Project Cross Zone (JPN 3DS) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Cross Zone (JPN 3DS) review

As I suspected, this plays an awful lot like the Mugen no Frontier/Endless Frontier SRW spin-offs, but with more SRW to them. Unlike MnF there is no exploring, no random battles, no attack lists that get followed. Each level is one battle, with things being played out over as many turns as you need (99 turns and it's Game Over though!). Character groupings are free to move about the field to a certain distance, smashing/opening/collecting whatever there may be before they attack. As attacking does finish that grouping's turn.

Attacks are now controlled by the A button and the slide pad, with there being 5 different combinations right there, although only starting with 3. There are also Support attacks from groupings within any of the 8 spaces surrounding the one in play, and Solo attacks from members who have been added to pairs of other characters to provide that little extra. Timing still matters as there are saved high scores for total hits, etc. Successful attacks earn XP (Cross Points, not to be confused with Exp, experience points) which can be used to perform killer moves when at 100%, or to counterattack/block attacks from the enemy when it's their turn.

Enjoying it so far, possibly better than MnF EXCEED...

Harada-san is lobbying for a localisation of Project X Zone.

Comment

Anyone interested in trying this should go here and buy it:
      Online shopping for Import Video Games, Digital Codes, iTunes Cards, Mobage & PSN Cards, Movies, Music, Electronics, Computers, Software, Books, Apparel, Personal Care, Toys & more.

$25!

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        Online shopping for Import Video Games, Digital Codes, iTunes Cards, Mobage & PSN Cards, Movies, Music, Electronics, Computers, Software, Books, Apparel, Personal Care, Toys & more.

$25!
        Probably a consequence of PXZ recently getting as much as an 85% price cut in Japan due to poor sales.

I think that a western localisation can safely be ruled out now.

Comment

$25!
          Not anymore, try ?47

Comment

Still $24.90 when I look, 350 left and limit of 2 per household.

Comment

lol weird, it's now cheap again.

Comment

Demo is up on the UK eShop.

Looks nice, the character sprites are chunky and relatively detailed. Glad the original J-Language track has been kept.

The demo just kind of throws you in the deep end so I'm a little confused by timings of attacks etc. Some of the specials are pretty, well, special. Screen filling behemoths!

Looking forward to the full version with a real tutorial and the rest of the roster.

Comment

The demo is somewhat confusing. I have absolutely no idea as to what's going on, but it's AWESOME nonetheless. I'll deco get it when it comes out.
                  Last edited by J0e Musashi; 23-05-2013, 22:46.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Played it this morning and it is indeed hectic. A sample of one of the battles with Street Fighter, Sakura Taisen, .hack, Valkyria Chronicles 3 and God's Eater characters to use. Battle tends to be press a direction & A to see your duo at the time throw out a flashy combo on the aliens (?) with the L button bringing in an assist and the R button calling in support (if you are near enough to another pair of characters and you have symergy).

I get the feeling once this game is released that it will certainly be one for the fans. So many franchises collected into one title, I'm still surprised it sold poorly in Japan upon its original release. Still, at least we're getting an EU release and that's not bad at all...

@teddymeow: Yes those character sprites look dead nice and crisp, good to see the creators taking care with the presentation-side of things.

Comment

The idea is keeping the enemy in the air.
                      While an attack sequence is being performed, your main characters can be left to finish it while you add in support/etc attacks.
                      You don't control characters while they are attacking, so don't try to.

Was I the only one who played the Endless Frontier games??

Comment

I was the only one who played the Endless Frontier games??
                        Just changed the order of the first two words of this final sentence.

Comment

Am just downloading the demo off the Uk 3ds e shop
                          thoughts will come later

Comment

Downloaded the demo myself too. It's a sRPG but it almost seems as if the combat has some degree of combo-ability. Seems sort of interesting, although the Demo is a little limiting probably in regards to combos.

Comment

It's ok, I would agree with spreedlolitait seems interesting but a bit limited will have to see how it pans out in the full game

Comment

Working...
                              X