No announcement yet.

Mario Kart Double Dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics, more impressions?? We need mucho details people!

Comment

Just to add to what Geektanic has said, getting into DD is a slow burner.

Its fun from the get go, but doesn't blow you away until you've put a good few hours in, and start fighting with the Star and Special Cups on 150cc.

Sometime around then it hooks you, and you realise what an absolutely stunning game DD is

Comment

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
        Also it seems a lot more frentic/chaotic as in regards to weapon usage trackside obsticles. Sometimes, there are streams of banana skins, massive shells, multiple shells all in your direction.
        Just what I was hoping for. Mario Kart 64 was too "empty" for my liking.

Comment

Sounds very similar to the initial impressions that we got with FZero,

"s'ok I spose"

all the way to

"Hot damn my pants are on fire"

After a day or two I wonder if its gonna kick off?

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
            Just to add to what Geektanic has said, getting into DD is a slow burner.

Its fun from the get go, but doesn't blow you away until you've put a good few hours in, and start fighting with the Star and Special Cups on 150cc.

Sometime around then it hooks you, and you realise what an absolutely stunning game DD is
            Cool, good stuff.

Apologies if this is a really boring question but could you give us a quick rundown of the controls? I'm just wondering how it's layed out

Comment

Most definitely the opponant AI will punish you more than before with shells, bananas... anything.

I've never been hit by a backfiring green shell before (in either MK64/Super Circuit) which was shot from the lead kart in front of me.
              Never have i been disgraced like that

One thing you can't do is hold a green shell/banana skin behind your kart, so to cover your ass if a red/blue shell homes into you.
              If you have either of those after you (and providing you've got a banana/shell) you have to drop it just before it hits you. There's a picture indicator at the bottom of the screen which tells you it's getting close to your proximity, then drop the item. If successful, you live to drive another day.

D-pad = not used.
              Analog Stick = steer. I guess you knew that.
              A = accellerate.
              B = brake.
              L/R = drift, as well as waggling left& right on the analog stick to get the super boost.
              X = deploy weapon, if there's no weapon it doubles as a horn/personal action.
              Z = shift driver/weapon shooter.
              Y = ???

Comment

Analog stick - left/right - steer left/right
                Analog stick - up/down - use item (fire shell) in front or behind you
                X or Y - use item
                Z - swap drivers
                A - accelerate
                B - brake/reverse
                L and R - drift

Dash start
                - press A just as the lights turn green

Mini Turbo
                - drift, turn, counter turn, turn, counter turn (blue sparks), release drift. Speeds you out of corners. I haven't mastered this yet.

think thats it.

Comment

So what's the single player game like? I'm expecting ziltch, so anything more than that is a bonus.

Comment

Also, in some situations when you ram another kart, if you're thrower isn't holding an item he can steal one from the rammed kart.

... and in co-op mode, to switch drivers both players have to hold down Z.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ
                      So what's the single player game like? I'm expecting ziltch, so anything more than that is a bonus.
                      Its really good

The balance of cups/unlockables is nice.

The AI is good, the other kartists get really mean at the higher speeds. They are very good with the items, but not super human as they occasionally were in Super Mario Kart.

Winning the later cups is a real battle. Try playing the Special Cup at 150cc in co-op, and you'll finding the driver-player shouting at the thrower-player constantly in order to attack the other karts. You have to know your items to win...

Comment

What you said about the weapons there sounds great, papercut

007: Don't you think you have quite enough cubes already [/b]

Comment

Important question:

Can more than one player compete in the Championship, or is like F-Zero where you could only have VS games?

Comment

Anybody fancy doing an in depth translation for the Japanese version ?

Comment

Is it out on Fri - well what i mean is have we confirmation that Woolies will sell early. Im so tempted to get a Pal cube just for this (well until my Jap copy arrives)

Another poser i have - in multiplayer can each player choose the same team setup. i.e. could they both have a team with mario + luigi or not ???
                              Or will it play out like super mario kart - toad + Koopa are they same, will two combinations basically be the same ??

Comment

Can't believe the PAL copy doesn't work on a US/JAP Cube with Freeloader.

ft:

Comment

Working...
                                X