Sonic CD - XBOX Live Arcade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonic CD - XBOX Live Arcade

I've Just completed Sonic CD on the 360 and all I can say is THANK YOU SEGA FOR NOT F**KING THIS UP!!! This is what we want. The default filter set to soft looks a bit cack but set it to sharp and you'll have a very nice image. The game plays just like the Mega CD original and even has a few little bonus graphical touches and features not in the original but I won't ruin the fun by telling you. The only issue is that the Japanese soundtrack is missing the vocals from the opening and closing animations but still nothing too bad. The tunes are the same, just no vocals. I guess there were copyright issues.

Anyway, if you love real Sonic then you will love this. The best Sonic ever just got better!

Yakumo

I concur, great game.....ability to switch between soundtracks is a really nice touch. I expected 800 points too, the fact its 400 just makes it a must own.

Comment

Is it stick or d-pad control? Is there a 360 pad with a good d-pad?

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff D View Post
        Is it stick or d-pad control? Is there a 360 pad with a good d-pad?
        The Mad Catz portable drum kit for Rock Band 2.

I'm serious.

Comment

It's analoge and digital controls! I use the Hori pad which has a fantastic D-pad on it but saying that, the D-pad on my Elite controller is just fine. Anyway, I find the controls to be perfect. I use the D-pad for the main game while using the analoge for the bonus stages. It's not true analoge but it does feel better because of the 3D nature of those levels.

Comment

Playing the PS3 version with the Saturn pad is the way to go. Was really surprised that Sega let someone from the Sonic fangame scene port this over but they've really done a great job, this Retro Sonic Engine it uses makes it look good in Widescreen as well, was half expecting it to look stretched like a lot of retro releases.

Comment

I just had a quick go on the iOS version.

Its a good port, it looks and sounds fantastic on the iPad, the virtual dpad works much better on the iPhone though.

Anyway the game itself is just as fantastic as its always been. I am glad they let you choose between soundtracks. The US one is awful while the Japanese one is fantastic.

Comment

The iOS version is out? I can't find it at all.

EDIT - Found it. ?1.49?! Nice.

The title probably needs a slight tweak, given the game is also out for PSN and iOS, and will soon be coming to PC, Android and Windows Phone

Anyway, it sounds like there's no way they could have made this better. Widescreen (how many 2D games get that treatment?) and even the addition of Tails.
                Last edited by sj33; 14-12-2011, 23:45.

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
                  The Mad Catz portable drum kit for Rock Band 2.

I'm serious.

****! That looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
                    The iOS version is out? I can't find it at all.

EDIT - Found it. ?1.49?! Nice.

The title probably needs a slight tweak, given the game is also out for PSN and iOS, and will soon be coming to PC, Android and Windows Phone

Anyway, it sounds like there's no way they could have made this better. Widescreen (how many 2D games get that treatment?) and even the addition of Tails.
                    Yeah you can't really go wrong with the price, plus it's a lot better than segas other iOS ports, they usually suffer from poor controls and awful sound emulation but there's none of that here, for once there has been some real effort put into it.

Comment

Just gave the iOS version a go. On my iPod Touch 4G it runs at a perfect 60fps - No crazy Sonic 4-esque framerate slowdown shenanigans.

All the content is here too. As has been noted, the intro music from the JP/EU soundtrack has been replaced with an instrumental 'remix'. Given the care that went into all other areas of this package, we can only assume that copyright issues are to blame, rather than simple negligence. On the positive, it uses the higher quality versions of the FMV footage found in Sonic Gems Collection, but also includes the special effects that the Sonic Gems version lacked.

Comment

I'm waiting for the Android version.

Comment

Just gave the iOS version a go. On my iPod Touch 4G it runs at a perfect 60fps - No crazy Sonic 4-esque framerate slowdown shenanigans.
                          Not only that, it runs flawless on my 3rd gen Touch so they really put the love in with the performance. And being universal, it works great on my iPad too. Looks crisp and pixel perfect. A lovely port and the virtual controls work really well. All in all, runs so much better than the not great iOS version of Sonic 1.

Comment

All the content is here too. As has been noted, the intro music from the JP/EU soundtrack has been replaced with an instrumental 'remix'. Given the care that went into all other areas of this package, we can only assume that copyright issues are to blame, rather than simple negligence. On the positive, it uses the higher quality versions of the FMV footage found in Sonic Gems Collection, but also includes the special effects that the Sonic Gems version lacked.
                            Correction Shakey not copyright, it would be perforance rights (PRS) I'm guessing Sega didn't want to pay the money.

Which I find some what odd as all the tracks are included on the Sonic CD 20th Ani soundtrack, still great port well worth the money, let's hope this is a sign of things to come Shining Force CD please Sega!

Comment

I know Sega have already released both Sonic 1 and 2 for current digital formats (as very cynical MegaDrive emulation), but I'd love to see them give the same treatment as this to the other Sonic games. Widescreen, sensible approach to filtering, and bonues.

Comment

Working...
                              X