Forza Horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forza Horizon

I dont normally post any kind of review on demos because they are most of the time too short and dont show enough of a game to form a fair enough opinion but this is a very generous demo so here are my thoughts. I am not joking or going over the top when i say this but for me this is the best car/racing game i have played in my life, this is a car driving game that is just about perfection.

It looks just fantastic, i really cannot believe its running on 6-7 year old hardware, the views of lakes, mountains even the trees look sublime. The attention to detail really is exceptional with the cars, right up there with anything i have seen. I have been playing for over an hour just driving round and the amount of times i have pulled over and just looked at the views, i have rarely done this in ANY genre of game. The day/night sequence really is lovely the lighting used works so well out in the countryside, i love the lights on the cars coming on automatically, the xenon's look great, the moon shining on water and trees, it all looks ace.

The engine sounds are just about perfect so much so that when an AI controlled car passes you can clearly notice different exhaust/engine tones from different cars, V8's and V10's rumble pass, the very distinct Lamborghini sounds, really fantastic. Im also loving the soundtrack, the different tracks i have heard do really suit the game and really make me just want to drive around and listen, almost like real life.

I have played open world racers such as the Test Drives and some of the open Need For Speeds but what really sets this apart is the fact it feels so polished, the amount of work that appears to have gone into it is phenomenal. The Evo Viper that you drive handles really nice, i have just been driving around i have not actually done much else, dont even know if there are any further cars to drive in the demo.

This really is a culmination of 6/7 years worth of driving games that have come and gone over the Xbox 360's life span crammed into this finished product and this personally will not be topped, this is the pinnacle of racing games until the next gen now, lol and this is just a demo. This is just my opinion but im now so excited for the full game and to drive all the different roads and the more exotic cars around.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Yep, gave it a shot tonight, the visuals are stunning like you say considering how old the hardware is now. I think this is as good as it will get on the 360. Cars feel great, the sound / music is pretty awesome as well. I suppose the whole atmosphere will hinge on people buying and playing it online.

All it needs now is 1080p 60fps :P ..and weather conditions...maybe Xbox720?

The map looks a bit on the small side I thought.

Comment

Being a 60fps whore I shouldn't like this but the demo is very playable and the visuals are lovely and clean looking. It is a nice smooth 30fps too. Handling really shows up the lack of quality in the last NFS games.

Comment

Any feedback on the handling? That is the one factor that worries me as they've gone down to 30fps I this because of the sheer scale.

Comment

Lol Nakamura you read my mind!!

Comment

Heh!

Well I just raced in a Viper at speeds of 150 plus through winding roads and it was an utter joy. Car was snaking through with satisfying weight and constantly on the point of sliding too far. Really good fun and a certain buy I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
              Any feedback on the handling? That is the one factor that worries me as they've gone down to 30fps I this because of the sheer scale.
              PGR4 was still awesome at 30FPS

60 vs 30!
              FIGHT FIGHT

Comment

I find the handling just perfect for me, quite simply its really fun to play. There really is a great sense of speed when going 100mph+. I think it looks great at 30FPS as the scenery detail looks so richly detailed, the sky is just the best i have seen and the sunsets are beautiful. In terms of the map it looks huge when you look at it.

Comment

I've barely read or watched/seen much of this, but the OP hits the nail on the head. Visually it blew me away...I did not expect the quality for an open-world racer. The soundtrack is fantastic...I sat and listened to Porter Robinson just on the menu before even doing anything. I've gone from knowing bugger all to being very excited for this.

Comment

I'll get to play it tonight but this thread has pretty much addressed my biggest fears for the game, those being whether 30fps would feel functional enough and whether the open world setting wouldnt be up to scratch.

I've been hovering over the pre-order button until now but once I knew this demo was coming I'd left it till now to decide. Sounds great and thanks for the info.

Comment

Had a go last night and the driving was good enough. The whole hey dawg brah yoof characters and setting is complete cliched tired rubbish.

Comment

Yeah the setting is somewhat overdone, pity really. The visuals are really clever as if you look at the detail, it is very low in most areas. The grass is very blurry and the tarmac is very understated. Personally I like the look of it, such a clean looking title.

Comment

Why oh why do they insist on filling games with this yo dawg poo? It's borderline offensive and yes I know the marketing dept have done their research into the core demographic but really!? Is this really what they think we want?

The demo itself seems okay - ish. There's not enough feedback between differing surfaces for me, going from dirt to Tarmac should be a distinct tactile transition, its not there. Don't really get the love for the graphics either, its good but not mind blowing. I think I'm spoilt though because I play a lot of Gran Turismo still which look pretty bloody good. The rivals events are where it shines for me, it's fantastic doing a race then finding your mate has done it a second quicker. Going straight back in and racing the ghost is fun.

I'm a little suspect about the core game though I mean what has it got that TDU hasn't already done years ago apart from the wonderful Forza handling?

Comment

Well Test Drive handles like ****e.

Comment

Yes well I agree, as you can see by the final words in my closing sentence. But the question remains, because at a casual glance this looks like an unwanted hybrid of Dirt / TDU / NFS / Motorstorm.

Comment

Working...
                              X