No announcement yet.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been playing it on my modest PC (3GHZ dual core intel CPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM and a GTX 460 video card) and it runs like a dream at 1920x1080 with all setting on high and some extra tweaks. I'm playing it on the TV with a 360 pad and it works very well, the pad is fully supported.

Sure it has the odd low res texture up close, but the overall look and feel of the game is amazing. Saying it doesn't look much better than Oblivion is madness, it's a difference of night and day.

Comment

This is ace. It does look loads better than Oblivion and even though I haven't had the time to sit down for a lengthy session and play I am already finding myself thinking about the game when not playing it. Just a quick question, does the speech element improve, it seems a bit basic at first, I liked the speech wheel thing from Oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
        I delete the disc data on everyone's reccomendation, I couldn't see the difference. It looked just as good as it did.

I'd like to see some comparison shots as I'm fairly certain it isn't happening to me.
        Same here, I have the new S model if that makes any difference..?

By the way, how do you refill an enchanted weapon?

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
          I delete the disc data on everyone's reccomendation, I couldn't see the difference. It looked just as good as it did.

I'd like to see some comparison shots as I'm fairly certain it isn't happening to me.
          Important, must read.This is a little experiment I conducted to see if the tales about the textures on Skyrim are any different if you have the game installe...

• Sr. Community Manager.
          • Group: Administrator
          • LocationC

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:35 PM
          Skyrim uses a lot of dynamic streaming systems, including textures. We’ve seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up. We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed). Skyrim makes heavy use of the Xbox 360 caching system, and caches over the normal course of play while in menus or interiors. This cache can be wiped when other games are played or when the user manually removes it. We’re working on a solution in the next title update for those who have installed the game.

Comment

Im lv16 but my archer is starting to fall off a little, If im in a straight fight, for example a sequence where i have to fight, i get pretty mullered, I dont think im really taking advantage of alchemy and poisons tho, that could prob help

What classes are other people playing? I def want todo straight mage sometime

Comment

The thing about this (and Oblivion, and Morrowind too) that I think a lot of non-devs miss is that these games have *enormous* amounts of asset to handle. Not in terms of total data size sure, but in terms of the number of individual assets (textures, models, sound clips, quest scripts etc...)

Imagine you have to write a test plan to cover all this stuff. Or if you're a programmer, imagine trying to handle the asset management and data baking systems? *shudder*.

They're not cutting edge visually, (although they've finally caught up a little on character modelling and animation this time) but they're unmatched for the sheer scope of whats in here.

I agree the melee combat is a bit functional, but the stealth/archery approach is one of the finest in the genre. The streamlining of the skills and levelling won't be to some peoples tastes, but its not like its gone so far as to position itself as an action title.

I can see that people who like challenge would prefer Dark Souls to this, but for those who like to wander, explore, find all the random side quests (and my word there are a lot of them in here, I've already completed 50 apparently, and I've barely seen a quarter of the world...) will prefer this one.

Shame about the tech problems, but I know from experience that the 'install the disc to the hard drive' stuff can cause you issues you just don't see at all during dev (remember Halo3's problems with it, for example...)

Also, find the in-game book 'The Great War', as that explains everything thats happened in the 200 in-game years since Oblivion. It explains a few things that might be seeming a bit odd to people that know the storylines of the previous few games.

Comment

I'm playing with roll playing in mind so im not min/maxing stuff just to win. Atm im playing like a Barbarian with Great sword, light armour and Bow for initial sneak attacks if i can get the jump, will have to do enchantment at some point so i have a chance fighting magic and trolls but have yet to breakdown any useful equipment containing attacking enchantments to gain spells or gain the soul trap spell to fill gems.. waiting on someone to make a useful guide for hand to hand before i go around trying to punch stuff in my dream of becoming warrior monk!

Comment

I just turn the difficulty down if I'm getting battered, there aren't any cheevs attached to difficulty.

I just did the same experiment as that guy and whilst it didn't affect my hand texture, the floor and pillars looked **** when I installed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane View Post
                    I've been playing it on my modest PC (3GHZ dual core intel CPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM and a GTX 460 video card) and it runs like a dream at 1920x1080 with all setting on high and some extra tweaks. I'm playing it on the TV with a 360 pad and it works very well, the pad is fully supported.

Sure it has the odd low res texture up close, but the overall look and feel of the game is amazing. Saying it doesn't look much better than Oblivion is madness, it's a difference of night and day.
                    That is good to know as i have the same processor & ram and a 560ti and was hoping to play it at 1080p on the big screen!

Comment

Picked it up yesterday, definitely one of those games you can lose days to to. Got to lvl 7 atm and have just killed the 1st dragon when it comes to the main quest. But having gone round whiterun, i`ve been picking up quite a few sub quests, which has distracted me from the main quest.

Gone the stealth route, with bow and light sword/shield as my weapons of choice. Managed to stealth my way through alot of the quest when looking for the golden claw which is pretty neat but still getting caught out on pick pocketing But being a thane in whiterun now helps with that if you get caught out

Can see this game lasting a long long time, especially over the xmas period.

Comment

For those of you who've played Daggerfall and have experienced random quests in Skyrim, are they similar?

In other words, do you get sent to specific areas with specific tasks which spawn specific enemies and/or items at the time? I thought the way those quests worked in DF were quite brilliant. Just hope they've carried across the idea into here.

Comment

Random quests take you to random dungeons to kill specific targets. Not sure if it spawns unique items though. It works surprisingly well.
                          Anyone trying the Thief guild? Love the Jobs but the actual missions are tough as nails. Seems to be impossible to sneak through and each mission has ended with bloodshed. Still wearing heavy armour mind

Comment

I know of one misc quest that has a couple of unique items you get from doing it. Most of the misc quests are really fun too i have barely touched the main storyline ones so far.

Started playing 9am saturday morning i came off at 3am early sunday morning, this game is a damn time sponge. Been amazing so far, i settled on a Breton as my character & based him as a mage however im fed up of wizards getting their asses kicked because they are weak in hand to hand so i have spent time fighting to give hm good stats for single & double handed swords & using a shield. I want to be able to go stealth too but i can attain the stealth abilities by magic & items instead of by training. Im saving my level perks till later so i can choose the best magic classes & spend the perks wisely but i have been evenly levelling illusion, restoration & destruction magic as i go. I also find picking locks really fun especially the master ones hehe damn they are harsh.

Should really start tracking down the words of power & shouts, have a bunch of dragon souls to spend on them. I love how the dragons are random, your just going about your buisness & bam suprise dragon attack. I also like how they are not all fire breathers, gives some variety when you attack.

Comment

I think this might be the best offline game I have ever played.

Comment

This is awesome. I can see where they blew most of the money though. Hiring arnold swarzenegger to do voices can't have been cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X