Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Zomboid PC/Mac (Zombie Apocalypse Survival RPG Game)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Zomboid PC/Mac (Zombie Apocalypse Survival RPG Game)

Anyone else tried this? Link: http://theindiestone.com/community/v...hp?f=21&t=1893

It's a survival RPG game with zombies, it really reminds me of the walking dead. You have to hole up in your house at the start, find supplies etc, barricade up your house, feed yourself.

I even got

held up by a guy wielding a shotgun that broke through my barrier!

he was trying to

kill his wife, but a trusty hammer swing to the head and he was done

This game is pretty awesome already and it's only an alpha! They've promised to add more content to it ala minecraft for those who buy it. It's ?5.
    Last edited by Synthesthesia; 30-06-2011, 18:36.

I've downloaded it for the Mac. it's a little overwhelming, but good fun. The longest i've last is two days, I barricaded myself in a room and starvation got the better of me . I need to find a list of mac specific controls so I can attack items.

I'll definitely be buying the full game. I've spent many a bored afternoon in work planning on how i'd survive a Zombie Apocalypse

Comment

Hehe. It's a great sign of things to come. It's super early and already it's great IMO. Once they get the quests in, NPCs etc it's going to be really epic. The most I've lasted so far is 4 days 8 hours. I'm quite looking forward to the next update being put up, since that's gonna be the one with random NPCs. I bought it on this alpha alone- who knows when they'll stop offering the free updates for life.

And you mean like how to use a weapon? If so, say you have the hammer in slot 1, hold Z and left mouse click while aiming in the direction you want to hit. They say CTRL works, but it doesn't on Mac it must be a glitch he just stands there when you click looking like he's gonna swing.

Comment

Mega thread resurrection from the dead (like a zombie). Would you believe they're still actively working on this game? I started seeing videos of it in its current state a few weeks ago and it looked really interesting. Basically it's like a rougelike version of The Sims with zombies in an absolutely enormous early 1990s middle America setting. It has combat, crafting and is very much a "do whatever" game.

Here's a trailer, but I'll give you a taster of what happens in the game within the next post:

Comment

So basically you create a guy, pick some stats and you're dropped into the (absolutely enormous) world somewhere randomly. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

This guy is Val Coffman (I couldn't be bothered changing the default name). He spawned out in an absolutely useless static caravan type affair that had more-or-less nothing in it, but I did find a pipe wrench and being a burglar I was able to hotwire cars. This is great because I stumbled upon a police car with four zombie officers and smashed their heads in and took their weapons and a nice bulletproof vest. Four zombies doesn't sound much, but it really is quite a risk if you don't have good weapons.

After boosting their cop car, it was pretty knackered so I swiped this lovely car from a driveway. I was getting pretty tired, so I found an abandoned workshop and pulled it in and slept in the car. Sleeping is a big problem in the game - you need to find somewhere safe where a zombie won't turn up and bite your head off. As is everything else - eating, drinking, bleeding, having a panic attack, being too depressed to do anything. This is the meat of the game - you are constantly trying to acquire resources that get gradually more finite. Food goes rotten. The water supply (and electric) goes off. Half the time I haven't even died from zombies, it's been something else.

I located a farmhouse in a pretty quiet area, save for the fact that the neighbours didn't take well to being pipe wrenched and got me quite good. I wasn't in danger of being zombified, but I did have to rip up some clothes and use them as makeshift bandages. See the sheets on the windows? I put them there so nobody can see inside, otherwise a passing zombie will smash through your window whilst you're trying to cook a dead rat in the oven.

I was in a fortunate position mostly - decent safehouse, lots of food and a working car. But the lack of painkillers was a big problem and I was likely to need more first aid at some point, so after an uncomfortable sleep I headed out in the car. Unfortunately by that time, it had become John Carpenter's The Fog. But I set off down the road anyway, seeing what I could find.

The fog had mostly cleared up by the time I nearly crashed into this derelict car. Cars often have good stuff stashed inside them so I broke the window to have a look. What I didn't know is that there was about half a dozen zombies nearby who all noticed the noise and swarmed me. RIP Val. You will be wandering around the play area somewhere.

