No announcement yet.

Crimson Skies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got off this game after a 5-6 hours stint tonight... all I can say is colour me impressed.

In delved into the single player for about an hour first to get to grips with the controls and general flow of the game. Story is nice but hardly surprising, voiceovers are fine, graphics are great with huge draw distance etc... nice wind/engine blur effects, rain, sea looks amazing (whales!)... all very impressive.

As a singleplayer game its comparable to Yager as someone mentioned above and looks like it will be fun to play through in full.

Online is where its at though!

First off, simply one of the best optimised games on XBL at the moment next to MotoGP2... 16 player games generally have next to no lag at all or more specifically if there is any its well hidden. What I have noticed is picking up health and ammo incurs a delay of approx. a second in busy games and sometimes kills dont register for a split second afterwards as well... but the actual flying and shooting never slows in framerate at all.

I played in plenty of international matches with very little to complain about, only the things Ive mentioned there. Plus I played about 15 matches with just local players here in Australia and it was "absolutely bloody flawless" it could of been on a LAN and the player hosting only had 512/128 ADSL... for 16 players! Wow!

The level design, fairly balance planes and game options... together with a full 16 player experience makes this one of the best online games Ive had the pleasure of playing on my tv.

My favourite level has to be Chicago with its huge buildings, reminds me of corruscant (sp?) from Star Wars a little without the hectic traffic! Favourie plane is probably the Dust Devil, yet I havent had time to try them all yet.

All up a pure gem of a title and a must buy for LIVE.

Comment

Damn

Tried to get a copy from Oxford St GAME at lunchtime, but they had not unpacked the delivery boxes so I can't have one today ft: .

Will have to pick it up tomorrow now, which is a bit of a choker as I am out on teh sauce tomorrow evening. Might just be able to get into the skies after I get home, expect some very eratic flying

Enjoy though chaps ......

TR

Comment

Sounds like great fun, how frustrating, like I said before I'll be there asap but I think I/we may be waiting a while...

If you live in London or surrounding areas and are waiting on something, read it and weep:

ft: ft:

Comment

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! My copy of this, top spin and amped 2 are STILL at the ****ing sorting office. BASTARD STRIKE!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerraig UK
            AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! My copy of this, top spin and amped 2 are STILL at the ****ing sorting office. BASTARD STRIKE!
            Yr not wrong, it's really winding me up now...

Comment

add me to that list, GBTG, Crimson Skies and Top Spin ft: I blame the patriots, always out to get me

Comment

Would someone be able to confirm at some point whether the UK version works on a US xbox please?

Comment

Right, got this morning, so it will be a drunken 'chocs away' this evening, for some flying hi-jinks around 9 (ish)

TR

Comment

I've now reached the third 'world' on the single player game, and I'm having great fun. Weaving in an out of the buildings in a dogfight is superb.

The 'protect the train' mission on level two was excellent, very intense.

The game isn't anywhere as non-linear as I first thought, but it is is enjoyable, if a little shallow.

Played 3 player MP, which was quite fun, though obviously limited.

Comment

Such an amzing online game! Spent most of the weekend dogfighting and playing keep away - my fave mode.

10+ player free for alls are so funny... people screaming, inevitable whingers complaining about "kill stealing" and the one guy who can't get a single frag. Very entertaining!

Keepaways' great though... like Rabbit mode in MM3 only better. It's very scary when you get the "booty" and need to evade everyone else, esp by zooming through the streets of chigaco and all you can see is lots of red dots on the radar zoning in on you!

There IS lag though... you notice it the more you play... Rather than have "warping" planes it would seem the developers implemented a delay to smooth out movements.

PeteJ,

I loved that train too! by far my favourite mission of the game. I'm not liking the 3rd area too much though, I guess it can get a little repetitive offline if you play it too much.

Comment

I'll play with ya sometime now I'm a bit more confident with the game (that time I played was me first go ); I needed to play the one player game a bit, learn the ins and outs, so to speak. I couldn't join either of your games though, even after the invite?! Be on later though...

The missus was in laughing her arse off though, watching and hearing us play but she still wouldn't 'ave a go

One player is great though, just what I wanted and expected. I especially like the seamless nature of the larger areas and how it all... flows Some missions are serious though, like the train already mentioned.

Only thing I wish I could change? I want to put turbo/brake on the right stick, which (imho) would make the special moves more accesible (i.e. rather than switching between buttons and stick) and make for some interesting move combos (e.g. slow-roll right then barrel left). Practice will eliminate these problems though

Comment

Please Mr Postie, let the 1st thing you deliver when you go back to work be my copy of Crimson Skies...

All sounds very entertaining, as I said earlier I'm still stuck in customs but will be with you asap.

I'm really lookin fwd to some online play...we could start the ntsc aerobatic, dogfighting display team. We don't just kill ppl, we do it with style and aplomb...

Comment

I thought I heard someone in the background alright! Mine won't touch it either cos it's not cute and nintendo!

Invites don't work once the game's started, I'll wait longer next time.

I love the single player too, I think Brats mentioned how well the actual tasks are integrated into the environment. Seeing an icon, hitting X and having the mission seamlessly start is such an excellent idea!

I'll be on tonight... I hate being stuck in work when I have a new game I'm excited about! Nothing I've written today works!

Last night I played that gamedemonX fella again Marklar and I whupped him so badly he kicked me out of the game!

Comment

lol, yeah - what a loser. some yanks started playing and they had some weird rank and they... pwn3d us. He started moaning about lag (4 people playing ) and killed the game!

I wanna go home now.

Comment

The big star rank? They're not always that good... most of them just get a few frags and the avoid death for the round to get that rank then they'll go into lesser games with dust devils and act like assholes!

The fun think about gamedemonX is he's good but easy to pwn and just reacts so funnily. He had me in ****ing stiches last night! Accused me of being a hacker who was cheating in the game.

He even complained when I tailed him, stole his kill then shot him down as well! In a dogfight that's fair game!

I'm tempted to go home early :P I'll be on straight after I had a bite to eat tonight!

Comment

Working...
                                X