting, and "not wanting to give up" Huuuttt!. Go here, clear the way, get topside, get to this bit etc., its all a bit tired. Its hard to give a toss about the story and characters. Its just one game to many like this IMO and it will only get worse when Gears of War 3 turns up. You'll be sick of it, trust me, its so tired.

The gunplay though, as well as the visuals, is/are fantastic. Guns feel who guns should feel, and when they hit NPC's they behave realistically. I would imagine that if you notched up the difficulty on this it would be pretty good, however I don't think I could handle the banality of the story quest. I gave up very early on KZ2 too, so it doesn't suprise me one bit.

MP appears pretty striped down in comparision to KZ2. Their doesn't appear to be the same amount of options this time and I only counted a total of 6 maps across all of the modes. No doubt DLC is coming very soon.

MP appears to have a better unlock structure, but its "perks", like its peers, seem to be dominating again. Its all turrets, flying guns etc and can get overwhelming and distract from the exceptional gun-action. Oh well.

One thing to note, this is one of the first PS3 games I have bought that is MOVE compatible. Is it REALLY NESSICARY to have those 3 or so unskippable splash screens at the very start of the loading process EVEN IF I DON'T HAVE A MOVE CONTROLLER OR CAMERA-THING? Can't it be "detected" or something, or put them up when you start playing with the move controls in-game. Seriously, we have generally ENOUGH SPLASH SCREENS on everything...

Im not interested in Multiplayer so Im not really refering to that part of your post but anyway....

I want to play this BECUASE its just like Killzone 2, I think most people who are buying it want it becuase its like Killzone 2 really. If you bought this when you couldnt even get through Killzone 2 you must really like to complain?

Or just like pain?

Or both?
                Last edited by rmoxon; 23-02-2011, 22:22.

Comment

Killzone 3 is as faithful to the franchise as the next CoD will be faithful to that franchise too. Typically Killzone does receive the flak for being unoriginal but thats nothing new. Sony's first game hyperbole and second game fake renders still hurt.

What I played was mind blowing. Its nothing new for sure, but the same goes for the next Halo or Half Life too. Its just that Killzone 3 nails the feeling of shooting enemies to pieces like no other. The sound is ridiculously strong, the visuals are stellar and the weight behind the weapons while not as extreme as KZ2 are noticable and good.

Killzone is kind of different though. Killzone is a 'cover FPS' pretty much. Rushing in hardly ever works, even on Normal. Its like a Gears of War in first person, and with in my opinion far better gameplay. Use the slide! I even kicked some enemies over the edges when my slide collided with them. There really is thought behind this all.

The Move is pretty new for this genre too. Its awesome to play this game with the Move. I was about to dump the thing, but Killzone kept it alive. Lower the Deadzone to 0, disable the assist (doesn't work in MP and on Hard+ anyway) and practice for say half an hour to an hour. Its really intuitive, partly due to the knowledge that you are finally playing a console FPS without any form of aim assists.

The thing I find a missed opportunity is that the Co-Op is offline only and its a missed chance because the Co-Op is actually extremely good, you have to lift each other up to higher places, and keep each other alive as well as reviving. A full online co-op could probably even draw a lot of them haters in.
                  Last edited by saturn-gamer; 23-02-2011, 22:42.

Comment

Ha. Your sarcasm would be appropriate if you had just said "I am sick of it" but you didn't say that, did you. You said WE will be sick of it. Speak for yourself.
                    Last edited by Darwock; 24-02-2011, 03:22.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      but bob,

you complain about every game

maybe you need a different hobby.......
                      Not so, I like Deathsmiles, Battlefield, NFS:HP, ME2, quite a bit.

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                      Im not interested in Multiplayer so Im not really refering to that part of your post but anyway....

I want to play this BECUASE its just like Killzone 2, I think most people who are buying it want it becuase its like Killzone 2 really. If you bought this when you couldnt even get through Killzone 2 you must really like to complain?

Or just like pain?

Or both?
                      Should of made it clear, I am mostly interested in MP for these types of game, most of the main SP parts are pretty stale these days. I haven't played through BF:BC2, COD:BO or KZ2's SP just through the predicability of it all. I give them a try first though.

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
                      Ha. Your sarcasm would be appropriate if you had just said "I am sick of it" but you didn't say that, did you. You said WE will be sick of it. Speak for yourself.
                      OK, I am.
                      Last edited by englishbob; 24-02-2011, 07:46.

Comment

Not so, I like Deathsmiles, Battlefield, NFS:HP, ME2, quite a bit.

Should of made it clear, I am mostly interested in MP for these types of game, most of the main SP parts are pretty stale these days. I haven't played through BF:BC2, COD:BO or KZ2's SP just through the predicability of it all. I give them a try first though.

OK, I am.

i dont belliveeee video games are so bad these days....

you might be better posting here

Comment

Hahah, I might give it a go! Didn't know about that site.

Back OT, I am looking forward tonight playing MP on this, there where a few Euro players on last night. I am just a bit worried that 5 or 6 maps, of which maybe 3 will be better than the others, will mean DLC incoming fairly soon.

Comment

Fair enough, though the fact that some people actualy ignore the main game and only play multiplayer in these things saddens me a bit really.

Ok, the multiplayer probabaly is considered by some to be the main game with Bad Company 2, but the single player in that was actualy really good (alot better than Black Ops, though not anywhere near as good as Killzone 2) and the fact that some people (not just talking about you) choose to almost entierly ignore its existance is just bizzare to me.
                            Last edited by rmoxon; 24-02-2011, 08:51.

Comment

True, I think KZ3 would be a blast though in Co-op, as its SP component appears to be designed that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X