...but that's not the end! From that point on, your character is now a zombie. But you can create a new character who will appear in the very same map (and may well encounter them). This is Clementine Rains, a name so unfortunate I left it in. I chose an outfit that I felt matched that ethos and appeared in a pretty decent house but with sod all useful weapons except a bloody rolling pin. What am I, Andy Capp's wife?

Luckily she had a nice motor in the drive, very luckily in fact as the neighbourhood was absolutely swarmed. I'd have very little chance of setting up a base here even if there was a house jammed full of goodies. It would be like living round Chickenley (local joke).

Yep, I'm off. But I need some supplies, because all my car had was a map and a few random bits of junk.

I noticed a medical centre on the way out and pulled up - lots of zombies around but so long as I don't hang around too long it should be OK. I had to bray two of them with a rolling pin, then went inside for a look round. One of them had a knife in their back! Should have taken it from the body (you can do that - along with their clothes, but sod that). But the pharmacy was packed full of stuff - antidepressants, bandages, pills, all sorts of great stuff in a world full of zombies.

Just time for a drink and a quick wash in the sink.

And we're out of here, into the countryside and away from all this. I kept driving for a long time.

Some great stuff! No food though yet still... that's going to be a problem if it keeps up.

And I left it here at this crossroads - a few zombie cops and their battered cars, just like our previous guy. Do I take them on? Could replace my rolling pin with a nightstick at the least, but probably gain a shotgun or two. But I am still hungry and thirsty... and there's a lot of them. It's a big risk. And that's the position the game keeps putting you in - it's fantastic at keeping one or two crucial things away from you at all times.

So far I like it!

Comment

Good impressions. This game sounds really interesting.

Comment

Excellent stuff [MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION]. I remember hearing about this game in a podcast. Looks and sounds brilliant. Wish it would come to console.

Comment

Clementine Rains has sadly passed. Got lost in the woods, fell asleep, bitten whilst sleeping. Dead. But never mind, because...

I'm Sheriff John Bunnell. Zombie invasions are a new type of urban menace. When a zombie gang goes out of control, it's up to this retired officer of the law to set things straight. So get ready - it's going to be a FAST RIDE.

With the local area full of zombies, this resourceful officer got hold of a frying pan and set to work cleaning the streets.

But little did he know that he would be dealing with his former colleagues. The professional officer stoves his head in with a frying pan. It's all in the line of duty for this committed law enforcer.

Back at his safe house, the officer reviews the equipment he has salvaged from his fellow officer and some other people who happened to be in the area. It's a great find - a Magnum revolver and a night stick! Unfortunately for this tough-speaking law man, there are no bullets in sight. He also took a bra and panties as evidence.

It's all in a day's work for this true professional as he sends some sausages straight to the oven.

And now he's going to go straight to bed.

But little-did-he-know that his sleep would be disturbed by a crazed zombie felon who burst in through the window! However, this cop knew better than to sleep without his frying pan. He tackles the gruesome creep, blocks the open window with the fridge, has a glass of water and goes straight to bed (again).

When a situation is urgent, trained police officers are able to use their ability to requisition everything they need to maintain law and order - in this case a comic from next door. Don't question how the law works.

This officer professionally surveys the scene at a nearby house and makes a mental list of things to requisition over the next few days in order to complete his deadly mission. This abstract rug will be the perfect place to sit and figure out where the zombie perps might be headquartered.

But for now, he just requisitions some pork chops from the freezer and cooks it in their oven. Whilst he monitors the situation closely, he notices that this microwave could be at risk of being used for illegal activity. It is crucial that this equipment is taken home to his own kitchen where it can be used safely.

This police officer would like to take this family sedan to convert into a standard-issue police cruiser (it's a life-saving tool), but due to the lack of keys he is forced to trudge down the road with just a gas can, a microwave, a fashionable jacket and a load more sets of women's undergarments. There is also a mysterious VHS marked to be a TV show, which he decides to take home in order that he can carefully review this for clues.

However, disaster strikes as Kentucky's finest remembers that his own TV is slightly less nice than the one in the other house and is therefore ill-equipped for this important mission. There's only one thing to do...

It looks like this officer has everything under control - for now.

Comment

Haha this is great.

Comment

Brilliant

Comment

This area is one tough beat for this retired police officer, but he's not going to give up.

Zombies were heard partying in the area, violating the local noise ordinances. It's time for these partying pinheads to hit the hay - permanently.

