R: Racing Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marcus
    And also one of the first tracks being played in Arcade mode, please dont marvel at the driving, its just for demonstrative purposes:

R: Racing Evolution In-Game 12 Meg
    Can you zoom the camera out any further behind the car?

Can you race more laps than that?

Comment

Ill find out more tomorrow as I havent had the chance to sit down with it properly. So far as I can tell you only have the two views, although I seriously doubt many people will use the outside view to play this game in all honesty, whilst the in-car view seems fine to me.

Comment

Does being the woman character enhance the experience or make the game seem more restrictive? I don`t like the idea of only having one character, a whole cast of people to choose would of been cool.

That vid Marcus posted of the game really made me sad. Apart from the balloons in the sky the game may aswell be a GT3 clone. Is it that mundane throughout the game. Is there any excuberance to the design, any colourful flair? I hope the rest of the levels are more exciting, as that first level leaves me cold.

I think there are two camps when it comes to RR games. Those that love the enchanting tecno colour power of the originals and those that like the more sombre hardcore style of RR4/5. I for one love the originals and after F-ZeroGX it has been proven that the old skool classics can be updated graphically but also maintain the style and design of the old-skool. As FZGX proves, the classic styles can cause just as much a buzz as anything new.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaser
          Does being the woman character enhance the experience or make the game seem more restrictive?
          Are you referring to reverse parking and joining motorways from slip roads?

Comment

So ignoring the fact that it's not a ridge racer game, how competent do you think it is against other serious racers? Is it just "on a par" so not really worth bothering with or does it bring anything else to the table?

Comment

Sounds cool, now i need d cash to buy it, dam being a student is so ****e.

Comment

I've been playing it for a couple of hours (XBOX). Technically, it is sound. I expected nothing less from NAMCO though, and all of their games are normally incredibly tight and well coded. The graphics engine runs at a nice smooth 60fps, and the scenery/car detail can holdit'sown against any of the current crop. The presentation is top notch too, with a great intro.

Whether or not it brings enough to the genre though remains to be seen. At this point, I can't really see anything that sets it apart enough to lure Gran Turismo players away. There is nothing wrong with the game, and from what I've seen, it is at least as competent as Project Gotham 2 or Gran Turismo 3. I was personally hoping it would be Ridge 6 with all it's arcade style gameplay left intact, although I knew this was impossible. As it stands, it's a good solid "serious" driving game with airtight programming and NAMCO's presentation. Definitely worth checking out.

Comment

Nice Vids.
                  Just waiting on my gamecube copy to arrive from play-asia. From what ive seen its so far so good.
                  Im guessing its one of those games people are going to love or hate.

Comment

Im in agreement with you Vaipon, on the one hand this seems like a good accomplished game, yet on the other hand I feel sad that the series I love has chosen to go down this route.

Comment

AC mode? check
                      Fantasy tracks? check
                      Girls? check
                      The Namco sound? check
                      Cool cars? check

Sorry for interrupt the religious meeting but I think I can live with the changes (I hope) *runs out*

Comment

Originally posted by marcus
                        Im in agreement with you Vaipon, on the one hand this seems like a good accomplished game, yet on the other hand I feel sad that the series I love has chosen to go down this route.
                        Don't forget though, this isn't strictly a Ridge Racer game. Quite what the future for actual pukka RR games is is anyone's guess.

Comment

Don't think there is anywhere traditional Ridge can go; V was pretty much spot on, perfecting the well-known Ridge racing mechanism.

R: sounds nice, looks nice too - gonna go buy...

Comment

Spent the afternoon drooling over this at Vaipons....And its a cracker IMO. Just what i expected from Namco, super polished game engine running at 60pfs, lush looking cars, fantastic tracks and the music is spot on....Great alround

R:Racing Evolution

True its a shame about the true Ridge series, but Namco are probably looking to steal some of PGR2 and GT4's thunder....
                            Lets hope they will fund another RR game off the back of this one....

Comment

Is there anyone able to offer a simple JPN translation for some of the menu's. About half of it i've worked out, but there's a couple of menu's that confuse me (the one after a 'Racing Life' event) plus a few things i can't find like Auto Save(?). Also, which sound option is Surround Sound? (i assume it's the 3rd one)

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                                Don't think there is anywhere traditional Ridge can go;

Comment

Working...
                                X