Need for Speed: Most Wanted review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need for Speed: Most Wanted review

Well, the game is out in the US now and went live on PSN last night which is the version I've got. I picked this up with some caution after Hot Pursuit was the first Criterion racer to leave me cold. I've only had time to give this a quick go so far so here's some quick impressions.

With Forza Horizon out so close and also being an open world racer I was unsure if they'd prove to similar but booting the game up quickly dismisses such thoughts. MW is a bit odd to move to after the smooth engine of Forza, the PS3 version has the jaggies you'd expect and the framerate is fine but not as solid as in Horizon. There is however a lot more detail to the visuals, you won't get gorgeous vistas but you do get rain glistened roads and sun streaked skyscrapers. Criterion has definitely taken Paradise as the basis and then rooted it in more grounded design. You'll recognise many of the distractions very quickly and there is a vertical element to the city though it's kostly jumps and ramps rather than Paradises rollercoaster style tricks.

The controls take a little getting used to, the cars that you drive by stumbling across during playtime are fast and punchy but drifting and sharp braking is essential as this is that bit more arcadey than Forza was. The police chases seem well balanced so far too, you can get away easy enough, its just staying hidden long enough to not restart the chase that needs caution.

It hasn't hit me like Paradise did but first impressions are pretty good and with more play it could develop into quite and addictive game as the framework seems solid
    1 - Jail bait
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    10 - More Wanted than The Wanted
    0%

Had a couple of more races now. Essentially events are tied to the cars you find, thankfully you only need to pull up beside a found car for it to add to your collection meaning you don't need to interupt your trip to the next race all the time. There are three race difficulties and easy seem just that, medium already shows signs of being a little unforgiving so hard will be fun to tackle, that said Im still getting my bearings sorted with the handling and winning events unlocks upgrades to your current car so later races should get easier. Found a few cool jumps too which evoke Paradise. Current progress according to the stats stands at 2%, cripes!

Comment

Is it 30fps? Sorry to drag the topic into the thread.

Burnout Paradise still impresses today at 60fps.

Comment

Yup, I wouldn't be suprised if it falters a little at times too as there's alot of lighting and environmental effects at work too but so far it hasn't impacted the gameplay

Comment

Dunno whether to get it now or hold out for the Wii U version. Thing is by the time it's released on Wii U it will be ?20 everywhere on other formats.

Never really been a fan of NFS but this is basically Burnout paradise 2. Looks good.

Comment

PC version struggling to hit a constant 60fps too. no vsync option either.

Comment

Anyone picked up the Vita Version?

Comment

Giant bomb like the vita version

Comment

Im going to keep an open mind on this one, i think once again as with Forza Horizon i have read opinions of people liking it and others who say its rather poor. It is rather reassuring that it has been getting constantly good scores in reviews, my only concern is that i may have been spoiled by the brilliance of Horizon, Most Wanted really does have a lot to live up to for me.

I have ordered it for both Xbox and Vita, will post opinion on the Vita version when i eventually get round to playing it, Jesus im getting such a backlog, too many good games coming out

Comment

Any word on a demo?

Comment

Given the hard to reach 60fps on PC and unstable 30fps max on consoles from Criterion, the makers of the awesome solid 60fps Paradise the title of the game is a little ironic now. Amirite!?

Comment

Hot Pursuit was a system hog too, had to force vsync & AA in Nvidia Control panel in that game, though of course adaptive vsync has saved us from such fates now

Does MW look hot though?

Comment

Plaiyng this on the Ipad and my PS3 and really enjoying it. Yonks since I played this type of game and initially found the open world a little daunting but getting used to it now.

I am trying to win my first Wanted race and got well and truly beat! Cops and hidden roads every where so it will take some time to get know the full map. So far so good and my type of fun racer!

Oh, i got this from USA PSN store $60 (?38ish)

Comment

Sorry for p1$$1ng on the thread, but does anybody just miss a good old racer ie Burnout, not paradise or any of this open world guff. Straight out point racing with added MP for laughs?

Comment

What, like SplitSecond or Blur?

Comment

Working...
                              X