Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halo 4 review

BOOYEAH
    Shame it's arrived on me and my girlfriends Anniversary. My game time is severely hampered today.

So...where do we start.
    2 years since the Last Halo game, Halo has been handed over to a crack squad of developers hand picked to carry the franchise forward into a new age. Only time will tell as to whether they have acheieved this, but based on my experiences so far and the experiences of others

Booting it up I get to see the title screen once again : Halo 4. No more monk chants!
    Booting up campaign first starts with an absolutely incredible quality FMV that hints at the slightly more serious tone of what is to come, straight away you can see that they are drawing from lore and universe that has been created since the franchise launched 11 years ago.
    If that doesn't interest you, then you do get to see some bad ass spartans dropping from the sky and kicking some ass.

Once the game starts the massive improvements to the graphics become apparent, it literally looks as good as those screenshots we all doubted (although not 100000p and downscaled)

The people they have got on board, along with the natural technological progression and clever design is clearly allowing for things that they could never achieve before.
    My new headphones are getting their playtime too, the new soundtrack is damn cool and is clearly obvious it has come from a team who has worked on hollywood films before. Although it does feel a little weird not having the traditional Marty O'Donnel music there, it still fits.

After a tutorialised first section with some QTEs, reminiscent of the first level of Halo 1 if it had QTEs. I'm let out into the open world, where I get to fight some familiar enemies.
    When left to move a little more freely you notice that the Chief can jump higher than he could before, it's marginally more floaty than Reach , the base movement speed is a little faster and holding in the left stick ala cod is now.

Firing my DMR i awesome, it fires even more pinpoint than in Reach, is faster and SOUNDS awesome.
    Having a play with some of the classic weapons in a classic Halo environment is also a cool intro. I've said it before, but for the first time ever, the Needler feels like a gun you actually want to pick up.

I'm in a bit of a pickle with playing more, I'm not playing on my own gamertag/online until I know it is safe too, I'm dying to head online for some proper multiplayer. I've played quite a few hours of multiplayer via at various places over the last few weeks, but I'm keen to get my own spartan up and running!
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

So this is Halo4: Anniversary Edition?

Congrats btw (on both counts). I should get my copy tomorrow... Cannot wait to fire this up

Comment

I'll go online tommorrow to own some noobs! Looking forward to that!

Comment

can you confirm whether or not Firefight is part of the MP package? mostly likely it isn't which would be a shame...

Comment

From what I gather, Spartan Ops has replaced it. Bit of a shame that, as I quite liked firefight back in the day.

Comment

I'm waiting to watch the GameTrailers review before comitting.

I have high hopes that 343 have changed the formula a bit, but from the YouTube videos I've seen, bar one major new enemy, it seems the same as the others to me.

It'll be the complete package no doubt, but may end up waiting for the price drop and dive in next year when releases dry up.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
              can you confirm whether or not Firefight is part of the MP package? mostly likely it isn't which would be a shame...
              There is no firefight.
              Spartan ops replaced it. Although you need box live gold to download/play spartan ops.

Played the first mission again now I dare go online. Tis very cool! The sound is especially impressive

Comment

So it does look like the screens? How's the level of AA?

The lack of it in Reach bothered me from start to finish and no matter how hard I tried I could only tune it out in the last few hours of the game

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial View Post
                  So it does look like the screens? How's the level of AA?

The lack of it in Reach bothered me from start to finish and no matter how hard I tried I could only tune it out in the last few hours of the game
                  It's higher resolution than Reach so immediately less jaggy ( native 720p) it also has some kind of AA on top of that. It also doesn't have the same Ghosting/blur so its much cleaner as you move.

It does have jaggies, but noticeably less than any halo game before.
                  Last edited by EvilBoris; 04-11-2012, 18:48.

Comment

In comparison to Reach how much of an improvement is the multiplayer?

Comment

Wow. Just doing some more campaign. The graphics are mind blowing, really really pretty too.

I've started to encounter new enemies, playing on heroic it's actually quite intense, I don't know how to deal with them in the same way as the elites and grunts.

Comment

the absence of Firefight is a shame, especially since Spartan Ops is hardly a replacement in terms of gameplay.

Originally posted by Nishimori View Post
                        In comparison to Reach how much of an improvement is the multiplayer?
                        next to nobody even played it. give it some weeks and ask again

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                          the absence of Firefight is a shame, especially since Spartan Ops is hardly a replacement in terms of gameplay.
                          next to nobody even played it. give it some weeks and ask again
                          There were about 70k players online 24/7 in the last 6 months.
                          Spartan ops should be cool, the intro FMV is phenomenally high quality, to have a whole separate campaign with more than that is a-ok with me.
                          Firefight was fun in ODST, but next to multiplayer in reach , I must of played it like 5 times.

I'd already played about 10 hours of Halo 4 Multiplayer prior to having the game, but I didn't have access to all the official playlists.
                          It's still very much Halo, there is no escaping that, it's distinctly faster paced, which I really like, but an inexperienced player may find that even more of-putting as you due more often!

In infinity slayer you have instant respawns so at least you can instantly jump straight back in for another pop at someone.
                          The playlists that are there seem very skewed towards the larger game types, which I think to start with gives a little more breathing space , especially as the maps are so much bigger.

Was playing some oddball earlier, which now has its own playlist. You can actually throw and catch the ball, you automatically catch it when it touches you. This leads to same cool team work coming into play that couldn't happen before as you pass the ball between your team mates. Interestingly you can also use this mechanic during a firefight by throwing it at your enemy, who ends up holding it and defenceless against your now gun filled hands.

I've just got to the campaign mission shown at E3, which outside of the cutscene, still looked to have the graphical weakness of 3, it was very reminiscent of the first level of Halo 3. Holy **** I was wrong, it's like the next gen came early, some witchcraft has surely been used to make it look this good.

Story is pretty menacing too!
                          Last edited by EvilBoris; 04-11-2012, 20:05.

Comment

Thanks for the first impressions, can't wait. Been playing a bit of MLG again (forgot how good the playlist was) to get used to the quicker pace. It's about time they made Halo quicker.

Oh and might not be the best place to post this but if you own an AMEX card this might be worth doing:

Comment

I do indeed have an Amex. Will get me some if that. If you are a fan of MLG you'll be pleased to know the DMR is close to ZB.

Comment

Working...
                              X