No announcement yet.

Dark Souls 2 [360, PS3, PC] Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've started playing this and I'm about an hour in... Although I am taking it very slowly. I have yet to figure out how to use the torch and level up! I walked past the tutorial parts at first and wandered straight to Majula... Anyways my character is ridiculously weak, so I need to figure out how to level up, as the bonfire does not give me the option to do so.

Btw, have we always been able to jump in this game? Or is this a new thing? I never once jumped in the last two games...

So far so good

Comment

Yep, you could always jump but they've made the control input more reliable and easy to execute.

To level up, go to the bonfire in Majula and speak to the woman ion robes next to it.

To use a torch, hit Y/Triangle when stood in front of a bonfire and it will give you the option to light the torch. Use it to light free standing torches in the environment.

Comment

DELETED: tutorial/instruction book queries answered already.
        Last edited by Golgo; 02-04-2014, 13:35.

Comment

Right... Thanks for the info Chopemon... I don't know how I got through the other two games without jumping... As for the torch lighting, I would not have done that... Thanks!

Comment

How did you get loads of the items without jumping haha! Well, I guess you didn't!

Comment

I don't know if Dark 1 ever tutorialised jumping. It would be really easy to see all the items you get from jumping, assume you unlock a walking route to them later and then forget about them.

Comment

Yeah, dark souls is a bit of a bitch for such things! Saying tha, 2 does the same things only with fire and equipment worsening goop!

Comment

I don't know how I got certain items without jumping... I always assumed you just roll over gaps...

Talk about making things even harder for myself... I'm hardcore, I don't read the instruction manuals...

Comment

Instruction booklets? Pah! We all know the manliest thing to do is ask on a forum

Comment

Lol... Yup, always better to share your ignorance to the world than just to yourself...

I have a lot more questions, but think I would probably find the answers to then, by playing more of the game...

Comment

anyone managed to get an understanding of the background story and goals? i am at level 70 already but still have no idea what's going on or what to ultimately accomplish in this world?

Comment

Nope, Uli. I've been pootering about in this world for nearly 40 hours and I haven't got a clue what's going on, apart from me having The CURSE and needing to do something about it. I think the not knowing may be part of the plot as

most NPCs go on about having no recollection of how or why they came to the place

Comment

Yeah plot is terrible this time, I think it might have to do with the cat's dialog not triggering correctly as after you beat

The first four major bosses she then starts talking about who they are and why you need to defeat them.

Even I don't really have a clue as to what's going on, but here's what I've worked out so far bewarned major spoiler

Drangleic has suffer the same fate as Anor londor from the first game and King Vendrick has turned hollowed, the cause of this appears to be the war with the giants that destored the kingdom.

King Vendrick's past from what I've learn is this he defeated the four great one and created a new kingdom on the site of the old one, he also collected souls. Hence why no Dark Souls character reappear as you've guessed it King Vendrick is heavily hinted at being the player character from the first game. Who choose to relight the fires, there is a slight hint that he may not be but it's left to the player to decide, he also appeared to spare Ornstein in his quest to save the first kingdom.

In Dark Souls 2 the player has to create a new Kingdom then travel east, (I have no idea why most of the plot is rubbish.) I'm currently invading the dreams of the giants and it doesn't explain why you have too.

Comment

thanks guys. i see i am not the only one left clueless

today i got my Future Press official guide book (400 pages hardcover - very nice book!) but couldn't find any chapters dedicated to story or quests so far. Dark Souls provided at least some quest structure like ringing the bells first and then go there and accomplish that. here it's just wandering around more or less aimlessly. not that i don't enjoy it but they could have provided a bit more meaning to it.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                                Yeah plot is terrible this time,
                                There's also something about

the Queen, mentioned by the ghostly guy in Drangelic Castle, and probably you need the memories of the giants because Vendrick fought them and it's the only way to have him attack you (and you damage him).

Comment

Working...
                                X