Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaTaito View Post
    Wanting 3 classic zelda's in HD... shallow?

And i hardly think they were universally slated, besides the fact that twilight wouldnt need to have motion controls as it was also a gamecube release.

BUT If i'm shallow for wanting zelda in HD then i'm guilty punishable by the harshest method.

What a weird little outburst lol...
    I agree with you, would love the 3D Zelda's polished up and released in HD.

Although Ocarina of Time is one of the best games ever made, it was looking worse for weather and dull by today's standards. The 3DS remake gives it widescreen support, polishes up the world & it's inhabitants along with some controller changes and the stunning 3D makeover. Playing through the game again in this refreshed way makes you appreciate Ocarina like you did back in the 90's.

It would be brilliant to see some of Nintendo's classical work given the HD or 3D treatment.

Comment

Nintendo seem to be thinly stretched enough as it is. I'd rather they spent their time making new games, not constantly retreading old ground.

Comment

I've decided to give this game another chance because I couldn't get on with the controls the first time and I really want to finish it (that, plus it was only ?14 in currys), and for some reason I'm liking it now, it's finally clicked with me. Maybe it's because I know what to expect now and I'm being more patient with the controls in battle. Plus my little boy loves to watch me play and I let him have a go at swinging the sword with the Wii remote from time to time which he loves .

I have a new TV and graphically it seems to be better? I've set the TV to 200hz mode and it's as if it's running at 60FPS with no input lag that I've noticed. It really makes a difference. Also I'm playing it via HDMi through my Wii U. It looks great now!

Wind Waker is my favourite Zelda game and after hearing it's re-release is on the way it's given me incentive to play this more.
        Last edited by MarioMark; 24-01-2013, 22:43.

Comment

Started playing this a few weeks back and completed it over the weekend. After getting over the graphics (jesus, they're ****!) and eventually getting the hang of the motion plus swordplay (which I initially hated) I really started to enjoy it. Kinda surprised the story was a bit diffferent from previous Zeldas too, which was nice, and the dungeons were just as rewarding to play as ever. I definitely feel the game would have benefited from a more powerful machine, especially the flying parts, but, yeah, excellent game.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioMark View Post
            Also I'm playing it via HDMi through my Wii U. It looks great now!
            I'd like to see it through HDMI as it looks shocking through component. But at least on the real Wii the audio is output in Dolby Pro Logic II, where as it's just stereo on the Wii U. Bloody Nintendo and their penny saving corner cutting.

Comment

Not knowing the Wii-U, what hardware was dropped? Could you input via HDMI to the TV and phono cable out from the TV > stereo?

Comment

Nintendo dropped all dolby support for the Wii U. That isn't a big deal for Wii U games which (through HDMI) can play in glorious 5.1 LPCM - which is totally uncompressed and easily the best audio quality on any console. The problem is because dolby has been dropped, it means all original Wii games (even those encoded in dolby pro logic 2) output in stereo only.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                  Nintendo dropped all dolby support for the Wii U. That isn't a big deal for Wii U games which (through HDMI) can play in glorious 5.1 LPCM - which is totally uncompressed and easily the best audio quality on any console. The problem is because dolby has been dropped, it means all original Wii games (even those encoded in dolby pro logic 2) output in stereo only.
                  (apologies for continuing the off-topic)

I did not know this - how disappointing! I moved to a HDMI-accepting amp partly on the basis of the Wii U's insistence to use this as its input method, and thought that with that simplicity (plus upscaling!) that it'd be the best way to play all of the Wii games I've stockpiled. Are there no surround sound standards used in Wii games that are not Dolby-based and that carry across?

Comment

It is disappointing.

Sadly, dolby is the only surround format Wii games use, so at present there is no way of getting 'proper' surround out of Wii games on the Wii U. You'll just have to use 'virtual' surround or 5/7 channel stereo surround or other simulated surround mode. Maybe Nintendo will introduce a patch that allows users to set the Wii mode audio to stereo or surround like the Wii console has, or maybe some clever chap will release a homebrew channel (which I believe works on the Wii U Wii mode) loader that decodes dolby.

Comment

Couldn't care less tbh, stereo mixed by amp to DPL2 is fine, and virtually indistinguishable from pre-encoded PL2.

Comment

There's a noteable difference between stereo-upmixed-to-DPL2 and encoded DPL2. Encoded DPL2 provides five separate full frequency channels, upmixed DPL2 provides 2 full frequency channels (L & R) and 2 poor-quality frequency channels (center and rear).

Play a game like Skyward Sword or Mario Galaxy with the Wii audio set to surround and hooked up to a DPL2 decoding amp and rotate the game camera 360 degrees and you can hear particular sounds move from one speaker to the next in a circle, play the same game through the same amp but with the Wii audio set to stereo and you don't get clean seperation between the front and center channels, and you don't get any seperation between the L rear and R rear channels.

Comment

Yeah the difference is massive.

Comment

I do play through an amp(marantz sr6006), and maybe i just think that PL2 itself isnt that great anyways.

I never notice much difference when i play, say another game console via stereo mixed by my amp to DPL2, and the Wii sending pre encoded PL2 to the amp.

Just meh.

Comment

Well my PL2 sounds superb. Very rich and room filling. Certainly much more noticeable than mixed stereo.

Comment

Just completed this on hero mode and it's utterly utterly amazing. The combat is so well designed and works perfectly within the boundaries of the motion plus system. Last boss can do mega damage with strikes but with patience and timing, I beat him comfortably.

I will be sad if the motion plus system is removed from the Wii U Zelda game. They will probably use the game pad for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X