No announcement yet.

Earth Defense Force 2025 (360/PS3) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm loving that no matter what forum I look at, all the people are saying the same thing, yes the game has a few faults, but they're absolutely loving it! They're probably even more rabidly enthusiastic than us!

I'm trying to think what I'd change for the PS4 version, and there's not much, to be honest:
    Some people are struggling with the framerate on PS3. I've found 360 to be pretty solid and only the last level has had any slow down.

I think a sprint option is due for the next game. Air Raider and Ranger don't have the dash abilities of the Wing Diver and Fencer and I fail to believe gambolling diagonally across half of Tokyo is less strenuous than a bit of a sprint!

Part of the beauty of EDF is the daring attempts of levels tougher than you're ready for. Doing an Inferno run to get new weapons to test out or to acquire a certain one you're after is great fun and part of the charm and the thrill. However, grinding for armour needs to be streamlined. Maybe if armour was universal across all classes, there'd be less of a grind and forcing people to rubber-band some levels to get their stats up. If you get to 1000 armour with one class, then all your classes get it. That way, the subsequent playthroughs with the other characters won't feel like such a backward step and practically starting from scratch again.

There needs to be a prettier solution to collecting pickups. Getting down to one ant and rolling around the map collecting the last power-up is a bit of an archaic technique. If there was a location to get to, like in some 2017 maps, that triggered the end, then there'd be less of a scrabble for treats at the end. One player can get to the extraction point and when everybody is ready, they can trigger the end of the level at their own pace.

Am I being a greedy Gus by asking for just a few more enemies? Wasps and dragons are a great addition, but a few more colossal beasts like the centipede or the Godzilla clone would've been the cherry on top.

These are definitely not complaints, just suggestions to make a great game even bettererer!

Comment

PS4 what is this lunacy?!
      No Grinding? Sprint button? I know it's April 1st but what ever next? All guns auto aim, infinite health, no Friendly fire, all shots on enemy = 1 hit kills so Robster can survive?

EDF is has and always will be about investment to your game.
      If you do not contribute to your overall game you will be stuck in the same place, moving at a snails place. With great frustrations all round, both offline & online (for everyone else).

The baby steps 1000 factor, is purely to get yourself used to the basic operation of your selected EDF soldier flavour. I actually welcome the weapon level cap in online mode? As without it this game would be over & done already!
      I don't even see the point in the offline modes existence tbh (other than if you had no XBL, and then wtf are you doing? This is amazing with online buddies!), the online formula seems to be calculated very well. With no impassable levels, on any character so far?
      Its about knowing your limits. The armour quantity target levels are what balance the game! If you've only invested minimal time you're going to understandably struggle to complete/work with people who have put in 100+ hours gameplay, as will bringing the wrong tools to the job.

The easy levels are there purely to GRIND your development there is no need to needlessly grind any further, repeatedly (by underhand means) to escalate your progression.

The only change they should make going forwards is one where the game recognises these RUBBER BANDING damfoo's and DELETES THEIR ENTIRE SAVE FILE HISTORY ACROSS ALL GAMES!

The last ant standing pick routine is a bit meh, but ideally you'd have picked them all up any how? I'm certain that the ones that do get away are always the Lysander2, where we've had stuff left and someone's closed the level with a rogue greeny
      However I'd never change this as it is part and parcel of the EDF way.

More enemies yes yes YES! As I said last night, not metal refurbs. Real new baddies! How & why the Godzilla esq creature isn't here I don't even know? The Centipede & other prev EDF stuff, the Mantids... Maan I loved those! But they really need moths, caterpillars, slugs that slow you down & goopily dissolve you.. Oh and some flies!

Thanks to Chimp for last night, seeing in my 2nd characters Normal difficulty completion
      He thought we'd struggle on Legion Of Monsters, I simply refused to allow this fear to be acknowledged = We smashed it, 1st time!

Comment

EDF Rapid tank deployment technique!

Comment

What missions, and at which difficulties, are you guys playing at the moment (Xbox 360)? I'm seven missions away from completing a Normal playthrough of the whole game, playing with a Wing Diver and dragging a Ranger along for the ride (or vice versa). After that, I'll try and join your games more often and play whatever class / difficulty seems fitting. The Fencer seems like a fun class to play next, though.

Comment

Well Katsu has done both Wing Diver and Ranger on Normal and I've done Air Raider.

I'm currently working my way through Hard and have done about 20 missions.

I'm really enjoying the gradual progression as you get more toys to test out. The railgun tank took out shield bearers in 3 shots and made short work of the hectors too!

Feel free to join me as I trek through Hard.
            I could help you finish those last few Normal levels too if you're struggling. "Legion of Monsters" is no walk in the park!
            Last edited by QualityChimp; 02-04-2014, 17:01.

Comment

After a couple of failed missions with underpowered chumps, I managed to get onto a game with a couple of good guys. No comms, but they were making good use of the in-game commands.

Working our way through Hard difficulty, we managed to stroll through the levels I thought we'd struggle on and even picked up a selection of weapons on the way. One of the issues with farming Inferno is that you get all sorts of overpowered weapons you can't take into the lower settings, so it's nice to get some you can use.

