No announcement yet.

Sonic CD - XBOX Live Arcade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

been playing this on ipad all day, its every bit of awesome, sonic boom sonic boom

Comment

I just noticed it up on the Android store. I'm $0.22 out from being able to afford it though, what a bastard!

Comment

Very nice and hands down still the best 2D SONIC game every made . Nice to see some proper sprite scaling on the bonus stages which for the life of me couldn't understand why it wasn't used in the original

Comment

This is absolutely the best Sonic game. The problem is that a lot of people will not like its slower pacing and seemingly haphazard level design. But the fact is, this is more of a true platform game than any other game in the series. Its about finding the right spot to be able warp, then find the generator somewhere in the level (sometimes by backtracking, which is very possible to do) and find the projector.

And then seeing a peaceful good future level and a pink Robotnik...

Yeah.

I beat it once already, i'm now doing a strict Good Future run... At Tidal Tempest 2 now and its going perfect.

Comment

What a fantastic port. Sega need to give whoever handled this to handle the rest of their md/scd catalogue. Rich colours and picture. The only problem i have with it is that its Sonic CD. I'm just not a fan of the game. Beautiful it is, wish other companies could handle classic games like this.
            Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 16-12-2011, 17:57.

Comment

The engine is absolutely wonderful. No unaltered 16-bit port looks this good, let alone in true 1080p and 16:9.

Its a shame that Backbone already threw a myriad of Megadrive ports on the different services. They are all **** and deserve to be deleted in favor of Retro Engine versions.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                ****! That looks awesome!
                It's not great. I tried one out but I preferred the D-pad on the Hori EX2 pad until I got an XTokki PS2>360 adapter for use with a PS2 Saturn pad. The latter's a more expensive option but the digital controls (and flattened face buttons) on that Hori pad were spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by saturn-gamer View Post
                  Its a shame that Backbone already threw a myriad of Megadrive ports on the different services. They are all **** and deserve to be deleted in favor of Retro Engine versions.
                  Backbone are a travesty of a developer - they seem to pump out cheap and nasty **** which devalues once great retro games. I wish they'd go bankrupt - how the **** Sega went with them, despite the fantastic work done by the internal team who made the Sega Ages emulation packs (such as the Phantasy Star one), I will never know. Backbone make poorly emulated ****, which are worse than homebrew emulators, whereas the Sega Ages retro packs matched if not exceeded homebrew emulation with regards to filters and other neato extras.

Sorry, bit of a rant, but I hate Backbone's work, and hate the fact so few call them out for being absolute ****.

How's the lag in this?

Comment

Sega certainly should replace their emulated versions with retro engine versions. Get Christian Whitehead on the job - he clearly loves the games.

Comment

This is ace, never been a big fan of Sonic CD but they've done this very right, along with Daytona, been very impressed with these classic Sega offerings, hope to see some more.

Comment

For those who have never played Sonic CD and are on the fence, this is the most imaginative Sonic game. Is it the best? I'm not sure, Sonic 3 & Knuckles retains that prize in my mind. But so much love and care went into this game. Be it the early 90s techno style, or the liberal use of the time travel concept, it's a game that was never afraid to experiment.

All these years on, it is possibly the best platformer since Super Mario World.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                          Backbone are a travesty of a developer - they seem to pump out cheap and nasty **** which devalues once great retro games. I wish they'd go bankrupt - how the **** Sega went with them, despite the fantastic work done by the internal team who made the Sega Ages emulation packs (such as the Phantasy Star one), I will never know. Backbone make poorly emulated ****, which are worse than homebrew emulators, whereas the Sega Ages retro packs matched if not exceeded homebrew emulation with regards to filters and other neato extras.

Sorry, bit of a rant, but I hate Backbone's work, and hate the fact so few call them out for being absolute ****.

How's the lag in this?
                          Don't worry your not the only one who thinks Backbone are rubbish, their Konami ports were also terrible.

Despite my earlier comments, I now believe this to be a port of the PC version so doubt will be seeing other Mega CD ports anytime soon.

Comment

It can't be a port of the PC game - for one thing, it contains the water effects, unlike the PC and Gems version.

Comment

Played the demo, and it is indeed an excellent port. A little limited regarding filters, but I appreciate the ability to select soundtrack, and it seems totally lag free, compared to the MD Collection pack on PS3.

Problem is, I've never been able to understand Sonic CD. Owned the original (still have it, now on my Xbox for emulation), but I have never understood this time travel malarky. When I clocked it last time I just went through the levels, like in a normal Sonic game. I think I time travelled twice in the entire game, and both by accident. There's never enough run up for these signs and I lose the sparkle effect. And when I do time travel, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing anyway!

Somebody please explain, as simply as possible, what you're supposed to do in it?

Comment

Well...

if I have this right, you travel to the past to destroy machines that make the badniks (no idea how many there are, one or two). That creates a good future. There's also something else you destroy to do even better. So travel into the past, break stuff and make a better future. The levels alter a little in the time periods and, as far as I know, the present is the easiest.

There's probably more to it than that but I think that's the basics.

Comment

Working...
                                X