As to be expected, their criminal house was in breach of health standards for the local area, filled with booze used for illicit activity. The brave officer removes every one of the bottles and retrieves them for evidence. They'll be stored in the kitchen cupboard to be examined later, possibly with dinner.

The daring officer makes a decision that he will try to use this vehicle as a means of mobile law enforcement. But yet again, there are no keys in the vicinity. The officer simply breaks the window and uses it as a temporary means of storing his delicious bottled evidence.

He pushes forward with his plan to rid the area of crime, using his professional training to subdue the errant corpses. It looks like they were having a barbeque, but the only queue they're in now is the queue... to hell.

Taking a moment to clean his weapons in the sink and eat some requisitioned pickles, the officer becomes despondent and questions his training. He wonders whether this truly is upholding the law or just smashing people in with a rolling pin.

Taking a breather for a moment, he decides to enter the office of this local storage business to see if there's further crime hidden in plain sight.

Jumping through the window, knife at the ready, he assesses the area and is confronted with the most incredible sight of all - America. After humming the national anthem to himself, he secures the perimeter and takes this flag...

..straight to home.

Comment

Well, I'm about a dozen characters in (maybe 40-50 if we count the ones who died very quickly) and I might as well show you the worst thing that can happen. This guy, Frank Keighley, was a burger flipper. This meant he was good at cooking and could use his skills to make very small amounts of food go far. But on a mission for supplies where I got too excited about the prospect of finding the keys to a pickup truck, overconfidence got the better of me and he was scratched and lacerated several times. I treated the wounds and applied sterilized bandages, but soon picked up nausea, fever and a sense of panic. Sometimes you can shake these symptoms, but as it went on and my health bar started to slowly dwindle I knew it... infected. Sooner or later, Frank would be a zombie. No cure. All I could do now was plan my death.

People have different ways, or strategies, of dealing with this. Some of them use it as an opportunity to lay the ground for the next character (being that whilst you lose their skills and experience, you can still have their equipment provided you go find it), others use it as an opportunity to try to access more risky areas in the hope of finding better loot for the next character, the rest just grab all their best weapons and go out in a blaze of glory. I'm a bit more sentimental and decided that I'd use my time to cook Frank a stew to enjoy as a parting gift. Ham, white bean and radish with a bit of tomato paste and pepper.

Got dressed in some of my smartest and undamaged clothes and grabbed a bottle of red wine and a glass, leaving my pickup truck keys on the armchair for the next guy. See all those books and supplies? This house was more-or-less bare before I got here.

This is what caused my death, but it'll do somebody a big favour later. With access to a truck, they'll be able to move heavy objects easily and do quick looting runs on the road.

One last look at the house. I never did manage to get the skills to hotwire that car on the drive. Or have a chance to use the barbeque I swiped from down the road.

I headed through the woods with minimal supplies, just an old pipe wrench that was nearly broken and a kitchen knife as a backup. Even though I'm off to die, I want to survive until then.

Zombies don't like hanging around in the woods, but I found a bunch in a clearing. The first one finally broke my trusty pipe wrench.

Got a few more with my backup kitchen knife. That'll show them.

Finally, I reached water. I just wanted to look at the lake. I was planning to learn fishing, but not much chance of that now.

Sat down to enjoy a few glasses of wine and eat the stew. You can drink wine from the bottle, but I thought it would be more dignified to take a glass.

With life now dwindling away, things started to get darker. Unclear if it was due to the suitably miserable weather or that I was getting close to my end (or both). Likely less than an hour or so...

Suddenly I was jumped by a pair of zombies! Came right out of nowhere, probably taking advantage of my drowsy/nauseous/tired state. Didn't have time to grab my knife, so used my remaining death rattles to knock them onto the floor and stamp on their heads.

Bleeding, panicking and in excruciating pain, I stumbled back towards the lake and sat down for my last few moments...

Dead.

RIP.

And welcome Zombie Frank, who I will search out and re-kill. And I might even bury him at the lake.

Comment

oooh thanks Hirst for the coverage. This looks perfect for Steam Deck (it is Deck verified). Can you control it with pad controls?

Comment

I love these stories by [MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION].

I really need to start playing this game!

Comment

I like Pork Chop Cop on patrol for bras and pants.
                              Is he still alive?

Comment

Working...
                              X