Not only did I get a new helicopter that's an upgrade from the earliest one, that can take down a couple of dropships before running out of ammo (and multiple hectors), but I also got a great new web gun, the level 26 Wire Shot.

This bad boy sends out 50 strands of web simultaneously, which is like a shotgun that keeps hurting the more they struggle.
              I was taking down red ships, hectors and shield bearers with one shot and basic dropships with about 5.
              There's a great level in the early thirties that has two waves of hectors, then loads of insects then more hectors. Whilst the hectors were distracted by the cannon fodder troops, I was running between their legs and taking them out with one shot at the robocrotch.

It's the game that keeps on giving!

Comment

While doing my playthrough on Normal (solo, by the way), I started a mission called 'Legion of Monsters'. When the mission began, I was dumbstruck for a while thinking 'where do I start?'. I thought I'd deal with the King Spider first, from as far as possible, and things were going smoothly until the other enemies noticed me... After that humbling experience, I decided these last few missions were too hard for tackling solo and started a playthrough on Hard, where at least I'm doing good progress.

I love the stupid song the AI-controlled soldiers sometimes sing!

Comment

Just scored myself a copy of this at ?19.99 on the Xbox360 from my local GAME branch. So will be joining the fight at some point in the near future once I clear Dark Souls II.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                    I started a mission called 'Legion of Monsters'. When the mission began, I was dumbstruck for a while thinking 'where do I start?'. I thought I'd deal with the King Spider first, from as far as possible, and things were going smoothly until the other enemies noticed me...
                    I LOVE "Legion of Monsters", it's like Destroy All Monsters if you were the little soldiers getting stomped on by Godzilla and his adversaries. We played it over and over until we found the right combination of weapons! We've done it on Easy and Normal now and having meatier firepower at our disposal made a real difference, but it was no stroll in the park!

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
                    I love the stupid song the AI-controlled soldiers sometimes sing!
                    Have you noticed how they sing different songs, depending on the events that are happening?
                    "The EDF deploooooy!"

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                    Just scored myself a copy of this at ?19.99 on the Xbox360 from my local GAME branch. So will be joining the fight at some point in the near future once I clear Dark Souls II.
                    Great news about the price drop. Thanks for the info, S3M. Hopefully more people will want to dip in at the lower price point.
                    I'd love some more people to experience the shock and awe that some of the missions have!
                    I was really chuckling last night in a tunnel level, because I couldn't see a bleedin' thing past the sea of spider legs, web, ant thoraxes and acid!

I really think that Dark Souls players will get a kick out of EDF 2025 too.
                    MASSIVE bosses - check
                    Co-op gameplay - check
                    INCREDIBLY hard difficulty - check (although completely accessibly, fun and empowering at easier settings)
                    Possibilites to grind XP - check
                    Seemingly endless list of weapons - check
                    Option to experiment different weapon loadouts - check
                    Nearly 100 levels connected to a central hub - check
                    Ridiculously nerdy weapon names - check
                    Breathtaking vistas with enemies as far as the eye can see - check
                    Tactical approaches to tackling levels that have handed you your buttocks back to you - check

Tarrantino once described Kill Bill as a movie within a movie, the kind of thing True Romance's Clarence and Alabama would go and see at a late night cinema showing.

It feels like when you watch people in a videogame playing a videogame, EDF 2025 is what they'd be playing!

Comment

I tried putting a shield on my helicopter last night, but it got destroyed before I took off.

Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way and need to try this!

[hide][/hide]

Brilliant!

Comment

Had a great sesh with randoms playing normal on the mid 40s lvls last night. Game just kept slinging new enemies and scenarios out, it was epic and laugh out loud funny.

Comment

Slightly OT...but EDF 2017 on Vita is less than a 5er at the moment for all your portable bug blasting needs...

Comment

Yes do as the man above says, then join me online as im 1/10 of the way to plating it, not played in a few days on Vita, since 2025 bug ( pun intended ) bite me.

Comment

Team PS3 dealt the Ravager war machine several crippling blows in the mid-70s lvls on INFERNO last night, armed with nary more than pea-shooters, spud-guns and balls of pure steel. It was an epochal set-to that turned the tide of war.

Comment

Awesome sauce!

That's impressive to be up in the latter portion of missions on Inferno. The things that struck me is how many things are tougher on that difficulty. The enemies become bullet sponges, each of their shots does more damage and they fire more at the same time, plus they seem to move about lots faster, especially the flying drones.

Once a swarm of wasps see you, it soon looks like you had an accident in a javelin factory.

Speaking of which, thanks to Kats and Deteros for keeping the wasps busy whilst I leisurely hammered the nest and queen from afar with my Brute chopper. It was a much less stressful affair than having to roll all the way to the top of the hill to bring Kats back to life!

As you say, Golgo, sometimes the chips are down, things are looking grim and only one team member is still standing. Then end is nigh and then... a health pack drops. He rolls to the nearest unconscious comrade who leaps to his feet and gets blasting. The next guy is resuscitated and he's reloaded and ready to rock. The last man is roused from his slumber and suddenly, all four guns are blasting the enemy, pushing them back and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!

It's a beautiful thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X