No announcement yet.

Dark Souls 2 [360, PS3, PC] Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Golgo about the level design, I prefered the way the levels interlinked in the first game, DS2 does feel at lot more like Demon's Souls in that way. Sony own the rights to the Hub level structure as part of the Demon Souls IP but not much else it would seem.

That's said all the game from the souls series are just King's Field 5,6 and 7 just with Monster Hunter style combat. The level structure in KF is also the same as Dark Souls, currently playing King's Field II (PAL version renamed to just KF) and asides from the awful first person combat view it's the same game, you die lots in that too.

Well worth playing if you want a Soul series fix, in between releases Shadow Town and Eternal Ring.
    Link to the feature on the blog here: http://randomisedgaming.tumblr.com/p...ries-you-didnt
    (We need to update it with more DS2 detail now)
    Last edited by S3M; 21-03-2014, 10:27.

Comment

is it possible to invite friends for co-op in this game?

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
      A stable shield probably helps more than rolling, but so far, no luck in finding a good metal shield.
      the Old Knight Shield should be in your inventory by now but you can use it only to full effect with Lv. 24 strengh.

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
      I managed to melee pursuer and I've got a wussy miracle build. All you need

is lock-on at all times and two-handed on your strongest weapon, roll sideways when he dashes, bash him once or twice (as much as you can safely), then back away, rinse and repeat. No need to bother with shield. Only heal - if needed - after he does triple swipe or curse lunge (sword turns blue), as only they give you enough window.
      yes, i studied some youtube videos but timing and patience is really cruical here and i am just too excited everytime i enter the fight. so i eventually i use to make an error which is fatal. almost got him down to 20% health - that was so frustrating...

Originally posted by crocky-chocky View Post
      I cheesed The Pursuer somewhat by making use of (spoilery hint)

an interactive bit of scenery - which you can see before entering the fight if you look from the top of the stairs to the right of the mist.

Full on spoiler:

You can fire the massive crossbow at the far end of the area at him. I was expecting a quarter to maybe half health taken off him. But it just nailed him outright.

Almost disappointingly easy but it's there if you're really struggling.

Probably lost a few man points by admitting that, but I intend to fight him toe-to-toe on NG+!
      yes, i know this EASY WAYS and but like you i want to fight and defeat him solo and like a real Knight
      but if my unlucky series goes on i might summon a phantom for help.

Comment

You can indeed summon people to co-op with. Firstly, you need to be human and secondly, the server needs to be stop being broke with the new patch.

Comment

Guys I'm confused can someone explain what's going on.

Today I turn on DS2 (as a silver XBL membership) and I'm greeted with a new agreement.
          I OK it and get back to playing the game.
          Only now there are summon signs and player messages everywhere, and I can summon multiple phantoms to help me dispatch bosses.

Err... Am I gold now?
          My Xbox system settings still says Silver, I don't get it.
          The xbox website is no help and can't find my membership status on it.
          The Pursuer was too easy with phantoms, I didn't even lay a finger on him and the phantoms wiped him out with the basilisk. What's going on?

(I had previously been playing in undead form, today I decided to use an effigy)
          Last edited by DANGEROUS-3; 21-03-2014, 12:56.

Comment

Pursuer is definitely beatable with pure melee, I beat him as my 2nd boss with leather shield (80% reduction), Mace+1 and standard roll, stuck close to him on his shield side to stop head on charges which would break my poise.

He only uses 3 attacks when up close, triple swings requires dodging to his shield side, maybe a 2nd dodge if your late or had to block the 1st swing(swings diagonally to up to shield, swing back down to his right foot and then lunging chop) you have time behind 2nd swing and the chop to build stamina to smack him once or twice or use that time to get a flask slip in. He'll mix this up sometimes with a tornado spin which is best just to block or dodge away or thrust twice quickly if you get stuck in front of him and there not enough room for him to charge, which can dodged rolling to shield side.

Comment

Originally posted by DANGEROUS-3 View Post
              Err... Am I gold now?
              It's a free Gold weekend starting today

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                It's a free Gold weekend starting today
                I see...

Do u have to be human to summon phantoms on gold?
                Last edited by DANGEROUS-3; 21-03-2014, 13:54.

Comment

You have to be human to summon yes. Also, to summon NPC's too.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                    the Old Knight Shield should be in your inventory by now but you can use it only to full effect with Lv. 24 strengh.
                    They dropped two greatswords, no shields. Guess I'll go grind them.

Comment

i have decided to not waste any more time with grinding and trying to beat bosses sole-style. because i think what i love most about this games series is not fighting the epic bosses but to explore the world. for me it would be best if bosses were totally optional - they annoy me more than anything else today.

so anybody up there tonight for a co-op game or to help me out with the Pursuer boss fight? still no idea how this is supposed to work? do we have to be PSN friends?

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                      They dropped two greatswords, no shields. Guess I'll go grind them.
                      yes, and try to use the rings that raises your loot and luck!

Comment

Originally posted by crocky-chocky View Post
                        It's still flipping great though. Jump in Sketcz!
                        I've been reading everyone's posts and wishing I could. Regardless of preference, I loved the two previous games. I probably put about 100 hours into each.

Too busy with my current project unfortunately for this. Occasional forum browsing is about all I have time for. Reckon I might crack on over the summer though.

Comment

How do I get past the 'a statue blocks your way' problem?

Comment

You need to summon 3 other players and then all hit the statue at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by DANGEROUS-3 View Post
                              How do I get past the 'a statue blocks your way' problem?
                              This would be a statue that looks like a person? If so then

you require a special item called the Fragrant Branch of Yore.

Comment

Originally posted by Uli View Post
                                i have decided to not waste any more time with grinding and trying to beat bosses sole-style. because i think what i love most about this games series is not fighting the epic bosses but to explore the world. for me it would be best if bosses were totally optional - they annoy me more than anything else today.

so anybody up there tonight for a co-op game or to help me out with the Pursuer boss fight? still no idea how this is supposed to work? do we have to be PSN friends?

yes, and try to use the rings that raises your loot and luck!
                                That's an interesting take on the Souls worlds. Without the constant threat of humiliating death by overpowered bosses I couldn't imagine them. Anyway, in answer to your request, you can't summon PSN friends of your choosing for coop, and probably not anyone at all unless and until FROM repair the PSN netcode that they just bust with v. 1.02 patch. Which means...you're probably on your own vs. Pursuer!

Comment

Working...
                                X